Calcium carbonate blocks red meat induced colon carcinogenesis

Jamsey

Red meat intake has been linked to increased risk of colon cancer(use google). Calcium carbonate blocks this effect.

“The present study was designed to find a Ca supplementation with no adverse effect, by testing several doses and types of Ca salts. One in vitro study and two short-term studies in rats identified calcium carbonate as the most effective Ca salt to bind haem in vitro and to decrease faecal biomarkers previously associated with increased carcinogenesis: faecal water cytotoxicity and thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances. A long-term carcinogenesis study in dimethylhydrazine-injected rats demonstrated that a diet containing 100 μmol/g calcium carbonate did not promote ACF, in contrast with a previously tested calcium phosphate diet. The results suggest that calcium carbonate, and not calcium phosphate, should be used to reduce haem-associated colorectal cancer risk in meat eaters.”

Last edited:

brightside

This is good, I'm tired of the fear mongering surrounding calcium supplementation.

AnonE

Nice, I've been doing great with higher red meat and less dairy lately. Have been on the fence about calcium supplementation fearmongering, so this is good news. Currently getting good results with a calcium carbonate powder pre-workout, as calcium helps with muscle contractions and pumps.

OP
J

Jamsey

For people against calcium carbonate, green vegetables have also been found to be protective.

joaquin

The myth that red meat causes colon cancer is political in nature.

Don

Red meat does not cause cancer. Its the people that eat red meat and the other behaviours that commonly goes with meat eating. I know it sounds silly but those who eat a lot of red meat tend be drinkers, smokers, eat truly unhealthy foods, exercise less and less caring about their health.

OP
J

Jamsey

Red meat does not cause cancer. Its the people that eat red meat and the other behaviours that commonly goes with meat eating. I know it sounds silly but those who eat a lot of red meat tend be drinkers, smokers, eat truly unhealthy foods, exercise less and less caring about their health.
There’s something called controlling for confounding variables that is well known in the medical field. Besides, this study is in rats, where they control one dietary variable. I quote “We have previously shown that haemin, Hb and red meat promote carcinogen-induced preneoplastic lesions, aberrant crypt foci (ACF), in the colon of rats.” That means that they fed one group of rats red meat and the other standard rat chow, and the meat eating rats developed cancerous legions in their colon at a significantly higher rate. This study is a follow up, where they showed that adding calcium carbonate to the red meat diet stopped the formation of the cancerous lesions.

joaquin

Jessie

This is about the restorative mechanism of calcium, not the beef. This is a win guys, lol.

joaquin

Nope. This might sound crazy but it’s possible to eat meat while recognizing that beef has certain drawbacks.
There's suggestions and then there's proof.
For decades anti-redmeaters have been throwing out claims that have been disproved. But I guess you can just keep on knowing there will always be the gullible.

joaquin

Dr Cowan was listening to some vegan "doctor" talking about how heart disease was almost non-existent a hundred and twenty years ago... and then Dr Cowan realized, No one was vegan 120 years ago. Red meat was was a large dietary staple 120 years ago. Vegans should never be accused of being geniuses.

Apple

Dr Cowan was listening to some vegan "doctor" talking about how heart disease was almost non-existent a hundred and twenty years ago... and then Dr Cowan realized, No one was vegan 120 years ago. Red meat was was a large dietary staple 120 years ago. Vegans should never be accused of being geniuses.
It was existent ...same as now. let him read old books from 100 yers ago, all the health problems were the same, heart failure and cancer were main diseases .

joaquin

@Apple That is not common knowledge. What books would point to cancer and heart disease rates from 120 years ago?

joaquin

@Apple
And I said almost non existent. You replied with "it was existent".. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I did not say cancer and heart were not existent. I said, they were almost non-existent. Slight difference?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals