Why Has Ketogenic/low Carb Diet Been So Popular Lately?

LLight

Thanks for the info. So a person eating 3000 calories per day will need 150 grams of sugar, but when in ketosis, 75% of that( 112 grams) can be replaced with ketones, while the rest( 38 grams) has to come from sugar. So the assertion that the brain only needs around 40 grams of carbs per day on a ketogenic diet is accurate, right?

I think some people have intense sugar cravings and can't have just a little sugar here and there. For others, the sugar feeds bacteria/ fungi in the gut, causing bloating.

In people fasting: Brain Metabolism during Fasting

"With measured cerebral blood flow of 45 ml/100 g of tissue per min, and assuming a brain size of 1400 g the 24 hr glucose oxidation would approximate 24 g, which agrees well with the theoretical maximum of 33 g calculated from nitrogen execretion and glycerol from adipose tissue as described above. The third confirmatory evidence for this marked reduction in glucose metabolism has been data, which obtained from hepatic and renal vein catheterization studies, demonstrated that the liver almost totally
ceases to synthesize glucose from amino acids
and the kidney assumes the role of the major source of this diminished amount of glucose daily produced and consumed during starvation."

Gone Peating

not every fruit and honey is equal for health.
Also for people with IBS can fruit/fructose very evil.

I meant people who they say fruit and honey are absolutely bad

You are right there are certain people who won’t do well with them

I believe that their intense sugar cravings are triggered by a state of low dopamine and / or high adrenaline which would be solved by snacking on salty protein and a fruit. As often as needed! I’m one of those.

i think that large amounts at once is what feeds those microbes, because of an already overloaded liver. For those people, I agree that a ketogenic diet is a valid tool for however long it takes until liver function normalizes
I see. That makes sense.

In people fasting: Brain Metabolism during Fasting

"With measured cerebral blood flow of 45 ml/100 g of tissue per min, and assuming a brain size of 1400 g the 24 hr glucose oxidation would approximate 24 g, which agrees well with the theoretical maximum of 33 g calculated from nitrogen execretion and glycerol from adipose tissue as described above. The third confirmatory evidence for this marked reduction in glucose metabolism has been data, which obtained from hepatic and renal vein catheterization studies, demonstrated that the liver almost totally
ceases to synthesize glucose from amino acids
and the kidney assumes the role of the major source of this diminished amount of glucose daily produced and consumed during starvation."
Very interesting. Thanks!

Peater Piper

You want to lose weight quickly? KETO! You want to cure diabetes? KETO!
Because it works, at least in the short term. Glucose levels will drop immediately, the pounds just fall off. Plus the fact that it is so popular means we've all known people who tried the diet and had glowing reviews after the first few weeks. Long term is different, though. I've known people who have been eating keto for a decade and are still loving it, but for many it's just another quick fix diet that they can't stick to, either because they don't like the restriction or their results leveled off.

If their "sugar (especially fructose) causes obesity and diabetes"-theory would be correct, all of them should be massively obese and insulin resistant.
I've visited some fruitarian forums, it's a bit disconcerting to see so many complaints about rising glucose levels. Obviously some people don't have this issue, those who don't are the ones who stick with the diet, but just like with keto, many have issues and move away from the diet.

Why is keto and low-carb so popular? Everyone already knows that sugar is bad, that's why.

It's "common sense" and taken as fact. You can walk up to literally anyone and they will agree that sugar is bad and you should limit sugar. Anyone from the gas station attendant to intellectuals like Nassim Taleb.

I think Taleb makes some argument about eating carbs in a "barbell" format (so, 90% of your time you don't eat carbs, 10% you do, because it's actually more potent when it's confined to a short period). I was reading Dmitry Orlov last night and he says "Don't worry, eating fat will not make you fat, the fastest way to get fat is by eating processed carbohydrates and refined sugar." (pg 150, "Technosphere")

No proof needed. Nobody will question you.

Of course, this means its just societal programming. It's like how carrots are good for your eyes. A half-truth that morphed into a cultural truism.

Last edited:

Ben Stone

not every fruit and honey is equal for health.
Also for people with IBS can fruit/fructose very evil.

By this comment wrt to honey are you contrasting truly raw, unheated, unprocessed honey that is normally crystallized to pasteurized always liquid honey?

Nemo

Fact: It is an exceptionally effective weight loss tool
Debatable: Debatable: brain runs better on ketones

I gained 30 pounds on low carb (almost 1/4 of my proper weight) and got cancer. Worst weight loss tool I ever tried.

Nemo

It's literally everywhere. Low carb/keto is proposed as a "cure"for diabetes and other diseases. What's with all that carbs bashing? People seem to jump on the bandwagon without any research. You want to lose weight quickly? KETO! You want to cure diabetes? KETO! On the contrary, nobody's defending higher carbs diets, besides those vegan cultists.

Main keto subreddit - 1.7m followers, ketoscience sub - almost 100k.

If you live long enough, you will see one of these fads after another.

I now believe they are pushed to ruin our health and keep the profits of the medical/industrial complex high.

I gained 30 pounds on low carb (almost 1/4 of my proper weight) and got cancer. Worst weight loss tool I ever tried.

well, your wrong experience isn’t negating thousands of people reporting success and studies showing improvements

Rise in cortisol/adrenaline and other stress hormones on keto, high fat, zerocarb or carnivore possibly is not caused by diet itself. PUFA intake is much higher on this kind of diets as people gorge on bacon and other PUFA loaded food. Another point is that in case of low PUFA varieties of these diets initial period of PUFA depletion could be a reason for known increase in stress hormones. As far as Im aware there are no long term studies on humans.
PUFA Enhance Glucocorticoid (cortisol) Signalling

PUFA Initiate & Promote The Stress Response (ACTH/cortisol), SFA Inhibit It

Pufa Stimulates Cortisol Production Even In The Absense Of Acth

All they need to do is to eat some sugar to avoid ketosis when they’re lean enough and don’t have much fat left to burn, but they’ll never do it. It’s interesting how people get married to their dietary ideas like religion.

aerobic respiration = fat oxidation

anaerobic efforts = glycolysis, so eat the damn carbs or else... adrenaline and cortisol galore

guys like Shawn Baker and others definitely are being rekt by their combination of zero carb + high intensity training for the clout. No one is immune to it. People who monitor their recovery well observe much better hormonal profiles, as expected on a diet that 100% suits human biochemistry

How I Increased My Testosterone by 290% without hormone therapy or sport supplementation. — Ancient Gains

(Actually a 5 fold increase, not 290%)

opson123

well, your wrong experience isn’t negating thousands of people reporting success and studies showing improvements
Dude, according to your posts here, your experience with low fat diets has been bad and you've been bashing them regularly.

Well, your wrong experience isn’t negating thousands of people reporting success and studies showing improvements.

Marcine

because we have herd mentality and rampant learned helplessness and paid for science has confused everyone. yoyo dieters like myself latch on to keto because.... well, butter! we've been struggling with calories our whole lives plus its easy to go keto when you think you can't process wheat and that was also vilified while keto was coming into favor. all of these diets just piss me off from a standpoint of privilege. The poor have food deserts and no real choice but to eat processed pufas. Orthorexia is problematic and another eating disorder. Thin is not equal to healthy but the Wellness Industry will keep us in that bull**** loop until more of us, mostly women, get sick and take our lives back.

Indicatrice

Rise in cortisol/adrenaline and other stress hormones on keto, high fat, zerocarb or carnivore possibly is not caused by diet itself. PUFA intake is much higher on this kind of diets as people gorge on bacon and other PUFA loaded food. Another point is that in case of low PUFA varieties of these diets initial period of PUFA depletion could be a reason for known increase in stress hormones. As far as Im aware there are no long term studies on humans.
PUFA Enhance Glucocorticoid (cortisol) Signalling

PUFA Initiate & Promote The Stress Response (ACTH/cortisol), SFA Inhibit It

Pufa Stimulates Cortisol Production Even In The Absense Of Acth

Yet another reason to only consume meat from ruminant animals, unless you can be certain that the animal's diet was appropriate and that so will its fat content

The poor have food deserts and no real choice but to eat processed pufas.

Yep sure poor can't buy rice and beans. And some fruits with milk and potato. What a SJW. Sure poors are forced by evil capitalists to eat ***t-load of PUFA, drink your soy oil or get whipped. There is always a choice what to eat and to be poor or not to be. Anywhere in the world rice, beans, potato and eggs are dirt cheap. Add some spices and you are ok.

Seriously. There is always a choice, but yet poor buy cookies and soda full of chemicals, cup noodles and chemical icecream for their kids.

The whole price of the food mentioned on my screenshot is 7.5 reals = 1.58 US dollars. Pretty peaty, but not hardcore. 7.5x30= 225 reals per month. Minimal salary here is 1045 reals. And you have to be a not that smart guy to receive minimal salary only.

I have never seen a poor person buying even mainstream "healthy" food, it's always crap and total value is even higher.

I live in Brazil, considered a developing country. The region I live in is considered undeveloped even by Brazilian standards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200309-162816.png
    Screenshot_20200309-162816.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom