Any Nurses/Healthcare Workers on Forum? Advice needed re: vaccination for employment

animalcule

I kind of doubt that there are many actual healthcare workers on this forum, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I have the opportunity to train in an allied health profession that would eventually lead to a job in a hospital or private practice. The program is relatively short, the salary is good, and the job is interesting (and not egregiously harmful in the way some specialties are). In order to gain entrance to the program, I'm required to take the flu vaccine, as well as others (MMR, DTAP, Hep-B, etc) if I don't have high enough titers.

Has anyone successfully been exempted from such requirements when gaining entry to a healthcare training program?

Has anyone successfully been exempted from flu/covid shots when working at a hospital or other medical facility?

Are there areas of the country where these shots are not required in healthcare settings?

Basically, if I'm unwilling to get any new vaccinations, is it impossible for me to train/get a job in the healthcare field, in the opinion of healthcare workers?

OP
A

animalcule

I should add that I would ask the program coordinator about exemption, but to be honest I'm a little concerned that if I did, it might harm my chances at being accepted into the program. It's somewhat competitive, and I'd imagine that the question might be raised, "Why should we let in the woman refusing to get a flu shot when we could let in this other woman who's compliant?"

Just trying to get an idea of the landscape from the inside. And I don't really have any other places I could ask this.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I successfully made it through 4 times at different healthcare/medical jobs during covid by getting religious exemptions from the vax but my husband who is in a similar role (but in management) succumbed to the treats so I think unfortunately it just depends on the situation and who you’re dealing with. I’m not sure about schools/training programs but hopefully someone has some insight.

OP
A

animalcule

I successfully made it through 4 times at different healthcare/medical jobs during covid by getting religious exemptions from the vax but my husband who is in a similar role (but in management) succumbed to the treats so I think unfortunately it just depends on the situation and who you’re dealing with. I’m not sure about schools/training programs but hopefully someone has some insight.
What’s involved in getting a religious exemption? Do you simply write a statement testifying that vaccinations/vaccine ingredients go against your religious beliefs? Do you have to be interviewed about it? Do you need the participation of an authority figure in your religion, or is your assertion enough?

Peatful

I’m healthcare

When do you find out your titer levels?

Knowing what you know now
Are you comfortable taking any of them?

Covid is a stand alone
Always always refuse it like your life depends on it
And
Yes
There are universities and areas in the US that would hire you without a Covid jab

You seem excited
I don’t want to discourage you
But i would not be excited if my girls wanted to follow in my career footsteps

When I refused the FLU shot in 2018 (pre Covid craziness)
It was indeed a big deal
Demoralizing
It was a fight

I can only imagine what it is like now

Enter wisely

OP
A

animalcule

I’m healthcare

When do you find out your titer levels?

Knowing what you know now
Are you comfortable taking any of them?

Covid is a stand alone
Always always refuse it like your life depends on it
And
Yes
There are universities and areas in the US that would hire you without a Covid jab

You seem excited
I don’t want to discourage you
But i would not be excited if my girls wanted to follow in my career footsteps

When I refused the FLU shot in 2018 (pre Covid craziness)
It was indeed a big deal
Demoralizing
It was a fight

I can only imagine what it is like now

Enter wisely
I’m not comfortable taking any vaccines, right now. I don’t have to get my titers checked until after I enter the program, so sometime next summer probably. Perhaps I should check earlier, just to see what I would have to ask for an exemption on.

I’m very non-confrontational, so I don’t look forward to having to fight for an exemption. But I also really need to find new employment, and this is a steady, good paying, in demand career that won’t cost too much money to train for. I basically need to retrain for a career, and of all of the things I’ve looked into, this seems the most promising. I really wish these vaccines weren’t such a big deal…. My plan would be perfect, otherwise!

Honestly, if vaccination weren’t a dealbreaker, there are so many allied health careers that pay really really well that I would look into. It is the biggest reservation I have going into this field, and I keep going back and forth over if it’s worth it. Money on the one hand, and being demonized as an antivaxxer and maybe being ultimately unemployable on the other…

Peatful

I’m not comfortable taking any vaccines, right now. I don’t have to get my titers checked until after I enter the program, so sometime next summer probably. Perhaps I should check earlier, just to see what I would have to ask for an exemption on.

I’m very non-confrontational, so I don’t look forward to having to fight for an exemption. But I also really need to find new employment, and this is a steady, good paying, in demand career that won’t cost too much money to train for. I basically need to retrain for a career, and of all of the things I’ve looked into, this seems the most promising. I really wish these vaccines weren’t such a big deal…. My plan would be perfect, otherwise!

Honestly, if vaccination weren’t a dealbreaker, there are so many allied health careers that pay really really well that I would look into. It is the biggest reservation I have going into this field, and I keep going back and forth over if it’s worth it. Money on the one hand, and being demonized as an antivaxxer and maybe being ultimately unemployable on the other…
You are in a tough spot
I understand

Get those titers drawn
Collect the data first
Then weigh your options

It’s not romantic
It’s not pretty
It’s not worth the pay imo

But
Im a woman
And i have a husband
So i was able to walk away

I wish you the best

Strand firm
Live by your convictions

Keep us posted
It’s good you are asking this stuff now

Blossom

Forum Supporter
What’s involved in getting a religious exemption? Do you simply write a statement testifying that vaccinations/vaccine ingredients go against your religious beliefs? Do you have to be interviewed about it? Do you need the participation of an authority figure in your religion, or is your assertion enough?
I want to say upfront that I agree wholeheartedly with Peatful but also realize we all must follow our own inner guidance. I don’t want to discourage you but getting into the medical field was the one of the biggest mistakes of my life and I regret it every single day. I’m not exaggerating in the slightest. No money is worth it tbh. I have a husband who is working hard right now for me to finally be able to get out after 25 years.
It was much easier for me to get the exemptions than I anticipated. I simply filled out a form stating it was against my religious beliefs due to aborted stem cells being used in the research and development of all the available covid vaccines and emailed it to HR or returned it to the occupational health nurse in one hospital. No one questioned me about it or made it an issue and I didn’t have to have to involve anyone affiliated with my religion.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
"I want to say upfront that I agree wholeheartedly with Peatful but also realize we all must follow our own inner guidance. I don’t want to discourage you but getting into the medical field was the one of the biggest mistakes of my life and I regret it every single day. I’m not exaggerating in the slightest. No money is worth it tbh. I have a husband who is working hard right now for me to finally be able to get out after 25 years."

I agree with @Blossom about the health care field. I was old enough to retire before the hospital I worked at required the first shot of the covid vaxx. Some of my former coworkers were able to get a religious exemption without a lot of hassle. This was in Missouri. I worked for 30 years in a clinical lab. I would never recommend it to anyone, especially now. I wish I hadn't gotten into it. I worked in other fields before I went into laboratory work so I know other types of work environments. So-called healthcare is one of the worst places to work. They are in need of new recruits so I wouldn't doubt they are interested in getting you trained. But I wouldn't fall for it if I were you.

Look up hospital administration salaries compared to physician salaries and in the last 35 years the physician salaries have barely budged compared to the administration salaries. Ancillary services are even lower on the totem pole.

OP
A

animalcule

"I want to say upfront that I agree wholeheartedly with Peatful but also realize we all must follow our own inner guidance. I don’t want to discourage you but getting into the medical field was the one of the biggest mistakes of my life and I regret it every single day. I’m not exaggerating in the slightest. No money is worth it tbh. I have a husband who is working hard right now for me to finally be able to get out after 25 years."

I agree with @Blossom about the health care field. I was old enough to retire before the hospital I worked at required the first shot of the covid vaxx. Some of my former coworkers were able to get a religious exemption without a lot of hassle. This was in Missouri. I worked for 30 years in a clinical lab. I would never recommend it to anyone, especially now. I wish I hadn't gotten into it. I worked in other fields before I went into laboratory work so I know other types of work environments. So-called healthcare is one of the worst places to work. They are in need of new recruits so I wouldn't doubt they are interested in getting you trained. But I wouldn't fall for it if I were you.

Look up hospital administration salaries compared to physician salaries and in the last 35 years the physician salaries have barely budged compared to the administration salaries. Ancillary services are even lower on the totem pole.

I was looking into becoming a sonographer, which is apparently a field growing in demand. At the very least I could pick up per diem jobs, work a few days a week... That was my plan. I'm not the most sociable of people, but it seems like it's just me and the ultrasound machine (and the patient). Less stress and teamwork than nursing. A little more autonomy. Opportunity to do travel work and make more money after a while ... For the amount of training (2 yrs), the pay seems pretty good. And I'd have a skill that I could take anywhere.

And then if not a sonographer, maybe an anaplastologist, which might be more difficult to break into, I don't really understand the field too well. Possibility for a private practice (so no need to worry about vaccination requirements, apart from what the school may demand). One-on-one interactions with patients. Some creativity involved.

Here's how it is for me: I'm nearing the end of my runway. Between health issues and psych issues, I flopped after college, really hard, for years, and now I'm finally feeling like I have the energy and will to start again. I can get financing to go back to school, but probably not to start my own business or do anything else. I cannot work in an office at a computer - my last office job put me in a very dark place, I don't know why, but I can't stand that environment. I'm ill equipped for office politics/teamwork so I must do something mostly solo. I'm looking around for something, anything I could do that would ensure my financial future is good but also works within my limitations (which I wish I didn't have, but they are what they are and I'm old enough to know they're not going anywhere).

Looking around, it seems like healthcare jobs are everywhere and in demand. Do I care for the US healthcare system? No. It certainly hasn't helped me. But you can become a sonographer with an associates degree/certification, and as far as healthcare goes, it doesn't seem too actively harmful (perhaps I'm wrong). Maybe I'm just not sufficiently imaginative/knowledgeable enough to conceive of a next-best option.

I don't know. You and Blossom and Peatful have given me some things to think about.

Can I ask what the worst thing about your job was? I had also looked into an MLS degree, briefly.

Editing to add: After a 2 year degree, I can make $70-$80k where I live. Money is not everything. But I can't think of another associates degree (apart from Radiation Therapy, which frankly seems like a health hazard career) that would pay that much right out of the gate. Hence my previous excitement about pursuing this, and concern over vaccine refusal barring me from it.

Last edited:
OP
A

animalcule

I want to say upfront that I agree wholeheartedly with Peatful but also realize we all must follow our own inner guidance. I don’t want to discourage you but getting into the medical field was the one of the biggest mistakes of my life and I regret it every single day. I’m not exaggerating in the slightest. No money is worth it tbh. I have a husband who is working hard right now for me to finally be able to get out after 25 years.
It was much easier for me to get the exemptions than I anticipated. I simply filled out a form stating it was against my religious beliefs due to aborted stem cells being used in the research and development of all the available covid vaccines and emailed it to HR or returned it to the occupational health nurse in one hospital. No one questioned me about it or made it an issue and I didn’t have to have to involve anyone affiliated with my religion.
Thank you. Doesn't seem nearly as difficult as I'd imagined, I guess you were just fortunate that your facility was lenient w/exemptions.

Well, you've definitely made me pause a bit, healthcare being the biggest mistake of your life and all... What type of position did you hold?

OP
A

animalcule

You are in a tough spot
I understand

Get those titers drawn
Collect the data first
Then weigh your options

It’s not romantic
It’s not pretty
It’s not worth the pay imo

But
Im a woman
And i have a husband
So i was able to walk away

I wish you the best

Strand firm
Live by your convictions

Keep us posted
It’s good you are asking this stuff now
Thank you, Peatful. Good advice.

Working in healthcare is already bending my convictions a little. Given me more to consider.

toolhead

I am in a quite similar position to you, but different as well in some ways. One thing I can tell you is that the vast majority of sonographers who have been doing it for a couple years or more suffer from some form of musculoskeletal/RSI — some quite severe and debilitating. Most get regular massage/chiro on a regular basis.

Feel free to DM, I’m not comfortable saying more publically.

Blossom did you ever make a single thread about those experiences you had in the medical field?
How you got into it, but what you ran into, how that might tie into your discovery of Ray Peat.
I would be interested in reading them.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you. Doesn't seem nearly as difficult as I'd imagined, I guess you were just fortunate that your facility was lenient w/exemptions.

Well, you've definitely made me pause a bit, healthcare being the biggest mistake of your life and all... What type of position did you hold?
Respiratory Therapist
Blossom did you ever make a single thread about those experiences you had in the medical field?
How you got into it, but what you ran into, how that might tie into your discovery of Ray Peat.
I would be interested in reading them.
I haven’t done anything comprehensive in one place yet but I can work on it this coming week because I have some time off.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This article is a really good read that close to 100% reflects my work experience.

Sitaruîm

I am in a quite similar position to you, but different as well in some ways. One thing I can tell you is that the vast majority of sonographers who have been doing it for a couple years or more suffer from some form of musculoskeletal/RSI — some quite severe and debilitating. Most get regular massage/chiro on a regular basis.

Feel free to DM, I’m not comfortable saying more publically.
I'd be interested in knowing, if you don't mind DMing me the details

Peatful

I was looking into becoming a sonographer, which is apparently a field growing in demand. At the very least I could pick up per diem jobs, work a few days a week... That was my plan. I'm not the most sociable of people, but it seems like it's just me and the ultrasound machine (and the patient). Less stress and teamwork than nursing. A little more autonomy. Opportunity to do travel work and make more money after a while ... For the amount of training (2 yrs), the pay seems pretty good. And I'd have a skill that I could take anywhere.

And then if not a sonographer, maybe an anaplastologist, which might be more difficult to break into, I don't really understand the field too well. Possibility for a private practice (so no need to worry about vaccination requirements, apart from what the school may demand). One-on-one interactions with patients. Some creativity involved.

Here's how it is for me: I'm nearing the end of my runway. Between health issues and psych issues, I flopped after college, really hard, for years, and now I'm finally feeling like I have the energy and will to start again. I can get financing to go back to school, but probably not to start my own business or do anything else. I cannot work in an office at a computer - my last office job put me in a very dark place, I don't know why, but I can't stand that environment. I'm ill equipped for office politics/teamwork so I must do something mostly solo. I'm looking around for something, anything I could do that would ensure my financial future is good but also works within my limitations (which I wish I didn't have, but they are what they are and I'm old enough to know they're not going anywhere).

Looking around, it seems like healthcare jobs are everywhere and in demand. Do I care for the US healthcare system? No. It certainly hasn't helped me. But you can become a sonographer with an associates degree/certification, and as far as healthcare goes, it doesn't seem too actively harmful (perhaps I'm wrong). Maybe I'm just not sufficiently imaginative/knowledgeable enough to conceive of a next-best option.

I don't know. You and Blossom and Peatful have given me some things to think about.

Can I ask what the worst thing about your job was? I had also looked into an MLS degree, briefly.

Editing to add: After a 2 year degree, I can make $70-$80k where I live. Money is not everything. But I can't think of another associates degree (apart from Radiation Therapy, which frankly seems like a health hazard career) that would pay that much right out of the gate. Hence my previous excitement about pursuing this, and concern over vaccine refusal barring me from it.
Sonographer?

I think AI is something for you to look into

To see if this job is indeed a good long term plan

This is just speculation or forward thinking on my part….

Dolomite

Forum Supporter

I think the worst thing about the healthcare working conditions is the understaffing.

OP
A

animalcule

This article is a really good read that close to 100% reflects my work experience.
Well that article was… grim. I can imagine how working in that environment is damaging to the soul. Not something I would want to do.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom