Male Severely Depressed, Very Underweight. Please Help

Lizb

A family member is mid twenties, and very under weight but not anorexic.

I have been given a recipie for weight gain - one pint milk, one egg, 3 scoops of ice cream, 2 table spoons of sugar x 3 daily as a minimum. I roughly worked out that each drink could deliver about 700 -1000 calories per pint.

He can't even manage that.

I read yesterday Nathan Hatch's guide to quickly interrupting depression- taurine, green banana skin, etc, I can't remember the other things without looking. I'm terrified of making things worse but carrying on like this isn't an option.

Has anyone suffering from depression used this interruption protocol mentioned above?

He's a chef - lots of adrenaline, long hours, no sunlight. He's off work for a few days. He's sleeping like a log, I'm guessing because the body is so depleted.

Please keep it simple.

rob

A family member is mid twenties, and very under weight but not anorexic.

I have been given a recipie for weight gain - one pint milk, one egg, 3 scoops of ice cream, 2 table spoons of sugar x 3 daily as a minimum. I roughly worked out that each drink could deliver about 700 -1000 calories per pint.

He can't even manage that.

I read yesterday Nathan Hatch's guide to quickly interrupting depression- taurine, green banana skin, etc, I can't remember the other things without looking. I'm terrified of making things worse but carrying on like this isn't an option.

Has anyone suffering from depression used this interruption protocol mentioned above?

He's a chef - lots of adrenaline, long hours, no sunlight. He's off work for a few days. He's sleeping like a log, I'm guessing because the body is so depleted.

Please keep it simple.

Hi Lizb, first off, on the calories front I would focus on palatability, so emphasising more of the foods he normally likes. You can make things healthier later when weight normalises and hormones settle.

I don’t want to overwhelm you with a long supplement list but, to support metabolism and offset some of the stress impact, I would encourage a good activated B vitamin complex (from brands like Life Extension, Swanson or Pure Encapsulations). Also, to support the B vitamins, you could consider a magnesium supplement (e.g. magnesium glycinate) - Mg is generally harder for people to get lots of in their diet.

Beyond all of that I would ensure good consumption of the attendant electrolytes, especially given that he works in what I assume to be a hot, sweaty environment. So ensure enough salt and lots of potassium (coconut water and potatoes are two of the better sources) to balance out the effects of sodium and support stomach acid secretion.

Last edited:
OP
Lizb

Lizb

Hi Lizb, first off, on the calories front I would focus on palatability, so emphasising more of the foods he normally likes. You can make things healthier later when weight normalises and hormones settle.

I don’t want to overwhelm you with a long supplement list but, to support metabolism and offset some of the stress impact, I would encourage a good activated B vitamin complex (from brands like Life Extension, Swanson or Pure Encapsulations). Also, to support the B vitamins, you could consider a magnesium supplement (e.g. magnesium glycinate) - Mg is generally harder for people to get lots of in their diet.

Beyond all of that I would ensure good consumption of the attendant electrolytes, especially given that he works in what I assume to be a hot, sweaty environment. So ensure enough salt and lots of potassium (coconut water and potatoes are two of the better sources) to balance out the effects of sodium and support stomach acid secretion.
Thank you for the encouragement. That's useful and I think he will take that on board and it's straight forward to follow.

Vinny

6K cal a day for 6 months.

(Was simple enough?)

ExCarniv

+1 on Magnesium and B Vitamins.

Barbarossa

If his thyroid is off, or sluggish... you can eat as much as you want, you wouldn’t gain weight, thyroid is needed to absorb nutrients from food. Just ky 2c

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom