Ray Peat Diet Causes Cavities?

burtlancast

I've experimented with different toothpastes, and nothing I've tried works as well as good old fluoride toothpaste. I'd say that has more to do with your cavities than an energy-rich diet.

I've brushed religiously my teeth with fluoridated toothpaste for tens of years, and it never prevented tooth decay or plaque buildup.

Now i'm brushing with baking soda, and my new dentist tells me i belong to the group of persons who produce very low plaque.

Even if you produce less of it, you still need to remove it by a dentist once a year, mind you.

And fluoride is very, very, very bad news.

sladerunner69

I've been doing the standard high sugar Ray Peat diet (including soda and candy from time to time semi-often) for about 10 months now. Yesterday I had a checkup, and the dentist said I have 2 cavities. During this time I've also stopped brushing with fluoride and have been brushing with coconut oil and also rinsing with coconut oil.

For now I'll probably have to get fillings. I think I'm going to start chewing xylitol gum between meals and/or rinse with coconut oil between meals and snacks :(.

Anyone have the same problem? Or, does anyone not have this problem despite eating a lot of sugary Ray Peat inspired foods and drinks and eating often throughout the day?

Honestly I believe this is one of the few shortcomings with a pro-metabolic diet. Have you seen Dr. Peat's teeth? They are almost brown, and quite decayed, however he claims this was due to following a wheat germ diet for many years in his 30's. It is easily overcome however, if you rinse with baking soda and floss with prudence.

Eating large quanitites of sugar is great for supporting and vamping up the metabolism to beyond natural levels, and this is good. It improves maybe all factors in health and general well being. However, carbohydrates feed the bacteria in the mouth that release acid and acid breaks down enamel and causes tooth decay. A high functioning thyroid actually plays a significant role is regulating the saliva which prevents against tooth decay and supports enamel. However, as I've gathered from different stories, someitmes a high funcitoning thyroid isnt enough to keep the teeth free from cavities and sparkiling clean. So it is important to rinse your mouth with baking soda a few times a day, or to drink liquids through a straw.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Have you seen Dr. Peat's teeth? They are almost brown, and quite decayed,

But if you compare his teeth to other people around the age of 80 I speculate he is doing better than most especially since he still has most of them.

We are also conditioned to think everyone should have perfectly straight glowing white teeth due to media images but in real life that rarely exists in adults beyond middle age without the aid of bleaching or other cosmetic dentistry procedures.

burtlancast

How do you do it, make a paste with water, or brush dry, or mix it with something else?

You're supposed to make a watery paste, and add salt to make it more abrasive. Salt also helps a lot for prevention of gum disease.

I also rinse after that with hydrogen peroxide 3%.

burtlancast

But if you compare his teeth to other people around the age of 80 I speculate he is doing better than most especially since he still has most of them.

Most 80 year old folks only have a few teeths left by that age.
There are of course incredibly lucky people with exceptional good teeth whose PH saliva helps them avoiding cavities.

bohogirl

I rinse with baking soda after every meal.

I have enamel wearing off at the tops of some of my teeth. Ive been a mouth breather for a really long time, so it probably contributed.

achillea

http://www.mymagicmud.com/
We are using this tooth powder a few times a week and it does clean your teeth great. It is strange to use the charcoal and can make a mess in the sink but the results are Impressive. Other days we use bar soap or baking soda. Make sure to rinse your mouth after OJ or coke, very important,!

paymanz

where is the resource of ray talking about that wheat germ?!

has he said how much of them he ate and for what nutrient?!he chewed them?

how can wheat germ make teeth look like that, specially frontal teeth!

Queequeg

@Queequeg for your consideration:
GLYCERIN AND REMINERALIZATION OF TEETH
This is written by a dentist but his argument is pretty solid. See what you think.

His most credible argument is that Dr. Judd doesn't provide any proof that glycerine blocks remineralization though it could also be argued that there is no proof that it doesn't. I also find several of his other claims to be somewhat disingenuous.
1) He attacks Dr. Judd for only being a chemist and not having a clinical background. Ad hominem attacks are usually a red flag of someone without facts to argue. Dr. Judd, being a PhD research chemist and professor is a positive for me and reminds me of someone else we both respect.
2) He states that if Dr. Judd's claims are true, "coating the teeth in glycerin would be a good thing if applied before eating and drinking acidic things." It could be that glycerine blocks minerals but cannot block acids. Also who brushes there teeth before eating.
3) He states "I do not see how it is possible for the glycerin to form an nice, thick, even coating on the teeth when so well mixed in a toothpaste mixture." If he did have a chemistry background like Dr. Judd he would be more familiar with a process called adsorption.
4) He claims that Dr. Judd doesn't recommend glycerine free soap to brush your teeth. Not true; he does.
5) He ends by saying "I can not trust his claims that go against main stream conventions" Does he mean main stream dental conventions like fluoride, mercury fillings and x-rays?

I still am not sure about the glycerine claim but I understand that toothpaste (even fluoride free) has other stuff in it that isn't so great for you.

Last edited:

Peater Piper

Regarding glycerine in toothpaste, I've used ordinary toothpaste for the past 15 years and haven't had a cavity, so I'm skeptical it completely stops remineralization.

My feeling regarding cavities is that, assuming micronutrients and metabolism aren't the issue, frequent snacking on acidic and/or carbohydrate rich foods (which bacteria will feed on and produce acid post-meal) are the biggest culprit, especially without a fatty or mineral rich buffer (such as milk), or without cleansing the palate afterward.

EIRE24

I don't know why, but Coke in a can will hurt my teeth and gums, but Coke in a glass bottle will not.

I drink and eat tonnes of sugar, and I've never had a cavity. I go through 3kg of supplementary white sugar a week, this in addition to gummy bears, fruit, etc.

I have a theory that the teeth cavities are caused by wheat. I think the wheat grows the bacteria in your gut, and changes the acidity of the saliva. My girlfriend always needed antacids after lunch or dinner, and developed persistent mucus on her tonsils, and got cavities when eating a high oat/bread/pasta diet, until she stopped eating these foods, now all of this is gone.
What does she eat now, instead of starches like oat, bread and pasta?

Atalanta

We are also conditioned to think everyone should have perfectly straight glowing white teeth due to media images but in real life that rarely exists in adults beyond middle age without the aid of bleaching or other cosmetic dentistry procedures.

Most people do not want a mouthful of brown, decayed teeth and that is why they have them removed. I know people with brown teeth and their breath is horrendous.

Dr Peat chooses to keep his decayed teeth. I know old people with teeth that are not brown. Many older people may have yellow teeth because the dentin is more exposed due to loss of enamel. Also, most older people lose their teeth because of gum disease, not decay.

When I was a teenager and during my 20s in college, I ate lots of wheat germ, oatmeal and bran (and soy) and I did not develop bad teeth like Dr Peat's. So I don't believe his claim that wheat germ ruined his teeth.

Dr Peat is now 80. How is it that decades of consuming a high calcium diet has not helped his teeth?

Also, what about the bacteria from decaying teeth? That can't be good for a person's health.

DaveFoster

Since I bought a Philips Sonicare and used Novamin toothpaste, my gums have stopped hurting.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Most people do not want a mouthful of brown, decayed teeth and that is why they have them removed. I know people with brown teeth and their breath is horrendous.

Dr Peat chooses to keep his decayed teeth. I know old people with teeth that are not brown. Many older people may have yellow teeth because the dentin is more exposed due to loss of enamel. Also, most older people lose their teeth because of gum disease, not decay.

When I was a teenager and during my 20s in college, I ate lots of wheat germ, oatmeal and bran (and soy) and I did not develop bad teeth like Dr Peat's. So I don't believe his claim that wheat germ ruined his teeth.

Dr Peat is now 80. How is it that decades of consuming a high calcium diet has not helped his teeth?

Also, what about the bacteria from decaying teeth? That can't be good for a person's health.

Do we know for certain he actually has decay? I personally do not know his oral health status and was speculating as stated in my post based on the appearance of his teeth from photographs and comparing that to the elderly people I've worked with IRL.

OP
encerent

encerent

Honestly I believe this is one of the few shortcomings with a pro-metabolic diet. Have you seen Dr. Peat's teeth? They are almost brown, and quite decayed, however he claims this was due to following a wheat germ diet for many years in his 30's. It is easily overcome however, if you rinse with baking soda and floss with prudence.

Eating large quanitites of sugar is great for supporting and vamping up the metabolism to beyond natural levels, and this is good. It improves maybe all factors in health and general well being. However, carbohydrates feed the bacteria in the mouth that release acid and acid breaks down enamel and causes tooth decay. A high functioning thyroid actually plays a significant role is regulating the saliva which prevents against tooth decay and supports enamel. However, as I've gathered from different stories, someitmes a high funcitoning thyroid isnt enough to keep the teeth free from cavities and sparkiling clean. So it is important to rinse your mouth with baking soda a few times a day, or to drink liquids through a straw.

Yes. I wish I was fully of aware of this before I started on this diet in earnest. It's quite easy to rinse after snacking on and drinking sugary things.

stokesman

I recently had a bout with some tooth pain when eating dried fruits or ice cream. The day after I first noticed it I came up with a mix of equal parts baking soda, dolemite powder, kelp powder and aspirin (veterinary pure ASA) and began swishing that (wetted with just my saliva) after meals. After just a few days of that, eating dried fruits no longer caused tooth pain. It was probably about a week or two later that I happened to eat some ice cream again and had no pain or sensitivity (ice cream had been more intensely painful than the dried fruit as I recall).

My idea for mixing those ingredients was partly because I remembered reading about how carbonic acid is supposedly the facilitator of remineralization in the teeth (something to do with it forming a relatively weak bond with a mineral and releasing it when encountering a receptive spot in the tooth structure). I figured that the CO2 produced from the aspirin and baking soda reacting may be able to end up as carbonic acid in the saliva and help deliver the minerals in the rest of the mix to the teeth. So while I have no idea about the validity of that little theory, the routine resolved my woe. I've kept up the routine and must say it feels like my teeth are stronger for it.

dbh25

I started using the Opa bar & Dr. Bronner's toothpaste, plus flossing every night. I've only had issues with existing fillings. I also get almost all sugar from fruit, honey and orange juice. (little table sugar or soda) I need to look into getting existing amalgams replaced.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals