Epidemic Influenza And Vitamin D

Kingpinguin

Epidemic influenza and vitamin D

Most people probably seen this but if not good to take a look. Also reveals dosage of vitamim D and during what months etc.
To give you the answer usually september,
October supplementation should start with a dose of 4000-5000 and continue that dose whole winter till summer is comes around.
That should be able to maintain vitamin D levels all year around without risk of toxicity.

The summary:

SUMMARY
In 1981, R. Edgar Hope-Simpson proposed that a ‘seasonal stimulus’ intimately associated with solar radiation explained the remarkable seasonality of epidemic influenza. Solar radiation triggers robust seasonal vitamin D production in the skin; vitamin D deficiency is common in the winter, and activated vitamin D, 1,25(OH)2D, a steroid hormone, has profound effects on human immunity. 1,25(OH)2D acts as an immune system modulator, preventing excessive expression of inflammatory cytokines and increasing the ‘oxidative burst’ potential of macrophages. Perhaps most importantly, it dramatically stimulates the expression of potent anti-microbial peptides, which exist in neutrophils, monocytes, natural killer cells, and in epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract where they play a major role in protecting the lung from infection. Volunteers inoculated with live attenuated influenza virus are more likely to develop fever and serological evidence of an immune response in the winter. Vitamin D deficiency predisposes children to respiratory infections. Ultraviolet radiation (either from artificial sources or from sunlight) reduces the incidence of viral respiratory infections, as does cod liver oil (which contains vitamin D). An interventional study showed that vitamin D reduces the incidence of respiratory infections in children. We conclude that vitamin D, or lack of it, may be Hope-Simpson's ‘seasonal stimulus’.

M

metabolizm

It seems peculiar that places like Spain and Italy, where presumably vitamin D levels are generally higher than normal, are recording drastically more deaths than in somewhere like Scotland, where I'm from, where vitamin D levels are probably very low. Obviously there are many more variables than simply vitamin D levels, but I find it peculiar nonetheless.

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

It seems peculiar that places like Spain and Italy, where presumably vitamin D levels are generally higher than normal, are recording drastically more deaths than in somewhere like Scotland, where I'm from, where vitamin D levels are probably very low. Obviously there are many more variables than simply vitamin D levels, but I find it peculiar nonetheless.

yes there more variables. But as mentioned in previous post lombardy most affected region in italy has high air pollution. Same goes for wuhan and iran.

The effects of air pollution on vitamin D status in healthy women: A cross sectional study

obviously vitamin D is not the cure. But I think it can drastically reduce the severity of COVID-19.
Just a thought tho.

also australia vit D deficiency is common the reason for that is goverment campaign against the danger of sun tanning. Their thin ozone layer. Etc so they are taught to avoid the sun

might be the case with other countries. Also different cities spend more
Time in doors humans in general spend more time indoors.

would not suprise me if
Magnesium deficiency is also
Involved because of magnesiums role in activating vitamin D.

schultz

Vitamin D deficiency is rampant.

However, some of the data from these studies is from 5, 10 or even 20 years ago, and supplementation has become a lot more popular since then.

The thread I was reading before this one was the TB thread that @ecstatichamster started. Anyway I was looking up vitamin D levels in Italians out of interest and found a study showing migrants have extremely low vitamin D levels. This is not a migrant bashing post, but I thought it was interesting because I don't think we realize how common vitamin D deficiency is, even in warmer countries. Also, I doubt old people are going outside and sunbathing. Lots of people think the sun is 'bad'. The 2nd study shows vitamin D in elderly Italians, and even more deficiency in elderly Italians "institutionalized" or "with underlying diseases". The 3rd paper talks about Spain and some other countries as well.

Vitamin D deficiency in refugees in Italy | Reumatismo

Italian Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AME) and Italian Chapter of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) Position Statement: Clinical Management of Vitamin D Deficiency in Adults
"Isaia et al. reported 25(OH)D circulating levels less than 12 ng/mL (30 nmol/L) in 76% of Italian women over 70 years of age, in late Winter. In subjects institutionalized or with underlying diseases, the percentage of subjects with hypovitaminosis D was even more."

"Moreover, in 608 young and healthy women, 30% resulted to be deficient (cut-off of serum 25(OH)D < 20 ng/mL, 50 nmol/L). In younger subjects also, the levels of vitamin D were lower in women and in Winter. The InChianti studio, that from 1998 studies the aging processes on 1107 participants and collects information about diet, sun exposure, disability, kidney function, levels of 25(OH)D and PTH, revealed values of serum vitamin D, on average, higher than 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L) in healthy adults, but significantly reduced in males ≥ 60 years and females ≥ 50 years. In the study by Houston et al., 64% of subjects > 65 years (average 75 years) had values < 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L), and deficiency of vitamin D was found in approximately 30% of women and 14% of males and insufficiency was in 75% of women and 51% of males [36]. Another Italian study on 974 patients, ≥75 years of age, with femoral fracture from 4 large provincial hospitals, located in Central-Northern Italy, showed 25(OH)D circulating mean levels of 12.2 ± 9.4 ng/mL (30.5 ± 23.5 nmol/L) with >50% having <12 ng/mL (30 nmol/L) and only 16% > 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L)."

Also a few other countries mentioned

"In a study on Swedish healthy people, approximately 75% of the subjects had serum 25(OH)D values < 30 ng/mL (<75 nmol/L) during 75% of the year and 50% had serum 25(OH)D < 20 ng/mL (<50 nmol/L) during 50% of the year. In Switzerland, the prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency (serum 25(OH)D levels between 20 ng/mL and 30 ng/mL, 50 nmol/L and 75 nmol/L) and deficiency (<20 ng/mL, <50 nmol/L) was 36% and 38%, respectively. In spite of the much lower latitude, a study from Turkey reported serum 25(OH)D values lower than 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L) in 75% of the cases."

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ency_in_Spain_A_population-based_cohort_study
"One-third (33.9%) of the Spanish population may be at risk for Vitamin D deficiency. The 25-hydroxyvitamin D values above 30 ng/ml can safely discard 'hyper PTH'. The increase in iPTH concentration is greater in older persons for similar values of 25-hydroxyvitamin D."

"Even though Spain is a country with many hours of sunshine, most studies in Spain show a high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency. However, many of these studies have included persons aged 65 years or over, frequently institutionalized persons (thus, not representative of the general population and with different rates of sun exposure, activityand diet)..."

"If we use the reference value of 20 ng/ml, 33.9% of the Spanish population are at risk for vitamin D deficiency, with no significant differences between the study in the north and the study in the south (prevalences of 31.3 and 35.0%,respectively)."

"In elderly people, the prevalence of hypovitaminosis D in France, Belgium, Italy and other countries is >60% (Isaiaet al., 2003; Bou ̈u ̈aertet al., 2008; Annweileret al., 2009)."

schultz

The Hashemipour study below demonstrated a severe vitamin D deficiency in 9.5% among people aged 20-64 in Tehran. Not just a little deficiency, we are talking severe deficiency here, under 10 ng/mL. That's like rickets territory.

Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency among Adult Population of Isfahan City, Iran
"The results of the study in Isfahan, a sunny city located in the central part of Iran, confirms the high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency (50.8%) and insufficiency (19.6%) among the adult population and an even higher prevalence among younger adults and women. The findings showed that women were more likely to be vitamin D-deficient than men, especially for severe vitamin D deficiency (OR=1.4) (Fig. 1). However, there is no significant difference in vitamin D insufficiency between men and women. Although Isfahan is a sunny city, direct exposure to sun is, however, limited. According to legislation, all women are required to wear a scarf and long-sleeve clothes. This is why they have more severe vitamin D deficiency. On the other hand, most men wear long-sleeve shirts, especially those who work in governmental administrations. Fear from skin cancer encourages people to use anti-solar creams on their face. Living in apartments which is increasing due to increased population of the country and tendency to live in big cities are among other factors which restrict exposure to sun in Iran."

