Ray Peat Diet Causes Cavities?

sladerunner69

But if you compare his teeth to other people around the age of 80 I speculate he is doing better than most especially since he still has most of them.

We are also conditioned to think everyone should have perfectly straight glowing white teeth due to media images but in real life that rarely exists in adults beyond middle age without the aid of bleaching or other cosmetic dentistry procedures.

I suppose that's true. Perhaps I am holding him to an unrealistic standard of eternal perfect health.

stokesman

great post: why kelp, and why dolemite tho'? Could one get on without these?
Dolomite for the calcium and magnesium, kelp just to provide some other minerals (added bonus: it tastes gross and therefore builds character).

As for getting on without them, I'd bet just using baking soda to rinse after meals goes a long way in preventing decay.

Last edited:

chispas

What does she eat now, instead of starches like oat, bread and pasta?

Only sourdough bread without any additives or soy, max one slice a day.

She likes potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice. She likes rice crackers and puffed rice for a snack with yoghurt or milk and fruit.

We also used to sleep a lot in the afternoons because we were vegetarian and had hardly any protein. The bad old days.

schultz

I suppose that's true. Perhaps I am holding him to an unrealistic standard of eternal perfect health.

Haha, he didn't come out of the womb eating a Peat diet. A lot of us on the forum have made the switch to his diet earlier than he did.

EIRE24

Only sourdough bread without any additives or soy, max one slice a day.

She likes potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice. She likes rice crackers and puffed rice for a snack with yoghurt or milk and fruit.

We also used to sleep a lot in the afternoons because we were vegetarian and had hardly any protein. The bad old days.
Sounds like decent carb sources. I'm guessing most of your protein comes from dairy sources?

sladerunner69

Haha, he didn't come out of the womb eating a Peat diet. A lot of us on the forum have made the switch to his diet earlier than he did.

Well good news is I started peating at age 20, so I will be looking and feeling 20 years old for an eternity. Ray Peat might be really brainy when it comes to biochemisty, but he ain't so smart when it comes to common sense... he shouldn't have waited til 70 to start peating!! who wants to be 70 for an eternity...

EIRE24

Well good news is I started peating at age 20, so I will be looking and feeling 20 years old for an eternity. Ray Peat might be really brainy when it comes to biochemisty, but he ain't so smart when it comes to common sense... he shouldn't have waited til 70 to start peating!! who wants to be 70 for an eternity...
So I'm guessing your diet and lifestyle is everything that peat reccomends?

sladerunner69

So I'm guessing your diet and lifestyle is everything that peat reccomends?

Well yes. For the most part. I have done a great deal of self-experimentation, as all should, and am now using a lot of supplements as well. Peat generally does not recommend supplements for purity concerns.

EIRE24

Well yes. For the most part. I have done a great deal of self-experimentation, as all should, and am now using a lot of supplements as well. Peat generally does not recommend supplements for purity concerns.
So what does a days eating look like for you? And what supplements do you use?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ray Peat might be really brainy when it comes to biochemisty, but he ain't so smart when it comes to common sense... he shouldn't have waited til 70 to start peating!!
He did his dissertation in 1972 so I believe he was probably doing some of the things we think of as "peating" at least by his mind to late thirties and IIRC his pregnenolone experiment was sometime in his forties. Maybe someone who knows more will chime in but he definitely wasn't following something like the SAD until the age of 70. I think his life's work has been a gradual unfolding but definitely his dietary and hormone ideas go back over about 40+ years.

moss

He did his dissertation in 1972 so I believe he was probably doing some of the things we think of as "peating" at least by his mind to late thirties and IIRC his pregnenolone experiment was sometime in his forties. Maybe someone who knows more will chime in but he definitely wasn't following something like the SAD until the age of 70. I think his life's work has been a gradual unfolding but definitely his dietary and hormone ideas go back over about 40+ years.

That is my understanding as well.
Here is his dissertation.

Attachments

• DOC032612-001-1.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 73

schultz

I think Slade was just making a joke of sorts. :eek:

chispas

Sounds like decent carb sources. I'm guessing most of your protein comes from dairy sources?

Um, there's a majority from dairy. Milk, yogurt, cheese. I don't eat yogurt. The rest is lamb or chicken, two servings a day, lunch and dinner, and supplementary glycine.

Travis

Last edited:

cdg

I've been doing the standard high sugar Ray Peat diet (including soda and candy from time to time semi-often) for about 10 months now. Yesterday I had a checkup, and the dentist said I have 2 cavities. During this time I've also stopped brushing with fluoride and have been brushing with coconut oil and also rinsing with coconut oil.

For now I'll probably have to get fillings. I think I'm going to start chewing xylitol gum between meals and/or rinse with coconut oil between meals and snacks :(.

Anyone have the same problem? Or, does anyone not have this problem despite eating a lot of sugary Ray Peat inspired foods and drinks and eating often throughout the day?

Other than some bad advice regarding the use of fluoride, which I definitely not recommend you could try the self-care system in "Kiss your Dentist Goodbye"

Wagner83

Since I've added alot more fruits to my diet 1-2 weeks ago, I can safely say that my teeth feel like they have degraded more than in the years before . I do try to rinse my mouth thoroughly after eating the fruits, sometimes I can't.

I'm happy to say that I kept going, added quite a bit (1-2 liters a day) of lactose free milk again (1.5%), I often take it along with fruits/rinse my mouth with it after eating fruits, and my teeth feel fine again. Now wether they are fine or not is an other story, but no pain any more. I don't drink lots of juices .

Regina

Woot! Just had my first dental exam since full-on Peating. Got a perfect score. Cleaning was a snap. No bleeding; no tender areas. Hygienist and Dentist said no inflammation and gums looked wonderful. She said she saw no reason to update my x-rays. Phew. Dentist said, "Now, you're a vegan right?" I said, "uh, no?" She said, "But you won't touch sugar or dairy though right?" ................
:rofl