Good Or Bad? Chitin (Crustacean Shells & Crickets)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
n=1 but my girlfriend roasted and ate a single, mature-ish cicada on Saturday and she had a systemic allergic reaction to it. Whole body swelled up, face and hand edema, throat constructed, irritated insides.

Edit: I would have eaten one too but her and her brother who also ate one both said it tasted like peanut butter, which am I deathly allergic to.

I read this today and thought of your girlfriend's shrimp reaction cjm. You should check and see if the shrimp you used has Sodium Tripolyphosphate. Apparently it causes a variety of extreme reactions in people. They basically use it to prolong the appearance of aging seafood. She could have had a histamine reaction from the deceptively not fresh shrimp or had a bad reaction to this chemical, if the shrimp came from a restaurant it most certainly had it. I have only found a couple of brands that don't have it, and can taste it in restaurant shrimp.

"Because sodium tripolyphosphate can improve the appearance of seafood like shrimp and scallops, there is some concern that unscrupulous salespeople may sell products that are not fresh to consumers who cannot see the signs that the items have started to go bad. Although it cannot be used specifically for this purpose, this chemical also holds in water, making the seafood heavier and therefore more expensive. Some food quality experts recommend asking a fishmonger or other salesperson for seafood that has not been
treated with this chemical. Some stores will mark products that have not been exposed to STPP as "dry."
-http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-sodium-tripolyphosphate.htm

Sadly, there is FDA requirements to label foods with sodium tripolyphosphate, but several manufacturers have begun to do so. Even though deemed safe for ingestion, this is one chemical you want to avoid if you've experienced reactions due to eating frozen fish. Check for seafood products labeled as "dry" which means they have not been contaminated with the chemical. Food products labeled as "wet" have usually been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate.

STPP, is a suspected neurotoxin according to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health’s (NIOSH) Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances. Food-grade STPP may cause acute
skin irritation, and prolonged contact with skin should be avoided. STPP is listed on the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency’s Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act as a registered pesticide and it is also registered as an air contaminant under California’s Occupational and Safety Health Act. The material safety data sheet lists STPP as toxic to the lungs with prolonged exposure having the potential to produce organ damage. This neurotoxin also has the ability to cause internal inflammation from those suffering from autoimmune diseases. Inflammation leads to painful flare-ups."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I had my first serving of cricket powder today! I mixed1 TB ofvthe powder, which is 5 grams of protein, in a half cup of room temperature water and added in a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar and it tasted like a malted. Because it tasted so exactly like that I am gonne have my next one blended with milk, ice, sugar, salt and maybe a little vanilla. It was really tasty!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
2 tablespoons has 11 grams of protein!

Attachments

• 20210618_083943.jpg
    20210618_083943.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 14
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Interesting that the Bible considers crickets to be "clean" food and the pig to be "unclean" food. Unclean foods were considered unhealthy, unsafe and disgusting.

Attachments

• 20210618_092507.jpg
    20210618_092507.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 6
OP
Rinse & rePeat
That is what Lufenuron is for supposedly, to break down the chitin in candida and kill the fungus.
Good to know Dave! If I get a fungal or candida infection I hope I remember this. I don't use anything on a daily basis, especially suppliments. I like to use high quality things like this, or brewers yeast or these Maitakes (for their vitamin D) once in awhile on days when am lacking in nutrition or when groceries are low.

Attachments

• 20210619_143622.jpg
    20210619_143622.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 10
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I had no idea eating crickets is considered a sweet delicacy!

Attachments

• 20210621_124508.jpg
    20210621_124508.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210621_124552.jpg
    20210621_124552.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210621_124631.jpg
    20210621_124631.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 9
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"When I first went to Mexico to study, many traditional foods were still available even in the city--fried pig skin, served crisp or boiled with a sauce, blood tacos, cartilaginous parts of various animals, chicken-foot soup, crustaceans, insects, etc. Later, when I studied biochemistry, I realized that each part of an organism has a characteristic chemistry and special nutritional value. I knew of Weston Price's research on traditional diets, and his argument that the degenerative “diseases of civilization” were produced by the simplified diets that are characteristic of the highly industrialized societies." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I wonder if chitin can work for those suffering IBS this study certainly looks promising!

"Crab, shrimp and lobster shells contain carbohydrates, calcium and protein. Shibata and his colleagues designed the active carbohydrates in these crustaceans by removing the calcium and protein and making small particles with the carbohydrates that are similar to bacteria, called mimetic microbes. They have developed an oral form of this substance as a dietary supplement. The team has demonstrated that oral administration of chitin microparticles reduces disease conditions of allergic asthma, food allergies, colitis and food borne infections in animal models and seasonal allergies in humans. They have also conducted additional studies to advance their understanding of the mechanisms underlying the effects of chitin microparticles on macrophage activation.

"In this new study, we are going to focus on intestinal macrophages and how these mimetic microbes we have developed can produce anti-inflammatory activities, normalize the gut bacterial flora and ultimately improve the symptoms associated with inflammatory bowel disease," said Shibata."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Cordyceps is a genus of parasitic fungi that grows on the larvae of insects.

When these fungi attack their host, they replace its tissue and sprout long, slender stems that grow outside the host’s body.

The remains of the insect and fungi have been hand-collected, dried and used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for centuries to treat fatigue, sickness, kidney disease and low sex drive.

Supplements and products containing Cordyceps extract have become increasingly popular due to their many purported health benefits.

Of the more than 400 species of Cordyceps discovered, two have become the focus of health research: Cordyceps sinensis and Cordyceps militaris.

However, much of this research is limited to animal or lab studies, so health experts currently can’t draw conclusions about their effects on people.

However, their potential health benefits are promising."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Cordyceps – a powerful medicinal mushroom has been acknowledged in Chinese medical books and Tibetan medicine for a long time. This plant is a rare combination of caterpillar and fungus. Cordyceps grows in Sikkim, an Indian state bordering Nepal, Tibet and Bhutan, at altitudes above 4,500 m. Two of the over 400 species of Cordyceps have become the main priority of health research – Cordyceps militaris and Cordyceps sinensis.

Some studies suggest, that different strains of cordyceps, or some components inside this mushroom may have different beneficial effects on the human body, which include immune, anti-tumor, anti-metastatic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, hypolipidemic, hypoglycemic, anti-aging, neuroprotective, and renoprotective effects (1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 , 10, 11, 12, 13). However, more studies need to be done on humans, so do not start to self medicate before you fully learn about cordyceps different strains and consult your doctor.

Traditional healers and local people of Sikkim suggest Cordyceps sinensis for multiple health problems as a single drug or together with other herbs. For instance, these folk healers use it to cure as much as 21 different health conditions (2, 15).

In traditional Chinese medicine, it has been hand-picked and dried for centuries to treat fatigue, kidney disease, low sex drive and many more illnesses. The long history and the potential benefits of Cordyceps might be the reasons why food supplements and other products containing Cordyceps are achieving so much admiration."

LoryEl

Rinse any update on the chitosan? How was your experiment with it? Thank you

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse any update on the chitosan? How was your experiment with it? Thank you

I forgot about this thread! I bought the cricket powder and the freeze dried crickets and thought they both tasted great. I didn't feel any effects good or bad from them, but I am impressed with the protein content. I have been boiling shrimp, crab and lobster shells for years to make seafood bisques. Using the shells, which would otherwise be thrown away makes for a thrifty, but decadent meal. The one thing that I am most impressed about with the crickets is the very high B12 content, with zero iron, in a very little amount. At the very least they make a great emergency food.

Attachments

• 20220302_095727.jpg
    20220302_095727.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220302_095745.jpg
    20220302_095745.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220302_095808.jpg
    20220302_095808.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
Rinse & rePeat