"Several studies in different parts of Iran and in different age-groups have shown the high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency (13-17). In a similar study in Tehran among the general population, aged 20-64 years. Hashemipour et al. reported that the prevalence of severe, moderate and mild vitamin D deficiencies was 9.5%, 57.6%, and 14.2% respectively."

According to wikipedia, the Middle East has the highest prevalence of rickets.

Rickets - Wikipedia
"The Middle East, despite high rates of sun-exposure, has the highest rates of rickets worldwide.[31] This can be explained by limited sun exposure due to cultural practices and lack of vitamin D supplementation for breast-feeding women. Up to 70% and 80% of adolescent girls in Iran and Saudi Arabia, respectively, have vitamin D insufficiency. Socioeconomic factors that limit a vitamin D rich diet also plays a role. In the United States, vitamin D insufficiency varies dramatically by ethnicity. Among males aged 70 years and older, the prevalence of low serum 25(OH) D levels was 23% for non-Hispanic whites, 45% for Mexican Americans, and 58% for non-Hispanic blacks. Among women, the prevalence was 28.5%, 55%, and 68%, respectively."

schultz

Vitamin D deficiency contributes directly to the acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). - PubMed - NCBI
"Vitamin D deficiency (plasma 25(OH)D levels <50 nmol/L) was ubiquitous in patients with ARDS and present in the vast majority of patients at risk of developing ARDS following oesophagectomy. In a murine model of intratracheal lipopolysaccharide challenge, dietary-induced vitamin D deficiency resulted in exaggerated alveolar inflammation, epithelial damage and hypoxia."

"Vitamin D deficiency is common in people who develop ARDS. This deficiency of vitamin D appears to contribute to the development of the condition, and approaches to correct vitamin D deficiency in patients at risk of ARDS should be developed."

YourUniverse

Ray said there are at least a few things that impact vitamin D absorption, too. For example, estrogen can impair D absorption, as can a low protein intake. Do Italians eat a low protein diet? The meme is that they love olive oil, maybe other more estrogen-promoting (PUFA) oils, too?

@schultz Your point about the sun being seen as "bad" i think holds tremendous weight. The use of sunscreen in these warm countries is a dual D-impairing and estrogen-promoting tool that is very widely used...

David PS

I have been perplexed by the high rate of the virus in Australia where they are just coming off their summer. see graph at Australia Coronavirus: 3,635 Cases and 14 Deaths - Worldometer

Vitamin D deficiency may help explain the issue. The high risk groups in vitamin D deficiency in Australia are quite similar to the high risk group for the virus here in the US. Vitamin D deficiency in Australia - Wikipedia

Take a 20 minute walk outside in the sun and do not worry about skin cancer (edit, for a few weeks).

Last edited:
OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

I have been perplexed by the high rate of the virus in Australia where they are just coming off their summer. see graph at Australia Coronavirus: 3,635 Cases and 14 Deaths - Worldometer

Vitamin D deficiency may help explain the issue. The high risk groups in vitamin D deficiency in Australia are quite similar to the high risk group for the virus here in the US. Vitamin D deficiency in Australia - Wikipedia

Take a 20 minute walk outside in the sun and do not worry about skin cancer (edit, for a few weeks).

As your body stores of vitamin D increases the respons of the skin to become dark increases. darker skin protects from skin cancer. Thus being used to the sun/ making sure you get enough vitamin D helps the body tremendously to ward of skin burn/ dna damager/ cancer. Of course one should start slow and it depends on genetic factors aswell. But the body knows what its doing. We lived under the sun since... since forever.

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

D616819A-4E96-46C4-9C78-2DCB6ADDE412.jpeg

For people curious about dosing 125 nmol/ 50ng/ml according to the studies I looked at seems to be the cut of where more vitamin D stops having a positive impact on humans. So I would say 50ng/ml seems to be optimal. Thats why I drew the black line.
A daily dose of 4000 IU would eventually equate a steady 50ng/ml blood level according to this chart. Then you also have to consider your sun exposure. Northern hemisphere should basically start supplementing already in september/october then continue with that untill next
Summer

Kunstruct

Ray said there are at least a few things that impact vitamin D absorption, too. For example, estrogen can impair D absorption, as can a low protein intake. Do Italians eat a low protein diet? The meme is that they love olive oil, maybe other more estrogen-promoting (PUFA) oils, too?

I believe they are consuming lots of cured meats, at least this what I have bought from Italian manufacturers, various salami and various cut meats that are cured to various degrees.
I am not sure if these are not high in oxalates and other things that could be raising histamines?

David PS

I was just reading "A 33-year-old member of the Louisiana governor's staff dies of coronavirus complications". If she is the overweight black person in the picture, it might be she had a low Vitamin D deficiency. Of course, there is no mention of Vitamin D in the article.
April Dunn, 33, dies after testing positive for coronavirus - CNN

Beastmode

I started a thread asking about everyone's levels and how it correlates to them having "flu like" symptoms. What's Your Vitamin D Levels?

It's one part of the system, but what a great group to get an overall idea how it correlates for each of us.

nad

I'm the walking example of how complicated and controversial things are, and everything ''depends of..,'' and we don't know exactly depend of what. Looks like nobody knows.
Because we all different, in different condition and situation.
Any study can't predict anything for everything.
Five years here, still can't put thing together, still not enough knowledge to solve problems, which bound to each others, I don't know nothing!
It's like too small blanket - you cover legs - head's not covered, pull it on to the head - legs get exposed.
Looking for, searching, found some, try - oops ! Fail! And again, and again.
Vit. D is one from the list.
I don't remember numbers from the beginning, since they start to check (why? it wasn't checked before few years ago),
my Dr. told me ''it's enough". I took some at winter anyway, just ''in case''.
At Fall 2018 it was 30, start to supplementing 2000 then 5000/day fall, winter, summer also despite all summer outside.
So, plenty of sun,, milk, cheese, butter, cod liver( not oil, canned) beef liver, fruits, sugar,salt,
no PUFA (last 5 years, but 60 years heavy consumer ), coffee,OJ, etc. ''Peaty''. Also B-s, k-2, E,Mg
Plus supplement D.
Test shows 35!!
Benefits? Last ECHO - calcification of all heart's valves (addition to already existing left ventricular
hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction).
@Amazoniac told me I made the damage by taking V-D.

thanks for reading :)

Kunstruct

I'm the walking example of how complicated and controversial things are, and everything ''depends of..,'' and we don't know exactly depend of what. Looks like nobody knows.
Because we all different, in different condition and situation.
Any study can't predict anything for everything.
Five years here, still can't put thing together, still not enough knowledge to solve problems, which bound to each others, I don't know nothing!
It's like too small blanket - you cover legs - head's not covered, pull it on to the head - legs get exposed.
Looking for, searching, found some, try - oops ! Fail! And again, and again.
Vit. D is one from the list.
I don't remember numbers from the beginning, since they start to check (why? it wasn't checked before few years ago),
my Dr. told me ''it's enough". I took some at winter anyway, just ''in case''.
At Fall 2018 it was 30, start to supplementing 2000 then 5000/day fall, winter, summer also despite all summer outside.
So, plenty of sun,, milk, cheese, butter, cod liver( not oil, canned) beef liver, fruits, sugar,salt,
no PUFA (last 5 years, but 60 years heavy consumer ), coffee,OJ, etc. ''Peaty''. Also B-s, k-2, E,Mg
Plus supplement D.
Test shows 35!!
Benefits? Last ECHO - calcification of all heart's valves (addition to already existing left ventricular
hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction
).
@Amazoniac told me I made the damage by taking V-D.

thanks for reading :)

Can calcification of all heart's valve be exclusive to Vit D? No other enzyme or other hormone can be responsible for such thing?

Last edited:
OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

Can calcification of all heart's valve be exclusive to Vit D? Not other enzyme or other hormone can be responsible for such thing?

yeah no way. Never been seen before specially with a dose of 2000-5000 IU. Then eveyone under the sun would have calcified hearts as just short amount of sun exposure gives you 20 000+ IU

in mice models where the claim that excess vit D causes calcification they use 100 000-500 000 IU per day for a week. Thats a huge dose for an animal small as a mice and would assume that a similair dose in humans would be several milions IU.

No freaking way 2000 IU would cause calcification. More likely @nad got the calcification from her deficiency she was trying to treat and not the other way.

Last edited:

nad

Can calcification of all heart's valve be exclusive to Vit D? No other enzyme or other hormone can be responsible for such thing?
Which one can do those things?
yeah no way. Never been seen before specially with a dose of 2000-5000 IU. Then eveyone under the sun would have calcified hearts as just short amount of sun exposure gives you 20 000+ IU

in mice models where the claim that excess vit D causes calcification they use 100 000-500 000 IU per day for a week. Thats a huge dose for an animal small as a mice and would assume that a similair dose in humans would be several milions IU.

No freaking way 2000 IU would cause calcification. More likely @nad got the calcification from her deficiency she was trying to treat and not the other way.
Yea, that's the puzzle!
How still low level can do it.
Actually last year ECHO didn't find any Ca deposit while test show V-D deficiency.
And I also had and have K-2, and sometimes some Ca carbonate.
That's why I said everything's upside down in me, not like in others and how it ''should be''.
I don't know, only @Amazoniac made this 'verdict'.
So, how to fix it -another hovering in the air question.
I stop it for a couple weeks, now start again, thinking it protective

Which one can do those things?

Yea, that's the puzzle!
How still low level can do it.
Actually last year ECHO didn't find any Ca deposit while test show V-D deficiency.
And I also had and have K-2, and sometimes some Ca carbonate.
That's why I said everything's upside down in me, not like in others and how it ''should be''.
I don't know, only @Amazoniac made this 'verdict'.
So, how to fix it -another hovering in the air question.
I stop it for a couple weeks, now start again, thinking it protective

Diet background? Calcium intake-
How much Protein-What kind of Fats-exercise-General Health-
D is 35?is it ng/ml or nmol/L,either way it is still low.What World Region?

nad

Diet background? Calcium intake-
How much Protein-What kind of Fats-exercise-General Health-
D is 35?is it ng/ml or nmol/L,either way it is still low.What World Region?
Thanks for replay :)
PA, USA.
66 postmenopausal, overweight, not exercise (no energy & desire), fatty liver, H - Pilory , almost no teeth, unstable HBP, calcification of all heart's valves after one year of V-D +CA carb. 500- 1000 mg supplement - additional to already existing left ventricular hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction, mild atherosclerosis of carotids, a lot of others, less important issues.
V-D level not increase after one whole year of supplementing 5000, even w/+ sun exposing in summer.
Every day, sometimes all day long feeling like dying, still not depressed.
Plenty of outside, 1% milk, cheese, butter, cod liver( not oil, canned) beef liver, fruits, sugar, salt,
no PUFA last 5 years, but 60 years heavy consumer , coffee, OJ, etc. -''Peaty''. Also Vs-B-, V-K2, some V-A, V-E, Mg, some Pregnenolone,
some taurine & glycine , some gelatin, some cascara, some aspirin.

Thanks for replay :)
PA, USA.
66 postmenopausal, overweight, not exercise (no energy & desire), fatty liver, H - Pilory , almost no teeth, unstable HBP, calcification of all heart's valves after one year of V-D +CA carb. 500- 1000 mg supplement - additional to already existing left ventricular hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction, mild atherosclerosis of carotids, a lot of others, less important issues.
V-D level not increase after one whole year of supplementing 5000, even w/+ sun exposing in summer.
Every day, sometimes all day long feeling like dying, still not depressed.
Plenty of outside, 1% milk, cheese, butter, cod liver( not oil, canned) beef liver, fruits, sugar, salt,
no PUFA last 5 years, but 60 years heavy consumer , coffee, OJ, etc. -''Peaty''. Also Vs-B-, V-K2, some V-A, V-E, Mg, some Pregnenolone,
some taurine & glycine , some gelatin, some cascara, some aspirin.

how was your salt intake before and after peating?
Milk,how much,and how much Ca supplement?
How much Magnesium?
What got got better and what got worse since peating?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals