Letting A Peeled Banana Get Some Air Makes Sweeter. Peaty Implications?

Prosper

I smashed a few bananas up on a plate and let them sit at room temperature for half an hour. When I came back, they were brown, mushy and tasted very sweet. The texture felt less starchy and more fruity than that of a just peeled yellow banana. What exactly happened?

paymanz

It has amylase,

probably by smashing them you Mix the enzyme with starches and accelerate starch break into sugars.

So its not just peeling,you smashed it.

Xisca

I have done this all my life, as instinct, now I know I can digest them better, less starch.
Important when not fully ripe.
I usually mix several times, as the surface darken more.

The less starch the more Peat friendly I would say as a general statement!

OP
Prosper

Prosper

I have done this all my life, as instinct, now I know I can digest them better, less starch.
Important when not fully ripe.
I usually mix several times, as the surface darken more.

The less starch the more Peat friendly I would say as a general statement!
That's what I thought too. Definitely seems to make digestion easier.

DuggaDugga

Wow, that's really cool. I've always liked bananas when they're just about brown but historically my lack of patience has caused me to eat some rather "raw" bananas, to my own gastro-discomfort. It seems like bananas stay green forever, so this is a nice trick to expedite the process.
One thing that concerns me about bananas yet is the tryptophan. Wonder if there are some natural tricks to minimize its impact.

OP
Prosper

Prosper

Wow, that's really cool. I've always liked bananas when they're just about brown but historically my lack of patience has caused me to eat some rather "raw" bananas, to my own gastro-discomfort. It seems like bananas stay green forever, so this is a nice trick to expedite the process.
One thing that concerns me about bananas yet is the tryptophan. Wonder if there are some natural tricks to minimize its impact.
A small amount of gelatin does the trick.

DuggaDugga

A small amount of gelatin does the trick.
Sure.
I was meaning more a long the lines of increasing its conversion to niacin rather than serotonin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom