Good Or Bad? Chitin (Crustacean Shells & Crickets)

Tarmander

Chitosan is pretty cool stuff. Not sure on Chitin. Probably has much more potential as an allergen.

Since being on it for a month I have lost a few pounds and I will get some blood work results back this week to see if anything else has changed.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Chitosan is pretty cool stuff. Not sure on Chitin. Probably has much more potential as an allergen.

Since being on it for a month I have lost a few pounds and I will get some blood work results back this week to see if anything else has changed.
Oh I hope you will share your results! I am pretty excited about it myself. I have not read anything bad.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"One of many substances produced by plants in response to injury is chitinase, an enzyme that breaks down chitin, a polysaccharide that is a structural component of fungi and insects."
-Ray Peat

I have read many good things about the benefits of consuming crustacean shells. Besides being made of calcium carbonate it also contains chitin, which has many proven health benefits from kidney health to reducing inflammation in the body to even losing weight.

I have read that chitin from dust mites can cause lung problems and I would go so far as to say that possibly breathing in the steam from cooking the shells may be problematic, but I wouldn't think anymore than the toxic steam coming off the cooked mushrooms that Ray Peat warns of, and contains chitin.

Considering that nose to tail is a healthy, and that John The Baptist ate locusts, I am wondering if it may add or subtract to our health. I boil shrimp and crab shells, that I have frozen, for an hour or less and get the most flavorful stock to boil shrimp in for shrimp cocktail, to make crab, lobster or shrimp bisque, to make chowders or Asian soups or just to drink cold with a little coconut water & salt. I have even fried shrimp shells in coconut oil on high heat till crispy and throw in a little sugar and salt at the last minute for a yummy crispy kettle corn like snack.

With the world getting so precarious I don't mind looking outside of our normal supermarket food chain for other alternatives, and I don't want to think that my lobster bisque is not a good thing. Can you believe they sell cricket flour?

"Several studies have demonstrated that chitin-glucan reduced wrinkling and skin-ageing, suggesting an interaction between the chitin-glucan and cells of the epidermis. Although these effects may not be attributed to chitin alone, this does demonstrate the strong biological potential of chitin on cells of the human body."

PopRBop

"GOOD," I say.

But cricket dust? Ehhhh... :spitoutdummy:

I'll just stick to mushrooms. I'm sure I'm just rePeating Peat's sentiments on that choice.

orangeUglad

Interesting thread! Cause I see the words "dehumanizing" and "chinese" in some comments I gotta tell a little story: My boyfriend from Cameroon (Africa) said the Chinese keep getting caught running human meat factories in Africa...is that disturbing or what?

S-VV

Like Travis said many moons ago, chitin (GlcNAc polymers) is a great fungal growth stimulator. Dangerous for people dealing with fungal issues

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Interesting thread! Cause I see the words "dehumanizing" and "chinese" in some comments I gotta tell a little story: My boyfriend from Cameroon (Africa) said the Chinese keep getting caught running human meat factories in Africa...is that disturbing or what?
Oh that made my stomach turn! Have you ever found any truth to that?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Like Travis said many moons ago, chitin (GlcNAc polymers) is a great fungal growth stimulator. Dangerous for people dealing with fungal issues
Thanks for that bit of infor S-VV. That is why it is good to know, and weigh, the pros and cons of everything we eat. Would that mean that a person that is dealing with fungus can't have mushrooms either, since they have chitin in them, and are a fungus also?

Last edited:

cjm

chitin can activate the immune system, don't know if it's good or bad

Not sure on Chitin. Probably has much more potential as an allergen.

n=1 but my girlfriend roasted and ate a single, mature-ish cicada on Saturday and she had a systemic allergic reaction to it. Whole body swelled up, face and hand edema, throat constructed, irritated insides.

Edit: I would have eaten one too but her and her brother who also ate one both said it tasted like peanut butter, which am I deathly allergic to.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
n=1 but my girlfriend roasted and ate a single, mature-ish cicada on Saturday and she had a systemic allergic reaction to it. Whole body swelled up, face and hand edema, throat constructed, irritated insides.

Edit: I would have eaten one too but her and her brother who also ate one both said it tasted like peanut butter, which am I deathly allergic to.
Yeah that is a definite allergy. I have histamine intolerance and I ate a half pound of BBQ shrimps this past Sunday AND their shells and tails and felt better than usual the next morning. Of course if I had done that with grocery store shrimp that have already been defrosted and sitting in the case, for God knows how long, that would be a different story. Shellfish is something you should always eat right away just defrosted. Sitting refrigerated for days creates an alarming amount of histamines and potential anaphylaxis.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"GOOD," I say.

But cricket dust? Ehhhh... :spitoutdummy:

I'll just stick to mushrooms. I'm sure I'm just rePeating Peat's sentiments on that choice.
Ok then none of my bisque for you PopRBob ?

Attachments

• 20210309_204414.jpg
    20210309_204414.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 7

Missenger

Funny enough in Wisconsin they just OK'd dissolving human bodies with acid and spreading their fluids around on crops like fertilizer in their senate government.

S-VV

Thanks for that bit of infor S-VV. That is why it is good to know, and weigh, the pros and cons of everthibg we eat. Would that mean that a person that is dealing fungas can't have mushrooms either, since they have chitin in them, and they are a fungus also?
Since chitin is a necessary component of the fungal cell wall, I think it would greatly benefit intestinal fungii, to the detriment of the host :( Maybe mushrooms are different because they have many germicidal compounds, Ray has a crush on them, so they may be a net positive

orangeUglad

Funny enough in Wisconsin they just OK'd dissolving human bodies with acid and spreading their fluids around on crops like fertilizer in their senate government.

Lord have mercy. Sadly not too surprised with what I've been learning lately. Do you all know 8 million children go missing each year world-wide?

Tarmander

Oh I hope you will share your results! I am pretty excited about it myself. I have not read anything bad.
kidney values went down actually a bit. Lost 5 pounds since the previous appointment in Feb. Overall no real effects I noticed other then the weight loss

OP
Rinse & rePeat
kidney values went down actually a bit. Lost 5 pounds since the previous appointment in Feb. Overall no real effects I noticed other then the weight loss
Well that sounds promising then! We got our crickets in and had them night before last and yesterday I woke feeling leaner in the middle. I also bought cricket powder, but haven't tried it yes. It smelled pleasantly malty. Are taking chitin capsules?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom