Any Nurses/Healthcare Workers on Forum? Advice needed re: vaccination for employment

OP
A

animalcule

Sonographer?

I think AI is something for you to look into

To see if this job is indeed a good long term plan

This is just speculation or forward thinking on my part….
I did actually consider the effects of AI on the career. It didn’t concern me too much, perhaps naively, because the human element of actually operating the scanner can’t easily be replaced. I could see maybe some AI program interpreting the image for abnormalities? But the physical scanning bit will probably still be human. Growth is predicted to be high. Lab work is apparently going to become increasingly automated, so the associates level histotech jobs or whatever might go away. But idk, I wasn’t as concerned about sonography bc of the human hand element.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@animalcule, yes indeed. I only wish I had known but very few people speak about the reality of it. Anyway I don’t think all jobs are as bad. It seems like PT, OT and Speech Therapy are fairly happy folks with better hours in general. They usually work 8 hour shifts and minimal weekends and holidays.

laoa

This article is a really good read that close to 100% reflects my work experience.
...natural death is arguably becoming a privilege enjoyed by the few.
This is a heartbreaking reality.
I'd never want to receive the futile medical care I provide on an almost daily basis.

OP
A

animalcule

I've decided not to pursue the sonography training after all. I don't think I want to have anything to do with the medical community, at least not in a hospital setting, not in an outpatient imaging mill, and not in a position where I could be terminated for noncompliance with vaccination or PPE rules. The thought of a high starting salary for only two years training really drew me in. But the negatives far outweigh the positives, and I don't think that I could hack it working in the field anyway. It seems like burnout is common, so whatever money there is to be made wouldn't be made by me anyway. I'm also fairly repulsed by the medical system, after reading some of what's been posted here and elsewhere, not to mention the workplace culture which seems to be notoriously toxic. It's possible I might avoid such a workplace, but given my background, I really don't want to put the time, energy, and money into the degree, just for a shot at working as a cog in a damaging healthcare system with potentially toxic/miserable coworkers.

Thank you, everyone who has participated in this thread. Appreciate the advice and insight.

Peatful

I've decided not to pursue the sonography training after all. I don't think I want to have anything to do with the medical community, at least not in a hospital setting, not in an outpatient imaging mill, and not in a position where I could be terminated for noncompliance with vaccination or PPE rules. The thought of a high starting salary for only two years training really drew me in. But the negatives far outweigh the positives, and I don't think that I could hack it working in the field anyway. It seems like burnout is common, so whatever money there is to be made wouldn't be made by me anyway. I'm also fairly repulsed by the medical system, after reading some of what's been posted here and elsewhere, not to mention the workplace culture which seems to be notoriously toxic. It's possible I might avoid such a workplace, but given my background, I really don't want to put the time, energy, and money into the degree, just for a shot at working as a cog in a damaging healthcare system with potentially toxic/miserable coworkers.

Thank you, everyone who has participated in this thread. Appreciate the advice and insight.
You have my respect.

Not hyperbole.

Living by your convictions might feel hard
But
Compromising them is much more damaging

Good on you

Dolomite

Forum Supporter

It sounds good on paper but in real life it isn't that easy. I am glad you are reconsidering.

OP
A

animalcule

It sounds good on paper but in real life it isn't that easy. I am glad you are reconsidering.
Thanks. Your comments were helpful. I don't know what I'm going to do instead, but at least I can close the door on this path without reservations.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@animalcule The hours are not great and there is traveling involved but if you have any interest and aptitude for instrument repair, I think even with AI there will be a need for that kind of technician. Laboratory instruments require maintenance and repair and the companies who manufacture and sell the instruments hire the technicians. And it isn't always necessary to have a four year degree. Even the copy machine manufacturers have their own crew of technicians. You mostly work by yourself and have to be self reliant. My state has a technical college that has 2 year degrees that are very practical.

Respiratory Therapist

I haven’t done anything comprehensive in one place yet but I can work on it this coming week because I have some time off.
Thank you for considering it.

Thanks. Your comments were helpful. I don't know what I'm going to do instead, but at least I can close the door on this path without reservations.
Just based on this thread and the topics of the medical field and/or transitioning away from it, I'm sharing this Youtube channel I came across from one former ER nurse who is now trying to get into the software/internet security field. https://www.youtube.com/@trshpuppy/videos

bloooeh

Appreciate you sharing your story. There’s definitely a need for sonographers but many are burnt out and injured due to poor ergonomics and crazy busy schedule. Diagnostic medical sonography has many modalities. Some are very stressful. Others are less. Depends which modality you choose. Ultrasound labs can vary as far as work environment. General ultrasound dept that have many sonographers most likely have a lot of drama and can be toxic… The job looks easy if you watch a sonographer scan a pt but when you actually do it, it’s a whole different story. It takes some time (yrs) to get better at scanning skills. Many sonographers aren’t great or passionate at their job. They just do the job to get by and make the money but their images are suboptimal. This also applies to sonographers that have been in the field for many yrs because they stay at the same level and never improve their skill… Glad you made your decision. It’s not for everyone.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom