National Medical Data opt-out UK

Peatress

This is one way to collect DNA from new borns

A rapid test that can help preserve the hearing of newborn babies is set to be used by NHS hospitals.

For some babies, commonly used antibiotics can become toxic. The drugs damage sensory cells inside the ear leading to permanent hearing loss.

The test - which analyses babies' DNA - can quickly spot those who are vulnerable.

It means they can be given a different type of antibiotic and avoid having a lifetime of damaged hearing.

Peatress

Peatress

Peatress

If your GP practice signs up to this datalink your medical data automatically goes with them.

CPRD collects anonymised patient data from a network of GP practices across the UK. Primary care data are linked to a range of other health related data to provide a longitudinal, representative UK population health dataset. The data encompass 60 million patients, including 18 million currently registered patients.

Peatress

Peatress

View: https://twitter.com/Jikkyleaks/status/1667142056626753538?cxt=HHwWhMDQtcO38KIuAAAA

NHS Solutions: Utilising the extensive range of data assets exclusively available to IQVIA, combined with our market leading expertise, we are able to support your organisation meet the challenge of delivering high quality, efficient and cost effective healthcare by identifying actionable insight and realising the value in your data.

Peatress

UK Column reports on the ways our medical data will be shared

UK Column Exclusive: BARDA Deep Dive With Debi Evans and Cheryl Grainger—US-UK-EU Mutual Medicines Recognition Agreement, Bleeding Us Dry​

15:15 British Medical Journal: US public investment in development of mRNA Covid–19 vaccines: retrospective cohort study

Financial Times (2021): NHS shares English hospital data with dozens of companies

Morning Star: Centene—the toxic firm that’s rapidly expanding into our NHS

Centene Corporation: Managed Care & Healthcare Solutions

National Association of Counties (USA): Hon. Xavier Becerra—National Association of Counties

US Department of Health and Human Services: HHS Organizational Charts Office of Secretary and Divisions

US Department of Health and Human Services: BARDA: Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority

HHS Preparedness and Response: BARDA Strategic Plan: Gary Disbrow, PhD, BARDA Director

Medical Countermeasures Gov: BARDA'S Strategic Plan 2022-2026—Medical Countermeasures

FDA: FDA and European Union Announce Mutual Recognition Agreement for Pharmaceutical Good Manufacturing Practice Inspections of Animal Drugs

European Medicines Agency: Mutual recognition agreements (MRA)

JD Supra: UK MHRA to recognise medicine approvals including from FDA and EMA

GOV.UK: MHRA announces new recognition routes to facilitate safe access to new medicines with seven international partners

GOV.UK: Project Orbis

Project Orbis is coordinated by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Image: Mutual recognition of British, EU and American medicines regulators in the interests of rapid counter-measures for national security

Peatress

AccuRx Data Collection—Viewer's E-mail

Thank you to Gary for this e-mail (one of several received about Wednesday's coverage of AccuRx—several others pointed out that the abbreviation 'Rx' means 'prescription' or 'treatment'):

Accurx is collecting structured QOF data. It sends a patient a text which contains a survey link. As soon as a patient responds to the survey, the practice gets notification. One doctor confided:
‘I have used it for the last 2 weeks by sending out 50+ texts. I can see it has clawed in approximately £2,000 of QOF monies.’
In case you are not aware, QOF is quality of outcomes framework money. It's a sort of bonus for hitting targets. Each QOF point is worth £194.83. Total points = 567. Blimey, that's £110,468.61. That not a bad little bonus, is it.”

CPRD: Clinical Practice Research Datalink

Original source

Peatress

NHS: The Private Businesses' Data Centre

11:02 Daily Mail: Chris Whitty warns thousands of middle-aged people are dying of heart conditions that went untreated during the Covid pandemic as patients missed out on statins and blood pressure pills

The Telegraph: Patients at increased risk if they opt out of NHS data sharing, Sir Chris Whitty warns

Bloomberg News: Atos names Accenture's Bernaert as CEO ahead of planned split

Digital Health: Privacy groups focus on national data opt-out as FDP tender concludes

GOV.UK: Life Sciences Vision

Yahoo Finance: Palantir secures contract with UK's National Health Service

Daily Mail: Controversial US tech giant Palantir 'set to win £480million NHS contract to manage your patient data'

NHS Transformation Directorate: NHSx moves on

Peatress

Last edited:

Peatress

Health Data Mining—#JustSayNo to the privacy terms start @33mins​

From the blog

Ultramed​

It’s been an interesting week for the health industry. After three weeks, I am still waiting for my ‘urgent’ X-ray to discover if my foot is, as I believe, broken. Thank you so much for all the messages of good wishes. It appears that the word ‘urgency’ has different meanings in the NHS. Last week on News Extra, I hinted that I was on a mission to discover more about a company called Ultramed, a company operating a new NHS platform responsible for questionnaires regarding pre-operative, pre-investigative and clinical treatments offered by the NHS. Ultramed describes itself this:

We work with healthcare professionals to deliver cost and time effective solutions for preoperative and pre-procedural assessments. Our person centred approach ensures we offer products that work, not only for the healthcare provider, but for patients too.

Ultramed claims to increase capacity, decrease patient backlogs, reduce waiting times and reduce costs. In reality, it appears to me that this is just another data grab, and an unnecessary one at that. Patients are being asked to give a large amount of data online before they get offered treatment, an investigation or surgery.

Who are Ultramed and where does our data go?​

As a result of a friend going to her GP to report a lump, I have discovered a new way of the NHS attempting to data grab from our most vulnerable.

My friend was put on the ‘red alert’ list for urgent cancer checks. The first ‘triage’ appointment arrived within two weeks and she duly attended. She was surprised to be met by a nurse practitioner and not a doctor. The nurse carried out an initial physical examination and asked a few questions before recommending an urgent endoscopy (within two weeks) to further determine the pathology of the lump. She returned home expecting to receive an appointment letter within the next few days. Sadly, this was not the case.

Within hours of the first appointment, she received a text message which instructed her to click a link and fill out a questionnaire before being issued with an appointment. The link took her to an organisation she had never heard of: Ultramed. Immediately suspicious, she went directly to their website and privacy policy. Alarmed at what she saw, she had no hesitation in deciding not to fill it in. I shall be covering more of this on UK Column News on 25 October 2023. Once again, this is an event that raises an important question. Whom are you sharing your data with, and where does it go? You may not like the answer.

To cut a long story short, after deciding not to give her intimate details to a private company with a dodgy privacy policy, my friend didn’t know what to do next. I advised her to call the hospital to ask. She and I were both surprised to learn that the hospital totally understood her reluctance and concerns and agreed she need not fill out the questionnaire. They issued her with an appointment and admission instructions. Job done. So there you go: there was no legal or procedural requirement to engage with Ultramed at all. The phrase #JustSayNo appears to be working.

Last edited:

Peatress

Dr Katie Bramall-Stainer, Chair of the BMA GP Committee for England, said:

“For the majority of patients, access to their GP record on their smartphone will be a welcome development. However, for a significant number of patients, especially those members of our society who are most vulnerable – women, children and those lacking capacity – the forced implementation of this process is a cause for concern for us as GPs.

“For almost two years we have been engaged with the Department of Health and NHS England in highlighting GP’s anxieties. I worry for patients we frequently see, a parent whose abusive spouse may use sensitive clinical information to undermine legal cases of custody of dependents in the family courts, patients requesting covert contraception forbidden in their home or relationship, or those disclosing abuse from others who may have access to their smartphone. These are but a few examples causing GPs as data controllers to raise concerns about this flawed implementation.

“We would encourage any such patient to let their GP practice teams know if they wish to opt-out at the present time, or to not install the NHS app, until we have reached safe and practical agreements over where and how we can protect the most vulnerable and disenfranchised members of our society, with government and NHS leaders.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals