Belly Bloat From Bad To Worse On A Peat Diet

Dean

You are right, unfortunately. I just got a big sack of beef gelatin and made four different things with it today. Hoping perhaps it can help with the gut healing among other things. Other than the gelatinous cuts of meat, are you doing anything with gelatin? I don't know if you could find beef gelatin in Thailand, but I found pork gelatine sheets at a little grocer in Kampot, Cambodia; so you might try making some fruit jello. (?)

jaa

Thailand has lots of healthy chicken feet!

I placed a bunch of orders from iHerb while living there, so you could always buy the Now Foods beef gelatin from iHerb.

OP
E

Edle

Dean said:
You are right, unfortunately. I just got a big sack of beef gelatin and made four different things with it today. Hoping perhaps it can help with the gut healing among other things. Other than the gelatinous cuts of meat, are you doing anything with gelatin? I don't know if you could find beef gelatin in Thailand, but I found pork gelatine sheets at a little grocer in Kampot, Cambodia; so you might try making some fruit jello. (?)

I like gelatinous bone/joint broth. It literally turns into jelly in the fridge, and I use it every weekday in my lunch. I have Great Lakes gelatin (red cans) also. Ordering from the US is not a problem for me (other than costing me $$$), as I have a consolidation mailbox in Torrance, CA. I mix a bit of Great Lakes Gelatin in my drink for long bike rides, to get some amino acids. I tried to make orange juice jello (adding extra syrup) with Great Lakes, but somehow I did not like it that much, or rather, mine did not turn out all that well. I always liked fruit jelly with vanilla sauce (whipping cream, whole milk, sugar, vanilla), but without it is a bit dull. Since you mention it, I will try making jelly again. There are gelatin in the shops locally - I will check it out more closely, as ordering from the US to Thailand is kind of silly.

jaa said:
Thailand has lots of healthy chicken feet!

I placed a bunch of orders from iHerb while living there, so you could always buy the Now Foods beef gelatin from iHerb.

Thanks for the input jaa! Indeed. I had some chicken feet last week actually. I quite like it - have no problem with it whatsoever. But then I eat fish eyes and other things most people detest. Would like to know a bit more about the contents of chicken feet - would it be beneficial to add them to my bone broth? When I eat them, I eat them "whole" - I have even fried them in butter.

Have ordered a few things from iHerb myself. Cheap and reliable, but somehow I am never happy with the products.

jaa

FWIW I have had good experiences with the powdered beef gelatin on iHerb.

RE chicken feet - apparently they are great for broth! Check out the bone broth and gelatin thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=190)

OP
E

Edle

Thanks jaa. You used the Now Foods, Beef Gelatin, Natural Powder, 5 lbs? I wonder if Great Lakes is really a lot better. It is certainly more expensive - I think 2 lbs is $45, while the 5 lbs Now Foods was $48, and the shipping of the Now Foods one will be much cheaper since iHerb ship directly to Thailand.

Thanks for the bone broth link. I will check it out. Looked at it briefly and someone said broth should not cook more than 3 hours. Very confusing. Will have to read the whole thread.

Swandattur

I'm pretty sure watermelon combined with baking soda could be a problem. My husband and brother in law one time ate watermelon and beer at the same time while moving furniture. Talk about bloating! Also, I would wonder about any starch such as the potato and taro. Since starch tends to feed gut bacteria, it could surely cause bloating. I know some fruit and vegetable fiber can cause bloating, too. I think the carrot salad would help with that, but still you wouldn't want to overdo the soluble fiber.

dietf***ed

Edle, It has been a while since your original post and I was wondering if you have had improvements with the bloating ? I think that adopting a Peat diet with milk, oj etc is not the best approach to solve this issue. After the bloating issue is solved and digestion is back to semi-normal, then adopting the Peat diet would make sense.

So the question is what is the temporary dietary fix that can help resolve bloating before commencing on a Peat diet? My stomach was the flattest on a raw foods diet - this of course leads to multiple issues later as I soon found out :shock:
So I am wondering if a raw foods diet with green smoothies and salads would be a good temporary approach to take. Once the bloating issues are resolved, then one can gradually move back into Peatarian mode.

OP
E

Edle

dietf***ed said:
Edle, It has been a while since your original post and I was wondering if you have had improvements with the bloating ? I think that adopting a Peat diet with milk, oj etc is not the best approach to solve this issue. After the bloating issue is solved and digestion is back to semi-normal, then adopting the Peat diet would make sense.

So the question is what is the temporary dietary fix that can help resolve bloating before commencing on a Peat diet? My stomach was the flattest on a raw foods diet - this of course leads to multiple issues later as I soon found out :shock:
So I am wondering if a raw foods diet with green smoothies and salads would be a good temporary approach to take. Once the bloating issues are resolved, then one can gradually move back into Peatarian mode.

Hi dietf***ed (!) Did not see the post until now, so apologies for my late response.

As to bloating improvement: none.

While on the Peat diet, I have tried the following: I tried to cut OJ - no change. I tried to cut bone broth for 10 days - no change. I tried to get more carbs from sugar (not fruit - but still a bit of fruit and OJ) for 10 days - no change. I have in the past cut starches for 2 months - no change. I have cut down on milk (cheese only) for 2 weeks - no change. I tried to add a tiny bit of sodium bicarbonate to the OJ for a week - but I did not notice any improvement, and I don´t want to do endurance training while I take it, so it is a bit impractical for me.

I am now trying flower of sulphur - very small pinch in the morning. I don´t notice any change. Will stop after 7 days.

I will try charcoal after - but try some probiotic after the sulphur (have tried it before with no improvement).

The thing is, when I first cut gluten and processed foods in May 2011, my bloating improved. From June 2011 I did a GAPS/autoimmune elimination protocol that really crushed me hormonally after 10 days. But my stomach was dead, dead flat. I went 10 days straight with 0 bloating.

The bloating came gradually back when I started the Perfect Health Diet just after, and then more than ever on a Peat diet from end November 2011. I will not go on an extreme diet again in an attempt to fix the bloating.

The bloating is still a "luxury" problem. My priority is to sleep well and get my thyroid and progesterone in order. But of course, everything is connected to everything.

Swandattur said:
I'm pretty sure watermelon combined with baking soda could be a problem. My husband and brother in law one time ate watermelon and beer at the same time while moving furniture. Talk about bloating! Also, I would wonder about any starch such as the potato and taro. Since starch tends to feed gut bacteria, it could surely cause bloating. I know some fruit and vegetable fiber can cause bloating, too. I think the carrot salad would help with that, but still you wouldn't want to overdo the soluble fiber.

Thank you Swandattur - sounds almost Islandic!

Yes, I did cut all potato and taro for 2 months. I ate absolutely no starches. But it did not help. I have cut watermelon now in periods, but maybe I can do it consistently for 3-4 weeks to see what happens.

Rayser

Hello, Edle - I would recommend not to use any probiotics. I have tried that for the same reason and it got worse and worse. I don't think more bacteria is the answer to your problem. In my case there were too many bacteria and therefore too much endotoxin. Both increases serotonin which increases bacteria growth. Have you ever tried anything anti-serotonin-ic?
Maybe you want to try the potato-juice as a time-limited therapy? Just juice peeled potatoes in a centrifugal juicer, let the starch settle on the bottom and use the juice without starch. Fry it in refined coconut oil for about 15 minutes until it's golden brown and use as much salt as you can before it tastes bad for you. You can use as many potatoes as you like and eat it as many times a day as you please. Since there are lots of calories in there you don't really need other food if you do this for a few days. I would recommend you try to go easy on the milk (lots of bacteria) for these few days.
If that's too much trouble and you don't have the time you might want to consider using cyproheptadine or ondansetron?
For me the potato "pudding" did the trick after about 3 years of looking a little pregnant.

OP
E

Edle

Rayser said:
Hello, Edle - I would recommend not to use any probiotics. I have tried that for the same reason and it got worse and worse. I don't think more bacteria is the answer to your problem. In my case there were too many bacteria and therefore too much endotoxin. Both increases serotonin which increases bacteria growth. Have you ever tried anything anti-serotonin-ic?
Maybe you want to try the potato-juice as a time-limited therapy? Just juice peeled potatoes in a centrifugal juicer, let the starch settle on the bottom and use the juice without starch. Fry it in refined coconut oil for about 15 minutes until it's golden brown and use as much salt as you can before it tastes bad for you. You can use as many potatoes as you like and eat it as many times a day as you please. Since there are lots of calories in there you don't really need other food if you do this for a few days. I would recommend you try to go easy on the milk (lots of bacteria) for these few days.
If that's too much trouble and you don't have the time you might want to consider using cyproheptadine or ondansetron?
For me the potato "pudding" did the trick after about 3 years of looking a little pregnant.

Hi Rayser - thank you very much for your input!

I am not sure if my problem is too much bacteria. Not that I would trust the Metametrix GI effects 100%, but when I took it December 2011 the results said insignificant levels of bad bacteria and parasites, and too low levels of "good" bacteria needed to digest food and nutrients. This was after I had used probiotics for some time, so obviously the probiotics did nothing for the "good" bacteria.

My problem is inflammation somehow, but I do not know what is causing it.

Yes, I know from experience that a very "simple" diet can work, but I will never go on a low carbohydrate diet again, not even for one day. I was probably low thyroid and excess estrogen before I went on the GAPS intro diet, but the symptoms were more subtle. After the GAPS it all collapsed, and I am still not the way I was before. As I understand the potato juice fried in coconut oil will give me high quality protein and fat, but not carbohydrates. So I would have to add carbohydrates from somewhere. But maybe it could be worth to try just with cane sugar syrup for one or two days.

Rayser

Actually - I know of several people who have problems with the "whole potato" because of the considerable amount of starch, even after cooking it for an hour. And some people have trouble with coconut oil which can't be digested easily if you have trouble with your liver.
I have seen people with severe cramps after meals (whatever it was) feeling better after the first time of fried potato juice.
But I totally agree that sugar is a good idea. I know of allergenic reactions to cane sugar sirup and bad reactions to honey. I have made good experiences with white sugar.

jyb

(deleted post to move it to the RPPPS potato juice thread)

Jenn

Everyone is different. Potatoes are the most bowel forming food. Sometimes our guts are just to up to them, I understand that.

We needed the french fries to provide concentrated nutrients and salt and NOT the extra water. (And we needed it to taste good.) Coconut oil in a fry is easier to digest than coconut oil in a soup or something...not sure why.

I know a lady who's granddaughter was born with her stomach not connected to her intestines. Ronnie had her make the potato juice and feed it through her feeding tube. Worked great and stimulated BM.

HDD

That is amazing! Wow! I am sure the mother of the child is thankful.

Rayser

What a story! How is the child now?

I made the french fries in coconut oil for a lot of children until I noticed that most of them started to ... well they stank terribly. Lots of gas suddenly filled the not very large rooms. It didn't even smell human anymore. We had to get outside in a hurry. I have heard from old people (more than 80 years old) that they had the same problem with the coco-french-fries.
Maybe it's the very large amount in french fries. I always add coconut oil to every food and usually it makes the kids more active, less aggressive and more fun.

Jenn

I think she's about 6 years old.

Personal experience for me and my son, if it starts to smell, it usually means the person has been backed up previously and the potatoes start it moving again. The are VERY bowel forming and a lot people's intestines are not as active as they should be. It's possible to eliminate every day, but not all of it and/or not in a good time frame. It's supposed to be about 24 hours transit time.

Rayser

Jenn said:
I think she's about 6 years old.

That's great!

Jenn said:
Personal experience for me and my son, if it starts to smell, it usually means the person has been backed up previously and the potatoes start it moving again. The are VERY bowel forming and a lot people's intestines are not as active as they should be. It's possible to eliminate every day, but not all of it and/or not in a good time frame. It's supposed to be about 24 hours transit time.

I'm sorry - I'm not familiar with the term "bowel forming".

May I ask for the source of the "24 hours transit time"?
I tried to find information on "normal" frequency of bowel movement but never got anything really convincing.

Swandattur

On the kickAS site for ankylosing spondylitis, they have a diet intended to not feed H pylori. It is low starch or no starch depending on the individual, but I thought it was interesting that dairy is sometimes a problem food. I read either on the kickAS site or elsewhere that dairy can be an alternate food for H. pylori. Just thinking that maybe dairy could cause a problem.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals