Heme iron or Boron for Hydrogen sulfide SIBO

June

I know iron is not recommended but I am severely anemic due to loss of blood. I suspect H2S sibo so I assume Heme iron made from cow is counterproductive. But which iron would be safe? Iron bisglycinate? Taken a product in the past called Floravit but I think the vegetables in there are too high in sulfur. I'm pale as a ghost. Also is Boron safe for sulfur sensitivity? This isn't related to my blood loss but I have a trace mineral I would like to take and only thing on list that I'm not read up on is Boron. thanks in advance.

Last edited:

brightside

If anything, heme iron is what you want to take. Effective dose is much, much less, and there is no gut symptoms for me. I take “Proferrin”

If you want a layer of protection, you can also get some lactoferrin. It will help prevent bacterial/fungal growth by latching onto any free iron and preventing access to those bugs. Additionally, lactoferrin has been used before to improve blood counts despite no supplemental iron. This is because it lowers inflammation, and helps pull iron out of stores. Much recommended

OP
J

June

If anything, heme iron is what you want to take. Effective dose is much, much less, and there is no gut symptoms for me. I take “Proferrin”

If you want a layer of protection, you can also get some lactoferrin. It will help prevent bacterial/fungal growth by latching onto any free iron and preventing access to those bugs. Additionally, lactoferrin has been used before to improve blood counts despite no supplemental iron. This is because it lowers inflammation, and helps pull iron out of stores. Much recommended
Thank you! that's what I thought. But I think until I address the H2S SIBO so the counts aren't so high, I think I will cautiously stay away from Heme iron for the time being. Any other options for iron replenishment? Is iron bisglycinate any good for short term? also if someone can address the Boron question. Thanks!

brightside

Thank you! that's what I thought. But I think until I address the H2S SIBO so the counts aren't so high, I think I will cautiously stay away from Heme iron for the time being. Any other options for iron replenishment? Is iron bisglycinate any good for short term? also if someone can address the Boron question. Thanks!
From what I understand, iron chelates would promote bacterial growth more. If not due to the composition, then due to the increased dosages required to have the same effect. Also, I'm pretty sure that iron supplements can be quite toxic due to ROS production and subsequent damage to the gut lining. Heme iron largely avoids this problem, I think. Either way, though, it does require smaller dosages.

/\
|
That last one is fairly obvious, but have you made sure that your B vitamins are adequate? What about copper? Etc.

I can't answer your boron question, but I found this explanation for H2S SIBO quite interesting.

Also this, highly relevant

Dutchie

I know iron is not recommended but I am severely anemic due to loss of blood. I suspect H2S sibo so I assume Heme iron made from cow is counterproductive. But which iron would be safe? Iron bisglycinate? Taken a product in the past called Floravit but I think the vegetables in there are too high in sulfur. I'm pale as a ghost. Also is Boron safe for sulfur sensitivity? This isn't related to my blood loss but I have a trace mineral I would like to take and only thing on list that I'm not read up on is Boron. thanks in advance.

Don't know about boron, but I've frequently seen molybdenum mentioned with h2s sibo/sulfur sensitivity.

redsun

Problem with heme iron is the absorption mechanism is saturable. You need a large amount of iron to be absorbed to reverse severe anemia. Heme iron will take exceedingly long because you cannot take high doses. Beyond 10 mg of heme iron the amount you absorb basically stays the same. Non heme iron absorption is more effective because of this but you still need to take quite a bit for months.

The thing is if you are already anemic that means you are well past iron deficiency. Low iron even without anemia leads to hypothyroidism. So not treating anemia and iron deficiency as a result can lead to SIBO since hypothyroidism is the main reason for SIBO as it reduces stomach acid and gut motility. The other issue of anemia is blood is diverted towards the heart and brain. These are the priority and other tissues will not obtain as much oxygen and blood flow which can contribute to dysfunction in all your other organs and tissues.

Iron bisglycinate is probably the best form but regardless you do need to take a lot of iron for a long period of time to fix anemia and to increase iron stores. Otherwise it will be difficult to actually fix SIBO since anemia and lack of iron will keep you hypo and reduce ATP synthesis which will compromise many functions that depend on ATP. Iodine can also help with this but iodine won't work nearly as well if you are severely anemic. You need to fix iron first.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals