Momado965

Is that 20-25 drops per day? Did you have any of the beginning or ongoing side effects some people here have described? I'd love to try a large dose like that but when I've stepped up the dose in the past it's resulted I very heady relaxation effect which, while pleasant, is only viable when I've got a day in which I don't need to do a whole lot.

Interested because I've been taking Metergoline to very positive effect for a couple month, but at a much lower dose. It seems like there's a variety of way to use this drug and a similar variety of effects for different people.

Interesting. Haven't had any side effects so far. Only had positive, mind you, very positive effects from it. I'll be using it until it finishes and I'll update you guys with what goes on.

inthedark

Interesting. Haven't had any side effects so far. Only had positive, mind you, very positive effects from it. I'll be using it until it finishes and I'll update you guys with what goes on.

Looking forward to it. Is that 25 drops daily for you?

tomisonbottom

These statements seem to be contradictory. The first states "Metergoline does not seem to have activity on 5-HT3," the second says it may have an antagonizing effect on 5-HT3.
Can anyone clarify? I mainly want to avoid worsening constipation. My subject already has chronic constipation, IBS, SIBO.

@tomisonbottom are you still taking Metergoline with success?

I used it all up and haven't ordered more since my prolactin is decent now, but I like it, and did what I wanted (lowered prolactin).

Would still be using it if I had more, if that answers your questions.
No side effects for me.

golder

Didn’t your prolactin remain low after stopping use? Have you done further blood work?

Soren

Forum Supporter
Mother long time Parkinson's sufferer. Been taking 2 drops of metergoline for 5 days and already noticeable benefits.

Greater sense of contentment and happier.

Hot flashes which she used to have throughout the day completely gone. Don't know much about hot flashes but I would assume that serotonin and or prolactin are involved.

alywest

I was just wondering if anyone, including @haidut, would mind explaining to me what it really means to simultaneously agonize and antagonize a serotonin receptor. It seems from my research that antagonism has to do with density of receptors which affects the overall synthesis of serotonin in the brain, and then agonism has to do with lowering neurotransmission. So they both have positive effects in their own ways, and don't cancel each other out even though in a mechanical linguistics sense an antagonist might cancel out an agonist and vice versa. That's what I have gathered and I was wondering if anyone might add to that or tell me I'm wrong and explain the reality.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I was just wondering if anyone, including @haidut, would mind explaining to me what it really means to simultaneously agonize and antagonize a serotonin receptor. It seems from my research that antagonism has to do with density of receptors which affects the overall synthesis of serotonin in the brain, and then agonism has to do with lowering neurotransmission. So they both have positive effects in their own ways, and don't cancel each other out even though in a mechanical linguistics sense an antagonist might cancel out an agonist and vice versa. That's what I have gathered and I was wondering if anyone might add to that or tell me I'm wrong and explain the reality.

What chemical is both an agonist and antagonist? I don't think it is possible to be both at the same time on a given receptor. Some serotonin receptors participate in negative feedback for serotonin synthesis, so agonizing them could lower serotonin levels. Other serotonin receptors are in negative feedback for dopamine synthesis so antagonizing them would increase dopamine synthesis.

alywest

What chemical is both an agonist and antagonist? I don't think it is possible to be both at the same time on a given receptor. Some serotonin receptors participate in negative feedback for serotonin synthesis, so agonizing them could lower serotonin levels. Other serotonin receptors are in negative feedback for dopamine synthesis so antagonizing them would increase dopamine synthesis.
Thanks for your response. I'm referring to the use of lisuride and metergoline together, as was mentioned in the first post in this thread. Each seems to have a different property (antagonism vs. agonism) at almost each receptor , with the exception of 5HT2B. So I was wondering how that works. Does one tend to overpower the other at each receptor, meaning that one wins out and only one of the effects is seen?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks for your response. I'm referring to the use of lisuride and metergoline together, as was mentioned in the first post in this thread. Each seems to have a different property (antagonism vs. agonism) at almost each receptor , with the exception of 5HT2B. So I was wondering how that works. Does one tend to overpower the other at each receptor, meaning that one wins out and only one of the effects is seen?

It depends on each chemical's affinity for the "receptor". Whichever ones has a stronger affinity at a given dose it will generally prevail in terms of effects.

alywest

It depends on each chemical's affinity for the "receptor". Whichever ones has a stronger affinity at a given dose it will generally prevail in terms of effects.
OK, that makes sense, thanks!

Jing

Been reading that this can cause paranoia .. would it be bad to use in someone who already has paranoid thoughts?

ddjd

it is a potent antagonist on the serotonin receptors 5-HT1, 5-HT2, 5-HT6, and 5-HT7. Most ergot drugs are agonists on those receptors with the possible (and partial) exception of lisuride. More importantly, just like lisuride metergoline is a potent antagonist on the dreaded 5-HT2B receptor. This endows it with anti-fibrotic properties similar to lisuride, terguride, ritanserin and cyproheptadine
not sure if you've seen this already haidut, very positive study showing that antagonising 5ht6 helps against Alzheimer's

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13543784.2018.1483334?journalCode=ieid20

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals