Why sitting in a chair is not natural and possibly detrimental and the correct way to use the bathroom

JamesGatz

As some of us may know - there has been many discussions on the correct way to use the bathroom on the internet - how squatting is the most natural position

rectum1.PNG

download.jpg

It seems that sitting has the Puborectalis choke the rectum and is not ideal to sit at the toilet - if you notice - you instinctively lean forward when sitting on the toilet to stop this from happening - hence why stools are recommended to squat at the toilet

Image-2-12-20-at-10.00-AM.jpg

It seems reasonable - yet no one makes the connection that sitting in general is unhealthy - they only relate it to the toilet - if the rectum is being choked in general when sitting in any chair - I think it is reasonable to assume sitting is an unnatural position

download.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I have rarely ever seen indigenous tribes/people sit in a chair even if they have the option - they instictively squat and lay down to rest

These people can hold this position for hours - we can't sit down in a chair past 15 minutes without feeling the need to walk around ? Is it really a natural position to be in then ?

It is worth noting that the first chairs (3100 BC or so) were very low to the ground - about 8-10 inches maybe less - which is less than half the average 18-20 average inches our chairs sit at - it seems our ancestors were in a more so squatting position in a chair with chairs so low

egyypt.PNG

Besides the rectum being choked - it seems the lumbar region (lower back) of the spine is especially sensitive to the right angle of sitting - it is said that stress on the of over 45 degrees curvature on the upper spine can lead up to Kyphosis over time but the lumbar region seems especially sensitive

maxresdefault.jpg

Think about tying your shoes - you instively bend a knee to tie the shoes rather than keep the legs straight and bend down- this would result in the same stressful curvature in the lumbar region

sittingandstanding.PNG

It is worth noting that our closest-related primates (chimpanzees and bonobos also squat to rest) - although our spines are a bit different - it is worth noting that you will never see these primates sit on a rock like a chair or the ones that live with people still squat - they never sit like a person

chimpsandbonobos.PNG

I do personally believe sitting in a chair is not a natural position for someone and from my personal experimentation - I believe sitting in a chair induces serotonin and anti-metabolic effects - for your own experimentation - I have attached a helpful video below on how to do the malasana squat -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYyzhhnb-B0&ab_channel=SarahMalcolm

I would recommend doing it with a free range of motion (without clothes) in the privacy of your own room and home - you should feel a lot better in this position - this helps immensely in correcting posture as a Night Time Ritual - I do it for quiet a while every night before bed

GarlandPose_annotated-b5c747a639ec4929a59307c20ce42a1f.jpg

Notice how straight her back is in this pose - you will never see someone sitting in a chair with a straight spine for longer periods of time - they are always adjusting and feeling the need to get up and walk around

When using a computer - I do think the safest position is to use it while standing and take frequent breaks to either lay down or squat in this pose - I don't think sitting in a chair is ever healthy

Last edited:
Yes, these are good points. Every animal has their natural resting position, and humans are no different.

It is perhaps unhelpful that it is viewed as undignified, in Western culture, to squat. And with toilets we have been sacrificing health for an artificial dignity since at least the 19th century.

Standing is also underrated, and I am happy that standing desks for computers have caught on in the past two decades. I think I was at my healthiest when I was working at a hotel reception and was standing up all day. Office jobs where you are required to sit are probably responsible for much of the back pains people experience nowadays.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Standing is also underrated, and I am happy that standing desks for computers have caught on in the past two decades. I think I was at my healthiest when I was working at a hotel reception and was standing up all day. Office jobs where you are required to sit are probably responsible for much of the back pains people experience nowadays.
I definitely agree - I'm thinking back to moments I have seen people complain about their backs and in all instances it was happening when they were seated in a chair and when they were bending down - I think it's uncomfortable for the lower spine to accomodate both of these actions

Gânico

Nowadays I pretty much never sit, always felt unnatural to me. I prefer standing up the whole day, even for eating, feels better for me. I don't Iike squatting too, only do it for pooping, hahah.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom