Family meals

DharmaBunny

Hi, I'm looking to incorporate Peaty principles, going pretty slowly as I have avoided milk and yoghurt for years and get a reaction to it. I also react to eggs at present, which does restrict things somewhat.

I avoid PUFA in home cooking already, and am aiming to do a daily carrot salad as I think that will have a positive effect quickly on my guts, but the main obstacle would seem to be constructing meals and meal plans that the whole family will enjoy.

I have two children, who are both picky in different ways, and one husband who likes brown food - chicken and chips, cheese sandwiches, pizza, you get the picture.

I'm thinking curry would be ok from a Peat perspective? Try for lamb rather than chicken and start making my own curry paste rather than storebought.

Oxtail/lamb shank with mashed potatoes - what about regular beef stew?

Fish pie?

Any suggestions for Peaty lunches for the kids?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
DharmaBunny, :welcome

French fries in coconut oil is pretty awesome if tolerated. You can make gummy bears for the kids snacks. Check in the recipe section you might see some stuff there that will help.

Mittir

If you do not have problem with cottage cheese you can easily add it to meals
for high quality protein. In youtube there are many recipes on sweet treats
made of sugar and farmers cheese. Sugar and cottage cheese mix is very tasty.

You can make gummy bears with OJ and gelatin.
If you make fried food make sure those are fried in butter, coconut oil or tallow.

If you are not using milk you have to find a good source of calcium to balance all the
phosphorus in meat and fish.

The most important part of his recommendation is avoiding PUFA.

OP
D

DharmaBunny

Oh yes, I'll be buying a deep fat fryer in a few months and I've found a good bulk buy price for refined coconut oil on ebay. :cool:
The Losing Creek Farm blog's Potato is brilliant too.

I had some cottage cheese last week and it didn't seem to have any negative effects, which is great for me. The kids weren't interested, but I don't think they've had it before. Maybe if it was mixed in with something they might be more interested.

I'm certainly up for making jelly and other gummy treats, how do standard Haribo hold up? Too many additives?

I'll probably try a calcium supplement for me and the littlest one is still breastfed, but I'll see if I can get my lad drinking milk every day. He usually likes cheese and always eats yoghurt, but I understand there's a problem with yoghurt?

Stopping using processed foods is the main issue for me, as I say we'll be getting a chip pan, but I can't find the plain corn tortillas I read about somewhere?

I'm also a little unsure of where on the scale of bad-indifferent-good grains/flour etc. stand?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I had some cottage cheese last week and it didn't seem to have any negative effects, which is great for me. The kids weren't interested, but I don't think they've had it before. Maybe if it was mixed in with something they might be more interested.
Mixed in simple syrup makes it yummy.

I'm certainly up for making jelly and other gummy treats, how do standard Haribo hold up? Too many additives?
Better off making your own.

I'll probably try a calcium supplement for me and the littlest one is still breastfed, but I'll see if I can get my lad drinking milk every day. He usually likes cheese and always eats yoghurt, but I understand there's a problem with yoghurt?
The lactic acid and also high bacteria load is not optimal.

Stopping using processed foods is the main issue for me, as I say we'll be getting a chip pan, but I can't find the plain corn tortillas I read about somewhere?
Can make your own using masa harina, just do a search here and you will find info on it.

I'm also a little unsure of where on the scale of bad-indifferent-good grains/flour etc. stand?
Bad, all of them. ;)

Mittir

RP recommends egg shell powder as a good source of calcium.
He thinks the quality of most commercial supplement is very poor
and often a source of allergens due to impurities and bad excipient.
Some people are allergic to egg shell powder. If you choose to use
supplement try something without bad ingredients and he thinks
calcium carbonate is the best kind of calcium.
This site has list of good supplements. http://www.toxinless.com/
You can also try food grade slaked lime ( calcium hydroxide)' that is used in processing masa harina .
He also mentioned chewing on soft bones.

He thinks people with bad bacteria and digestive problem should completely avoid starch.
If someone choose to eat starch it should be boiled at least 40 minutes.
Masa harina and white rice are relatively safer than other grain products.
Starch should be eaten with a lot of saturated fat to minimize its harmful effects.

You can also make your own farmers cheese by just adding lemon juice to boiled milk.
But this lacks calcium. Most cheese are high in calcium.
Just check the label for calcium content.
RP also recommends weekly serving of beef/lamb liver and seafood.

BingDing

Mittir said:
You can also make your own farmers cheese by just adding lemon juice to boiled milk. But this lacks calcium.

Can you explain this, Mittir? My understanding is the casein portion of milk has the calcium, as calcium phosphate. Farmers cheese is from the casein portion, the same as all cheese, isn't it?

Mittir

BingDing
In cheese making process calcium is lost with whey liquid due to heat and decreased PH.
I believe in most cheeses they add extra calcium, usually in calcium chloride form to make
the curd firmer. IIRC with heat and lowered PH calcium phosphate is released from the casein into whey liquid.
The extent of Calcium and phosphorus loss depends on different cheese making process.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom