Best swimwear

ChetnikPeater

I feel that this is not discussed nearly enough but with summer coming up this may be on people's mind's soon.

What is the best option for a non-"endocrine disrupting" swimsuit. Some may immediately opt for cotton shorts and say screw it, but is there any good legitimate swimsuit options? Are any swimsuits made with HDPE/LDPE? I assume not.

I believe it isn't that big of a deal for a short swim, but sometimes when we are at the beach we may spend the whole day in our shorts, with our gonads soaking in toxic estrogenic endocrine disruptors, and I am curious what peoples best solutions are for this.

Inb4 someone replies "skinny dipping" :hahahaha

Old Irenaeus

I just got some Rawganique hemp boxers with a drawstring. They are very lightweight and breathable. The lighter colors would be see through probably, but I purchased them in black. I haven't tried going in water with them yet.

JohnHafterson

I wouldn't worry about it too much - the water you're swimming in probably has enough endocrine disruptors in it to negate your suit choice many times over.

Keep metabolism high and get enough protein/sulfur/nutrients to keep detox pathways supplied.

Sphagnum

I just got some Rawganique hemp boxers with a drawstring. They are very lightweight and breathable. The lighter colors would be see through probably, but I purchased them in black. I haven't tried going in water with them yet.
I’ve actually looked at Rawganique shorts for this very purpose, but never bought any because my size is always out when I check.

How are they in general? My one fear was that buying hemp clothing from a smaller scale operation could be scratchy/uncomfortable, especially for boxers.

Old Irenaeus

I’ve actually looked at Rawganique shorts for this very purpose, but never bought any because my size is always out when I check.

How are they in general? My one fear was that buying hemp clothing from a smaller scale operation could be scratchy/uncomfortable, especially for boxers.
They're super soft and comfortable. Almost like wearing nothingat all. If there's a breeze, it just goes right through the fabric.

Juliampersand

Good question!
My son wears a 100% merino wool shirt that works in the water. 100% merino wool shorts are being shipped and I hope they will work well.
@oldirenaeus Thanks for the link, I may order some for my son to try!

Old Irenaeus

Good question!
My son wears a 100% merino wool shirt that works in the water. 100% merino wool shorts are being shipped and I hope they will work well.
@oldirenaeus Thanks for the link, I may order some for my son to try!

You might also check out the Marseille short/underwear on their site.

Old Irenaeus

You might also check out the Marseille short/underwear on their site.
Update: They are not at all quick-drying, in spite of how light they are.

Juliampersand

Nylon isn’t all that quick either, I realized. On vacation last week I wore my old nylon swimsuit and I was wet for hours out of the pool. Then I wore linen shorts and even though it didn’t dry all that quickly I felt a lot more comfortable while wet.
My update on merino wool, it developed holes in less than a month. Being so thin, I think the chlorinated water is too much for it. So thumbs up for hemp and linen.

Sphagnum

Update:

I found a company making merino wool and wool/cotton clothing. I ordered a pair of their shorts that consist of 66% merino wool, 29% cotton, and 5% elastane. They do make a pair of 100% merino shorts, but the material in those looks lighter/thinner so I wasn't sure about using that as swimwear for modesty reasons.

I recently gave the merino/cotton shorts a try as swimwear, and was pleasantly surprised. Compared to my normal poly swimwear, the merino/cotton shorts dried faster, clung to my skin less, and were overall more comfortable. They seemed to hold up just fine in pool water and fresh lake water (haven't had them in salt water yet,) and weren't shear/revealing at all when wet. There were only two small drawbacks. First, if you've already gotten wet then the drawstring doesn't slide as smoothly. I went to tighten them up a bit, and I "babied" the tie job because I didn't want to risk tearing the fabric by pulling too hard too fast on damp wool. Easy solution is to just tighten them up before going in the water. The second was that they are air-dry only, so if you needed them completely dry real fast you can not just throw them in the dryer. FYI, I did in fact throw them in the dryer because I wasn't paying attention and had them mixed with other clothes/towels. The good news is that all they did was get a little fuzzy texture to them, which I don't mind because they're black and its hardly noticeable and still looks completely fine since they're casual.

They were also pretty affordable with the sale + promo code I found online. I also realized that they sell on Amazon, and the promos on there are stackable so it can really knock the price down. I'd use Amazon to make the promos easier and larger, unless you have an objection to using Amazon, in which case make sure you search online for one of the good 40-50% coupon codes and don't settle for 10-15%.

Also, for the winter, they make a fully plastic free jacket. The fabric and filling are all merino, and the lining is tencel (which is a plant derived synthetic.) It looks like it has sold out since the other day, but since there aren't really many options out there for plastic free jackets I still mentioned it so anyone interested can keep them in mind if that's something else they'd be interested in.

www.woolly.clothing

The specific shorts I ordered: www.woolly.clothing/products/longhaul-weekender-shorts

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom