Soy Lecithin

gretchen

j. said:
It's hard to buy chocolate. I went to the story recently, and I think I look at about 14 brands. All of them had at least one questionable ingredient.

I picked up a Hershey's bar Saturday night at Wal-Mart. When I'm hungry and tired I grab what is available but sure it's a bummer that most chocolate contains s.l.

4peatssake

gretchen said:
j. said:
It's hard to buy chocolate. I went to the story recently, and I think I look at about 14 brands. All of them had at least one questionable ingredient.

I picked up a Hershey's bar Saturday night at Wal-Mart. When I'm hungry and tired I grab what is available but sure it's a bummer that most chocolate contains s.l.

I hear that. I was doing this as well but discovered I was having a bad reaction to the chocolate. I think it may be worth it for me to buy as case of bars without s.l. and stick one on my purse when I go out. It's a great pick me up. Otherwise I'll grab a coffee and asked for triple milk and sugar. :mrgreen: That works for me too. ;)

messtafarian

I'm horrified.

That is absolutely disgusting. And you know what? The lump on the left side of my throat *is* bigger today.

Swandattur

The article that has the thing about putting soy junk on fruit for ripening or preservation makes me leery of fruit peels. Of course that lets out cranberries, blueberries, and other unpeelable fruit, and you would want to peel apples.
And what about " natural flavorings". So many things that otherwise seem okay have "natural flavoring". That could, and most likely does, contain something you really don't want.

PhilParma

I bought some BCAA from BulkSupplements; I didn't realize until the shipment arrived that it has "lecithin" as an ingredient. Should I consume this supplement or not? The product page says: "free of soy", yet it contains "lecithin." I don't want to ingest a highly estrogenic substance...

Should I eat lecithin?

mt_dreams

I bought some BCAA from BulkSupplements; I didn't realize until the shipment arrived that it has "lecithin" as an ingredient. Should I consume this supplement or not? The product page says: "free of soy", yet it contains "lecithin." I don't want to ingest a highly estrogenic substance...

Should I eat lecithin?
if it says no soy, then the lecithin is most likely from sunflower which mitigates any estrogen concerns.

PhilParma

if it says no soy, then the lecithin is most likely from sunflower which mitigates any estrogen concerns.

Thanks for your input. It also says that the supplement is somewhere from 0.3 to 1% lecithin, and the total weight is 500 grams. So I guess I'd be consuming at most 5g of non-soy lecithin over the span of a couple months. I don't know if that's a lot or a little in terms of lecithin; I have to research more. In the meantime I guess I'll just stop being orthorexic and consume the damn supplement. Thanks again.

Others feel free to chime in and indulge my budding orthorexia.

Kunder

Ordering a supplement and not checking for ingredients before the purchase - neither orthorexic nor Peaty. You'fine.

Linbaba

"A gram or so isn't going to make a big difference, but it does have a slightly toxic effect."

Did some Googling and supposedly 0.3-0.7% is the amount used in chocolate. So if the other ingredients are OK and there isn't anything better available, I'd still eat it. Better than going nuts for not finding more ideal alternatives IMO.

Otterbutt

This might get buried like this thread, but I recently tried a stint with Julia Ross's Craving Cure (I have read Mood and Diet Cures as well at various points in my "health" journey, which just winds up driving me batshit) and something I came across was that she recommended soy lecithin to diabetics healing from fatty liver:
"If, like 70% of diabetics, you have NAFLD, 2 tablespoons of lecithin granules (soy only) contain phosphotidyl choline, which is specifically required for healing of fatty liver. Swallow with water (do not chew it will stick to your teeth)." Of course then she goes on to say use Omega-3 to balance O-6, and of course the Craving Cure is all about using aminos to keep yourself away from stimulants, sugar, and dairy (among basically everything else delicious) while eating a bunch of protein and vegetables...

Liver and eggs are also good sources, that would be the peaty way to go. I'd just love to justify my love of all the varieties of chocolate with otherwise quality ingredients by saying, hey, maybe this (extremely small amount) of SL isn't necessarily all bad? :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals