An Aspirin A Day Keeps the Candida Biofilm at Bay - Studies

Candeias

An Aspirin A Day Keeps the Biofilm at Bay

"Aspirin did not simply inhibit biofilm formation since it had little effect on adhesion but inhibited the metabolic activity of yeasts already embedded in established biofilm. The effect could be reversed by adding prostaglandin E2. Aspirin also drastically reduced the viability of the biofilm to 1%, whereas other COX inhibitors were much less effective, with indomethacin having no effect at all. The cell surfaces of the yeast appeared wrinkled after exposure to aspirin, but not the other drugs, indicating that aspirin exerts damage in several different ways."

Acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) reduces damage to reconstituted human tissues infected with Candida species by inhibiting extracellular fungal lipases

"We hypothesized that ASA's protective effects were in part due to the inhibition of extracellular secreted lipase. ASA's lipase inhibition was previously demonstrated by the finding that oral administration of 3 g of ASA for 2 days to healthy subjects significantly decreases plasma free fatty acids and plasma post-heparin lipoprotein lipase activity [26]. Aspirin also inhibited the heightened lipase activity of lipoprotein lipase and hepatic lipase observed in smoking patients as measured by plasma free fatty acids and free glycerol levels [27]. We found that a 1 mM concentration of ASA consistently inhibited the growth of C. albicans and C. parapsilosis in a specific minimal medium supplemented with olive oil. Inhibition was similar to that of the lipase inhibitor quinine. In the examined lipid rich environment, organisms must rely upon secreted extracellular lipases to digest the sole energy source available. Blocking this process with lipase inhibition stalled fungal growth."

Effects of Aspirin and Other Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs on Biofilms and Planktonic Cells of Candida albicans

"Aspirin was active against growing and fully mature (48-h) biofilms; its effect was dose related, and it produced significant inhibition (20 to 80%) at pharmacological concentrations. Simultaneous addition of prostaglandin E2 abolished the inhibitory effect of 25 or 50 μM aspirin. At 1 mM, aspirin reduced the viability of biofilm organisms to 1.9% of that of controls. Surviving cells had a wrinkled appearance, as judged by scanning electron microscopy, and consisted of both yeasts and hyphae."

Cotreatment with Aspirin and Azole Drugs Increases Sensitivity of Candida albicans in vitro

"In our experiment under planktonic conditions, the MIC50 values of FCA, ITR, or VRC applied alone were 64–0.5 μg/mL, 32–0.0625 μg/mL, and 16–0.125 μg/mL, respectively, whereas cotreatment with ASA decreased the values to 32–0.25 μg/mL, 8–0.0313 μg/mL and 8–0.0313 μg/mL, respectively. Additionally, the rate of enhancement of the inhibitory activities of FCA, ITR, and FCA by ASA under planktonic conditions was 43.59%."

Potential Antifungal Targets against a Candida Biofilm Based on an Enzyme in the Arachidonic Acid Cascade—A Review

"Notably, prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) can promote the formation of a Candida biofilm. Recently, the inhibition of PGE2 has received much attention. Studies have shown that cyclooxygenase (COX) inhibitors, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and indomethacin, combined with fluconazole can significantly reduce Candida adhesion and biofilm development and increase fluconazole susceptibility; the MIC of fluconazole can be decrease from 64 to 2 μg/ml when used in combination with ibuprofen."

Last edited:

David PS

Horseradish is also useful. But not on a daily basis.
Antiproliferative effects of ITC have been reported against a variety of bacterial species, including Pseudomonas syringae [64], P. aeruginosa, Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), und Candida albicans [35], Helicobacter pylori [19], different Clostridium species [38], Campylobacter species [17], Salmonella enterica [59] and many other microorganisms.

haidut

Forum Supporter
An Aspirin A Day Keeps the Biofilm at Bay

"Aspirin did not simply inhibit biofilm formation since it had little effect on adhesion but inhibited the metabolic activity of yeasts already embedded in established biofilm. The effect could be reversed by adding prostaglandin E2. Aspirin also drastically reduced the viability of the biofilm to 1%, whereas other COX inhibitors were much less effective, with indomethacin having no effect at all. The cell surfaces of the yeast appeared wrinkled after exposure to aspirin, but not the other drugs, indicating that aspirin exerts damage in several different ways."

Acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) reduces damage to reconstituted human tissues infected with Candida species by inhibiting extracellular fungal lipases

"We hypothesized that ASA's protective effects were in part due to the inhibition of extracellular secreted lipase. ASA's lipase inhibition was previously demonstrated by the finding that oral administration of 3 g of ASA for 2 days to healthy subjects significantly decreases plasma free fatty acids and plasma post-heparin lipoprotein lipase activity [26]. Aspirin also inhibited the heightened lipase activity of lipoprotein lipase and hepatic lipase observed in smoking patients as measured by plasma free fatty acids and free glycerol levels [27]. We found that a 1 mM concentration of ASA consistently inhibited the growth of C. albicans and C. parapsilosis in a specific minimal medium supplemented with olive oil. Inhibition was similar to that of the lipase inhibitor quinine. In the examined lipid rich environment, organisms must rely upon secreted extracellular lipases to digest the sole energy source available. Blocking this process with lipase inhibition stalled fungal growth."

Effects of Aspirin and Other Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs on Biofilms and Planktonic Cells of Candida albicans

"Aspirin was active against growing and fully mature (48-h) biofilms; its effect was dose related, and it produced significant inhibition (20 to 80%) at pharmacological concentrations. Simultaneous addition of prostaglandin E2 abolished the inhibitory effect of 25 or 50 μM aspirin. At 1 mM, aspirin reduced the viability of biofilm organisms to 1.9% of that of controls. Surviving cells had a wrinkled appearance, as judged by scanning electron microscopy, and consisted of both yeasts and hyphae."

Cotreatment with Aspirin and Azole Drugs Increases Sensitivity of Candida albicans in vitro

"In our experiment under planktonic conditions, the MIC50 values of FCA, ITR, or VRC applied alone were 64–0.5 μg/mL, 32–0.0625 μg/mL, and 16–0.125 μg/mL, respectively, whereas cotreatment with ASA decreased the values to 32–0.25 μg/mL, 8–0.0313 μg/mL and 8–0.0313 μg/mL, respectively. Additionally, the rate of enhancement of the inhibitory activities of FCA, ITR, and FCA by ASA under planktonic conditions was 43.59%."

Potential Antifungal Targets against a Candida Biofilm Based on an Enzyme in the Arachidonic Acid Cascade—A Review

Thanks for this new study. Similar studies from the past appear at the bottom of the page under "Similar threads", so people can see that it is not just a one-off finding/study. For those looking to replicate the study design, 2g-3g single/bolus dose of aspirin can achieve 1mM/L concentrations in humans. Obvious at such doses, taking some vitamin K (8mg-10mg should be enough) would probably be warranted.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ibuprofen too.

Nope, ibuprofen was without effects, as both this study and the older ones I posted several years ago (and can be seen at the bottom of the screen under "Similar Threads" section) demonstrated. The anti-fungal effect of aspirin is due to its structure - a hydroxybenzoic acid - and other structurally similar molecules also have anti-fungal effects, while structurally unrelated NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, naproxen, etc do not or were very weak compared to aspirin.

David PS

Good to know.
I think aspirin is best because it is so easy to incorporate into your diaily routine. I dissolve it into my coffee.

Sometimes it is best to use more than one food.

OP
Candeias

Candeias

Ibuprofen too.

"Notably, prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) can promote the formation of a Candida biofilm. Recently, the inhibition of PGE2 has received much attention. Studies have shown that cyclooxygenase (COX) inhibitors, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and indomethacin, combined with fluconazole can significantly reduce Candida adhesion and biofilm development and increase fluconazole susceptibility; the MIC of fluconazole can be decrease from 64 to 2 μg/ml when used in combination with ibuprofen."

Ibuprofen is good when combined with antifungal medication.

miquelangeles

Nope, ibuprofen was without effects, as both this study and the older ones I posted several years ago (and can be seen at the bottom of the screen under "Similar Threads" section) demonstrated. The anti-fungal effect of aspirin is due to its structure - a hydroxybenzoic acid - and other structurally similar molecules also have anti-fungal effects, while structurally unrelated NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, naproxen, etc do not or were very weak compared to aspirin.
I didn't know about aspirin, but I remember reading years ago that ibuprofen is active both alone and also synergistic with antifungal medication.
One of the studies cited by @Candeias says that "ibuprofen inhibited biofilm formation to a lesser, but still significant, extent". Also from the same study, ibuprofen inhibited C. albicans germination by more than 70% and aspirin only by ~5%.

Makrosky

Problem with ibuprofen is that it is not safe to take it daily. Aspirin is much safer.

Fred

Speculating: Enteric coatings and fillers are added to aspirin tablets to make them more likely to cause an allergic reaction, thereby driving people into the more dangerous/expensive Big Pharma alternatives. I had an intense allergic reaction to a tablet, but no problem with pure aspirin powder.

David PS

David PS

I'm speculating about the motives. There's no doubt that the additives cause allergic reactions. I've experienced this firsthand. There seems to be a concerted effort to make everything good seem bad, and vice versa.
The motives may be that the additives make the powder flow more readily in their pill making machines. The better the flow, the faster they can run the machine in their factories. $$$

David PS

FYI - This morning, I posted here about the details of how I take my aspirin.

Apple

Has anyone used Willow bark (tea) instead of aspirin with all its additives ?
I wonder if it could be a safer alternative .

What do you think of occasional whisky ? I drank very little whisky (spoon) for several days and got same bruises as from aspirin... My blood is probably too thin despite all the greens.

Last edited:
OP
Candeias

Candeias

I use this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221227-162554_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221227-162554_Chrome.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 58

Sitaruîm

Thanks for this new study. Similar studies from the past appear at the bottom of the page under "Similar threads", so people can see that it is not just a one-off finding/study. For those looking to replicate the study design, 2g-3g single/bolus dose of aspirin can achieve 1mM/L concentrations in humans. Obvious at such doses, taking some vitamin K (8mg-10mg should be enough) would probably be warranted.
Must one achieve this concentration for there to be an effect? I take 125mg of aspirin daily, do you think I'll see any of the benefits from such a dose?

OP
Candeias

Candeias

Must one achieve this concentration for there to be an effect? I take 125mg of aspirin daily, do you think I'll see any of the benefits from such a dose?

This dose maybe has an effect on the intestine. For systemic cases only doses that inhibit COX2, which only happens at higher doses, I don't remember for sure if this dose inhibits COX2 in the intestine though

David G

Seems like it would depend where exactly the biofilm is. I doubt there's any in the stomach, it's probably a lot further down in the GI tract. Aspirin is probably going to be totally absorbed long before it gets there.

So, where exactly is the biofilm, and how do you get something that breaks it up to where it needs to be?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom