Share your b3 experiences/side effects with me and the world

FitnessMike

Pros:

1) I find that it have notripic effec, my brain works better, feel smarter and memory is better.
2) It was one of the missing links for my meds to exert effect i believe, pulse went up since i staerted playing wiht niacinamine.

Cons:
1) insomnia onset, need to work it out , didint have this problem before.

cremes

I take 3 grams of niacin (not niacinamide or the other variants) as a divided dose with meals each day. That is, 1 gram per meal.

I've been doing this for about 10 weeks now.

Here are the positives:
* better energy (though this could also be related to Energin which I also take to balance the B3)
* better memory
* during the flush, my body temp rises 0.2F - 0.4F and then settles down again

Here are the negatives:
* I have developed a mild case of acanthosis nigracins (details here)

I noticed the acanthosis on my neck when I stretch it upward to shave. I also noticed that the skin in my armpits has darkened a little bit and has a slightly different texture. Not worried about it but I'm monitoring it.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I take 3 grams of niacin (not niacinamide or the other variants) as a divided dose with meals each day. That is, 1 gram per meal.

I've been doing this for about 10 weeks now.

Here are the positives:
* better energy (though this could also be related to Energin which I also take to balance the B3)
* better memory
* during the flush, my body temp rises 0.2F - 0.4F and then settles down again

Here are the negatives:
* I have developed a mild case of acanthosis nigracins (details here)

I noticed the acanthosis on my neck when I stretch it upward to shave. I also noticed that the skin in my armpits has darkened a little bit and has a slightly different texture. Not worried about it but I'm monitoring it.
any specific reason why you are using flushing form?

i wonder whether you can create imbalances in relation to other b vitamins if you supplement one b vitamin in high quant lets say.

cremes

any specific reason why you are using flushing form?
Yes. According to Abraham Hoffer the flushing form of niacin is the only one that reduces LDL and raises HDL. My cardiologist wants me on a statin so I'm doing high dose B3 to avoid that.

It's possible there are imbalances created, so I take Energin on a daily basis too.

To combat the acathosis nigracins, I am reducing from 3 grams per day to 2 grams per day to see if this issue resolves itself. I'll give it a month.

Limon9

Pros:

1) I find that it have notripic effec, my brain works better, feel smarter and memory is better.
2) It was one of the missing links for my meds to exert effect i believe, pulse went up since i staerted playing wiht niacinamine.

Cons:
I've only tried niacinamide, but this has exactly the opposite effects on my cognition. Smaller amounts work okay; spraying an ethanol solution of 30 milligrams onto my skin feels pretty good.
Yes. According to Abraham Hoffer the flushing form of niacin is the only one that reduces LDL and raises HDL. My cardiologist wants me on a statin so I'm doing high dose B3 to avoid that.

It's possible there are imbalances created, so I take Energin on a daily basis too.

To combat the acathosis nigracins, I am reducing from 3 grams per day to 2 grams per day to see if this issue resolves itself. I'll give it a month.
"Comparison of simvastatin (10 mg per day) with policosanol (10 mg per day) in elderly patients with moderate primary hypercholesterolemia showed that both drugs have at these dosages similar efficacy in lowering total cholesterol and LDL-C. In another short-term study (6 weeks) comparing the efficacy of policosanol (10 mg per day) versus pravastatin (10 mg per day), the reduction in total cholesterol was similar with both drugs, whereas the decrease in LDL-C and the increase in HDL-C were more pronounced during policosanol treatment. This finding could be confirmed in a recent study in elderly patients treated for 8 weeks."

Am Heart J. 2002 Feb;143(2):356-65. Policosanol: clinical pharmacology and therapeutic significance of a new lipid-lowering agent. Gouni-Berthold I, Berthold HK.
“The current results show that 24 weeks of policosanol consumption resulted in significant lowering of brachial (peripheral) BP and central aortic BP in a dose dependent manner as well as lowering of serum renin and aldosterone levels in pre-hypertensive participants. For the blood lipid parameters, 24 weeks of policosanol therapy resulted in significant reduction of TC and LDL-C as well as concomitant increases in HDL-C and the HDL-C/TC ratio in a dose-dependent manner.”

Front Physiol. 2018 Apr 24;9:412. Long-term consumption of cuban policosanol lowers central and brachial blood pressure and improves lipid profile with enhancement of lipoprotein properties in healthy Korean participants. Kim SJ et al.
“PC [policosanol] administration to diabetic hypercholesterolemic rats demonstrated hypolipemic, hypoglycemic, anti-oxidant, and anti-inflammatory effects along with remarkable inhibition of vascular calcification (Figure 4).”

Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2016 Nov;241(17):1943-1949. Policosanol as a new inhibitor candidate for vascular calcification in diabetic hyperlipidemic rats. Elseweidy MM et al.
“In conclusion, eight weeks of policosanol consumption in SHR [spontaneously hypertensive rats resulted in remarkable reduction of blood pressure, serum aldosterone, and serum TG [triglyceride] levels along with the elevation of HDL-C and improvement of hepatic inflammation.”

Molecules. 2018 May 3;23(5):1080. Blood pressure lowering effect of Cuban policosanol is accompanied by improvement of hepatic inflammation, lipoprotein profile, and HDL quality in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Cho KH et al.
"Scientific studies where octacosanol alone was used in humans are limited. Keller et al., studied the use of 30 mg/day (10 mg each with 3 principle meals) for 4 weeks in human females and did not report any adverse effect [30]. Most studies on humans used policosanol, with octacosanol as major constituent and suggested a safer dose of 10–20 mg/day for humans [31, 32]. The dose used in this study is much higher compared to suggested human dose, however, a much higher dose (500 mg/day) of policosanol continuously for 1-year was found to be safe in rats [33]."

Sci Rep. 2017 Aug 21;7(1):8892. Octacosanol restores stress-affected sleep in mice by alleviating stress. Kaushik MK et al.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Don't mean to hijack the post into the realm of policosanol, but I appreciate the studies shared as I'm fascinated by this substance.

Re B3, i read on a weight-loss thread, a member found 40mg niacinamide x4 a day helpful for weight loss, something I'd like to try

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Re B3, i read on a weight-loss thread, a member found 40mg niacinamide x4 a day helpful for weight loss, something I'd like to try
I tried that to no avail. I gave it time.

I still take niacinamide through a B-comlex, Energin, few times a day. I feel healthier and more energetic with less neurological issues while taking B vitamins.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I tried that to no avail. I gave it time.

I still take niacinamide through a B-comlex, Energin, few times a day. I feel healthier and more energetic with less neurological issues while taking B vitamins.
did you try lowering fat increasing carbs to loose fat? i soon will be at my normal weight.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
did you try lowering fat increasing carbs to loose fat? i soon will be at my normal weight.
Happy for you - yes, I did. Gotta figure out the weight thing. I track calories and take thyroid... But let us not hijack the B3 thread.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

this is very interesting, while i was on higher dose of b3 and low fat diet, i lost 10kg, i thought it due to low fat diet, but now thinking about it fat lose stopped with stoping b3(due to side effects).

Hopefully i will manage to make 500mg workfor me this time...

Elie

Forum Supporter
this is very interesting, while i was on higher dose of b3 and low fat diet, i lost 10kg, i thought it due to low fat diet, but now thinking about it fat lose stopped with stoping b3(due to side effects).

Hopefully i will manage to make 500mg workfor me this time...
what dose of niacinamide did you take?

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Got it.
Are you taking it again? You mentioned it caused insomnia? did you fix it?
I started 500mg again and hopefully this time i can make it work

Connor888

Hard for me to say whether or not it is the B3, since I take it in the form of a b -complex. But ever since taking 2x the recommended serving size of this product, my energy and fatigue are so much improved. after only a few days

Last edited:

Frankdee20

I just started Niacin plain Nicotinic Acid type, 100 MG daily, and it is an awesome supplement.

joaquin

Pros:

Cons:
Same. Except I also get itchy.

Frankdee20

Same. Except I also get itchy.
I started 500mg again and hopefully this time i can make it work
If you were referring to the niacinamide form, I do believe the insomnia is likely caused by not having sufficient carbs for that supplement to burn off. It really does cause a stress reaction if one does not drink tons of sugar and eat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom