Ghost Whipe = Healthy Colon?

Peatogenic

I perceive calcium balance and magnesium to be central to stool consistency and movement. The elusive ghost wipe seems related to inflammation or bacteria dysregulation.

DrJ

I think it probably has to do with saturated fat and calcium. If I eat nothing but ice cream I get nothing but ghost wipes. Same thing happens when I eat lots of cream cheese, milk, coconut milk, and/or stearic acid. Still, though, I think there are some things you can do to mess it up like eat irritating foods or foods fried in PUFA.

L

Lord Cola

I used to get these when I used to eat lots of green, raw vegetables. But I did not feel good back then.

yerrag

have been having ghost wipes on and off lately. I wonder if it has to do with me taking 2x50mg doxycycline for the past 6 days.

baccheion

Can be a sign of dehydration. Magnesium pulls water into the bowels, loosening stools. Calcium does the opposite. I started getting them more while on a large amount of vitamin D3.

yerrag

Can be a sign of dehydration. Magnesium pulls water into the bowels, loosening stools. Calcium does the opposite. I started getting them more while on a large amount of vitamin D3.
Can't be dehydration. I'm drinking enough. More so because I'd been drinking more tea, in addition to my intake of juice and water.

Could you elucidate on how magnesium pulls water into the stools? And how calcium pulls water out of the stools?

I could see low pH causing diarrhea. And I could see magnesium (in cells, not in the gut) improving peristalsis and bowel movement, but not so much as leading to ghost wipes.

baccheion

Can't be dehydration. I'm drinking enough. More so because I'd been drinking more tea, in addition to my intake of juice and water.

Could you elucidate on how magnesium pulls water into the stools? And how calcium pulls water out of the stools?

I could see low pH causing diarrhea. And I could see magnesium (in cells, not in the gut) improving peristalsis and bowel movement, but not so much as leading to ghost wipes.
You can get enough liquid and be dehydrated in the bowels. You can also be dehydrated overall if lacking sufficient electrolytes. You can search online for more about magnesium and loose stools.

yerrag

You can get enough liquid and be dehydrated in the bowels. You can also be dehydrated overall if lacking sufficient electrolytes. You can search online for more about magnesium and loose stools.
I was hoping you could be able to explain it, if it's not too difficult for you.

And no, I'm well-hydrated and have enough electrolytes.

Your answers would be more helpful if you can back your statements with plausible explanations as currently, it doesn't show you have a firm grasp of what you're saying.

Last edited:
OP
Vinny

Vinny

I,ve never noticed a correlation between my G wipes and level of hydration so far, but will keep it in mind.

sladerunner69

Has anyone here tried going low FODMAP for sibo/ irritable bowel syndrome? I have come across a few people claiming to have fixed gut issues like this by avoiding carbs, specifically fructose. Could this be considered a shortcoming of carbs/peating? The only way it seems to beat poor gut health is to avoid carbs- as sugar feeds it.

baccheion

I,ve never noticed a correlation between my G wipes and level of hydration so far, but will keep it in mind.
Hydration has more to do with electrolyte levels. In the intestines, more calcium:magnesium equals less water pulled into the bowels.

milkboi

Hydration has more to do with electrolyte levels. In the intestines, more calcium:magnesium equals less water pulled into the bowels.

So therefore calcium allows for higher magnesium intake without resulting diarrhea? That certainly seems to match my personal experience.

Jennifer

After bowel movement, I sometimes don,t need to use toilet paper. The feeling is incrdible. The evacuation is so smooth and satisfactory, but, unfortunately it,s a rare event.
I gues inflamation of the colon is what determines the end result. If you have healthy tube, your toilet paper expensees will go down. Can,t prove my thought, but most of you,ll probably agree with me.
So, I,ve been instinctively avoiding possible irritants like alcohol, spicey/hot food, raw fiber, etc (you can continue the list if you like). However, I don,t have a knowledge what foods, supplements and habits will give me a happy and healthy butt. Thoughts?
It has been my experience that well digested/tolerated foods = ghost wipes. While following a fruitarian diet, I not only have ghost wipes but odorless stools too. I've read similar experiences from those eating a carnivore diet and also mainly dairy. For me, dairy and meat cause the most intestinal distress and leave the most residue. I've eaten plant-based for the majority of my life so I suspect my system is just more adapted to plants than animal protein.

OP
Vinny

Vinny

It has been my experience that well digested/tolerated foods = ghost wipes.
That's my explanation too, for the time being.

Pointless

I used to have to wipe dozens of times, but Mitolipin normalized it. 25 drops per day topically. I figured that the phosphatidylcholine was normalizing gall bladder function and enhancing the digestion and absorption of fats. I could be wrong, though.

Constatine

Has anyone here tried going low FODMAP for sibo/ irritable bowel syndrome? I have come across a few people claiming to have fixed gut issues like this by avoiding carbs, specifically fructose. Could this be considered a shortcoming of carbs/peating? The only way it seems to beat poor gut health is to avoid carbs- as sugar feeds it.
I had Sibo/ irritable bowel syndrome for quite some time. I'd say I'm 95 percent better now. I've had so many ups and downs and my ups have always correlated with a more balanced, less extreme approach. Starving the bacteria or going heavy on antimicrobials have never worked for me. Focusing on improving the immune system, particularly mucosal immunity (iga, defensins, etc) has proven to be the best approach for me. As backwards as it seems a large chunk of my diet now a days is just a whole lot of chicken and pasta. Trying low carbs with SIBO was probably when I was the most sick. In my experience fixing the gut microbiome should be a constant subtle push in the right direction, not trying to nuke the bacteria.

sladerunner69

I had Sibo/ irritable bowel syndrome for quite some time. I'd say I'm 95 percent better now. I've had so many ups and downs and my ups have always correlated with a more balanced, less extreme approach. Starving the bacteria or going heavy on antimicrobials have never worked for me. Focusing on improving the immune system, particularly mucosal immunity (iga, defensins, etc) has proven to be the best approach for me. As backwards as it seems a large chunk of my diet now a days is just a whole lot of chicken and pasta. Trying low carbs with SIBO was probably when I was the most sick. In my experience fixing the gut microbiome should be a constant subtle push in the right direction, not trying to nuke the bacteria.

Interesting thoughts, thanks. I'm trying to understand what you mean by mucosal immunity, iga and defensins. I don't have much knowledge there, as the words seem novel. Which dietary approached have you found the most helpful? Starches and meat, or is that just to your taste? I am worried that Orange Juice and other juices are high in fructose which is classified a FODMAP by many, which means it would feed bacteria in the lower intestine and contribute to SIBO.

Inaut

I’m back to ghost wiping daily :)

Over a week—solid (pun intended)

Constatine

Interesting thoughts, thanks. I'm trying to understand what you mean by mucosal immunity, iga and defensins. I don't have much knowledge there, as the words seem novel. Which dietary approached have you found the most helpful? Starches and meat, or is that just to your taste? I am worried that Orange Juice and other juices are high in fructose which is classified a FODMAP by many, which means it would feed bacteria in the lower intestine and contribute to SIBO.
IGA (immunoglobulin A) is just an important protein secreted that modulates the microbiome and is important for killing-controlling pathogenic bacteria/viruses/fungi. Low IGA indicates poor immunity and susceptibility to intestinal (and other) infections. Its one of the main compounds indicating intestinal immunity. The definition of IGA can be pretty much copied and pasted for defensins, though its worth noting that some defensins are highly expressed during IBS or other intestinal challenges Defensins and mucosal protection. - PubMed - NCBI, Elevated human beta-defensin-2 levels indicate an activation of the innate immune system in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. - PubMed - NCBI. Whether this expression is just the body's way to combating dysbiosis or is a cause for dysbiosis is up for debate.
One thing I've learned is that SIBO and IBS might require radically different approaches for different individuals as the more dominant bacteria or fungi in one's microbiome won't match another's. Thus these bacteria will react differently to whatever we throw at it. For myself I am much more tolerant of all foods when my diet is high in protein (about 200 grams a day feels best, via chicken as I don't do well with an abundance fat) and relatively high in carbs (I do seem to do better with starches like pasta than sugars, though I still consume a good amount of sugars). A high protein diet is especially important to mucosal immunity. Trying to keep iron intake as low as possible without hindering your intake of other nutrients is useful. Iron can promote the growth of pathogenic bacteria and bacteria in general. I always buy organic pasta without any added iron, if I don't I end up feeling noticeably worse. I don't think avoiding FODMAPs is all that useful simply because it can lead to a diet relatively low in carbs and nutrients. Yes a perfect FODMAP diet will likely reduce the severity of SIBO but an imperfect FODMAP diet where one becomes undernourished will further perpetuate the problem via poor immunity.
Overall the best approach I've found is to focus on getting plenty of nutrients and just avoid foods that obviously make me feel ill. I also walk a whole lot to increase bowel frequency. Drinking high quality tea seems to help me as well, though too much tea or tea of poor quality does just the opposite.
There is a lot of focus on not feeding the bacteria when it comes to SIBO. This certainly has some merit but in my experience the best approach is to modulate the bacteria profile over time and when your intestinal immunity rises the bacteria counts should naturally fall.

sladerunner69

IGA (immunoglobulin A) is just an important protein secreted that modulates the microbiome and is important for killing-controlling pathogenic bacteria/viruses/fungi. Low IGA indicates poor immunity and susceptibility to intestinal (and other) infections. Its one of the main compounds indicating intestinal immunity. The definition of IGA can be pretty much copied and pasted for defensins, though its worth noting that some defensins are highly expressed during IBS or other intestinal challenges Defensins and mucosal protection. - PubMed - NCBI, Elevated human beta-defensin-2 levels indicate an activation of the innate immune system in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. - PubMed - NCBI. Whether this expression is just the body's way to combating dysbiosis or is a cause for dysbiosis is up for debate.
One thing I've learned is that SIBO and IBS might require radically different approaches for different individuals as the more dominant bacteria or fungi in one's microbiome won't match another's. Thus these bacteria will react differently to whatever we throw at it. For myself I am much more tolerant of all foods when my diet is high in protein (about 200 grams a day feels best, via chicken as I don't do well with an abundance fat) and relatively high in carbs (I do seem to do better with starches like pasta than sugars, though I still consume a good amount of sugars). A high protein diet is especially important to mucosal immunity. Trying to keep iron intake as low as possible without hindering your intake of other nutrients is useful. Iron can promote the growth of pathogenic bacteria and bacteria in general. I always buy organic pasta without any added iron, if I don't I end up feeling noticeably worse. I don't think avoiding FODMAPs is all that useful simply because it can lead to a diet relatively low in carbs and nutrients. Yes a perfect FODMAP diet will likely reduce the severity of SIBO but an imperfect FODMAP diet where one becomes undernourished will further perpetuate the problem via poor immunity.
Overall the best approach I've found is to focus on getting plenty of nutrients and just avoid foods that obviously make me feel ill. I also walk a whole lot to increase bowel frequency. Drinking high quality tea seems to help me as well, though too much tea or tea of poor quality does just the opposite.
There is a lot of focus on not feeding the bacteria when it comes to SIBO. This certainly has some merit but in my experience the best approach is to modulate the bacteria profile over time and when your intestinal immunity rises the bacteria counts should naturally fall.

What kind of tea do you drink? The common green and black varieties?

I find it peculiar youve made headway against SIBO going high starch. Pasta, even gluten free, irritates my gut. Also you eat a lot of chicken, I am assuming mostly breasts and thighs and white meat to keep fat and pufa low? I wonder how you get glycine. It sounds like Peat would say your diet is probably too pro-serotonin with all the starch and muscle meat. Have you tried the strictly juice and milk approach? What were your results there?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom