Cholestasis in mice causes anxiety-like behavior related to enhanced serotonin signaling in CNS

Korven

I'm researching cholestasis and found this interesting. Basically, inducing cholestasis in mice (by destroying their bile ducts) causes anxiety and enhances serotonergic signaling in the brain.

"Cholestasis is a pathophysiological process caused by the damage of hepatocytes or obstruction of bile flow, which often leads to emotional disorder in central nervous system. Alpha-naphthylisothiocyanate (ANIT) is the most widely used chemical to induce cholestatic models; however, the neurobehavior of ANIT-induced cholestatic model has not been investigated. The present study was designed to evaluate the anxiety-like behavior of cholestatic mice induced by a single (i.p.) injection of ANIT and its potential mechanism. For validating the model, the alanine aminotransferase, glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase, alkaline phosphatase, and total bile acid in the serum of mice were detected, and the pathological sections of hepatic lobes were also observed. After that, a series of behavioral tests were used to detect the anxiety-like behavioral changes of the ANIT-induced cholestatic mice, and then the level of 5-hydroxytryptamine and 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid in serum and prefrontal cortex were detected. Our data showed that ANIT-induced cholestatic mice exhibited increased anxiety-like behaviors in the open-field test and elevated plus maze test. Moreover, the concentration of 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid significantly decreased in the serum and the prefrontal cortex of ANIT-induced cholestatic mice compared with the control group. In addition, the expression of 5-hydroxytryptamine 1A, 5-hydroxytryptamine 2C, 5-hydroxytryptamine 3A, and 5-hydroxytryptamine 7 receptors increased in the prefrontal cortex of the model mice compared to their controls. Our results suggest that ANIT-induced cholestatic mice can display anxiety-like behavior closely related with enhanced serotoninergic signaling transduction in central nervous system."

InChristAlone

Definitely interesting for me as I've experienced mucho anxiety in my life, particularly when consuming milk and things that disturb my gut. Also it should be known that suddenly increasing bile flow with subsequent bile reabsorption into the bloodstream also causes anxiety and fatigue. Having healthier bile and bile flow is essential.

Gypsumking

Definitely interesting for me as I've experienced mucho anxiety in my life, particularly when consuming milk and things that disturb my gut. Also it should be known that suddenly increasing bile flow with subsequent bile reabsorption into the bloodstream also causes anxiety and fatigue. Having healthier bile and bile flow is essential.
The question is how to achieve this healthier bile and bile flow? Have you had any success in this area with yourself? I've been thinking lately maybe to limit bile flow to maybe 1 meal a day to limit the negative effects of bile flow that Ray talks about whilst working on cleaning the small intestine with suitable fibres and a diet lacking fermentable materials

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals