Ray Peat Diet Causes Cavities?

Ahanu

Woot! Just had my first dental exam since full-on Peating. Got a perfect score. Cleaning was a snap. No bleeding; no tender areas. Hygienist and Dentist said no inflammation and gums looked wonderful. She said she saw no reason to update my x-rays. Phew.
:): same by me. Since peating i have perfect teeth.

Orion

Woot! Just had my first dental exam since full-on Peating. Got a perfect score. Cleaning was a snap. No bleeding; no tender areas. Hygienist and Dentist said no inflammation and gums looked wonderful. She said she saw no reason to update my x-rays. Phew. Dentist said, "Now, you're a vegan right?" I said, "uh, no?" She said, "But you won't touch sugar or dairy though right?" ................
:rofl

What toothpaste are you using?

Regina

What toothpaste are you using?
I use Trader Joe's (fluoride free) fennel, propolis and myrrh.
Cheap too!

But I think it's more the Vitamin K2 and various Peaty stuff.
For example, I just finished training and wolfed down a shrimp and rice dish and OJ afterwards.
My teeth feel completely smooth.
Back in the day, I would have felt desperate to want to brush my teeth after training--thinking my breath was awful.
And the rice dish might've left something like residue. There just isn't anything. My tongue against the back of my bottom teeth? Nothing.

ilovethesea

I've been eating this way for 3 years and just had 2 cavities filled. But they are baby teeth and the space was very tight, so probably inevitable and not diet-related.

I also got my teeth "cleaned" for the 1st time in 4 years but she didn't really do anything as I had zero plaque. I am 100% sure this is from taking K2 for many months, as that never happened before. I also take A, D and E and I brush my teeth with baking soda.

I was told I have a mild teeth grinding problem which I understand is related to gut bacteria. I struggle with a lot of food sensitivities/allergies so maybe poor saliva quality contributed to the cavities as well.

cdg

I use Trader Joe's (fluoride free) fennel, propolis and myrrh.
Cheap too!

But I think it's more the Vitamin K2 and various Peaty stuff.
For example, I just finished training and wolfed down a shrimp and rice dish and OJ afterwards.
My teeth feel completely smooth.
Back in the day, I would have felt desperate to want to brush my teeth after training--thinking my breath was awful.
And the rice dish might've left something like residue. There just isn't anything. My tongue against the back of my bottom teeth? Nothing.

Unfortunately, it has glycerin and carrageenan.
Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Water, Glycerin, Xylitol, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Oil, Commiphora Myrrha (Myrrh) Resin, Hydricated Silica, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Propolis Wax, Metha Piperita (Pepermint) Oil.

tara

Dentist said, "Now, you're a vegan right?" I said, "uh, no?" She said, "But you won't touch sugar or dairy though right?" ................
:rofl
:lol:

Regina

Unfortunately, it has glycerin and carrageenan.
Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Water, Glycerin, Xylitol, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Oil, Commiphora Myrrha (Myrrh) Resin, Hydricated Silica, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Propolis Wax, Metha Piperita (Pepermint) Oil.
Duh-oh!!! Dang-it. I may have to roll my own.
Thx though.

Ukall

And if you do happen to swallow a pea sized amount the tubes recommend you should call poison control immediately.
Damn... I am speechless.
When I was young, I used to swallow the toothpaste after brushing my teeth because it tasted good...
When I read some experts saying to use Olive Oil or CO to brush children teeth, now I can understand why.
Do you think the body can flush it out after passing so many years? I wonder if some of my health problems (especially mental) start appearing after this... but I was too young, so I can't really remember...

I also broke a thermometer with mercury and start playing with it with my hands... can't really remember if I have put it in my mouth because that's what children do, but if skin can absorb mercury, well, rip...

OP
encerent

encerent

Update: I started brushing with a flouride and potassium nitrate tootpaste. I know, it's not natural nor is it optimal in this pro-metabolic lifestyle. It has worked to remineralize my teeth though. Now I think i can stop and I'll just make sure to rinse after sugary snacks with my baking soda and salt water.

Queequeg

Damn... I am speechless.
When I was young, I used to swallow the toothpaste after brushing my teeth because it tasted good...
When I read some experts saying to use Olive Oil or CO to brush children teeth, now I can understand why.
Do you think the body can flush it out after passing so many years? I wonder if some of my health problems (especially mental) start appearing after this... but I was too young, so I can't really remember...

I also broke a thermometer with mercury and start playing with it with my hands... can't really remember if I have put it in my mouth because that's what children do, but if skin can absorb mercury, well, rip...
That made me cringe just reading that. There are lots of detox protocols online. Google flouride/mercury detox. Infrared saunas are supposed to be the safest way to detox.

Xisca

Yesterday I had a checkup, and the dentist said I have 2 cavities.
Lucky you, I have something like 8 with some teeth having 2.
All this in 1 year.
With any diet anyway... who has super good teeth?
At 18 only I had my 1st cavity. I was high on fructose after having been found sugar in urine.
When I stopped using fructose, all went better during years. And suddenly all this!!!!!!!!! Of course I was very ill last summer and fatigue...

sele

I just wanted to share my experience.
My periodontist said I needed gum surgery or my teeth wouldn't last six months. This was before peating.
Several years have past and I still have my teeth and they're stronger then ever. No more gum infections or cavities or bad breath. Just got a perfect score from my recent dental checkup.
Funny thing: my dentist doesn't even know that I threw away my Listerine and I don't use toothpaste anymore. I brush with baking soda or activated charcoal. I still eat and drink a lot of sugary foods.
Cavities are a result of high PTH, not sugar.
Sugar just raises metabolism and unmasks the already existing issue of PTH.

tomisonbottom

My periodontist said I needed gum surgery or my teeth wouldn't last six months. This was before peating.
Several years have past and I still have my teeth and they're stronger then ever. No more gum infections or cavities or bad breath. Just got a perfect score from my recent dental checkup.
Funny thing: my dentist doesn't even know that I threw away my Listerine and I don't use toothpaste anymore. I brush with baking soda or activated charcoal. I still eat and drink a lot of sugary foods.

That's awesome. What does your diet look like, and how long before you saw improvements?

jitsmonkey

^^^^this is 100%
Sugar does NOT cause teeth to decay
No different than Aspirin does not cause Nitric Oxide increase and Thyroid Supps don't cause adrenaline increase.
In the absence of the necessary raw materials...
increasing metabolism EXPOSES the shortfall of raw materials on board.
Fill the short comings... no problem.

Prosper

In the absence of the necessary raw materials...
increasing metabolism EXPOSES the shortfall of raw materials on board.
Fill the short comings... no problem.
This seems a backwards approach in my opinion. Why is metabolism slow in the first place? For the very same reason: shortage of raw materials. In this way, lowered metabolism is a safeguard ensuring that imbalances don't get out of hand. When raw materials are abundant, metabolism is allowed to accelerate on its own. Trying to circumvent your unique metabolic bottlenecks by forcing the thyroid to work harder seems similar to going to highway with the handbrake on and first trying to compensate by pushing harder on the gas pedal.

jitsmonkey

This seems a backwards approach in my opinion. Why is metabolism slow in the first place? For the very same reason: shortage of raw materials. In this way, lowered metabolism is a safeguard ensuring that imbalances don't get out of hand. When raw materials are abundant, metabolism is allowed to accelerate on its own. Trying to circumvent your unique metabolic bottlenecks by forcing the thyroid to work harder seems similar to going to highway with the handbrake on and first trying to compensate by pushing harder on the gas pedal.

You make too many assumptions.
What I posted is not an "approach" nor a "recommendation"
Its simply an understanding of how these substances work
And no different than if you stick a power drill in your eye it will cause harm
If you don't stick a power drill in your eye but instead use it as intended it is completely safe to use.
If you stab yourself in the eye with a power drill its not because the drill is unsafe.
Its a powerful tool and if used recklessly or ignorantly... YES it will hurt you.

"lowered metabolism is a safeguard ensuring that imbalances don't get out of hand" this I agree with whole heartedly
"Trying to circumvent your unique metabolic bottlenecks by forcing the thyroid to work harder" this is your assumption. Nobody is recommending this.

Things that improve metabolism including sugar including pretty much anything that either provides fuel
or requires other raw materials CAN produce a negative outcome without said materials.
IF that negative does show up, the intelligent response is not to find "blame" for the substance but simply observe the shortfall and fill it.

nobody is suggesting eat sugar to increase metabolism so you run out of raw materials, ruin your teeth and then back track and fill the shortfal.
nobody is suggesting take thyroid to increase metabolism so your run out of fuel or other raw materials and raise adrenaline and back track and fill the shortfall.

The point simply is these substances require raw materials to provide the benefit desired.
If one does not understand what those raw materials are they should NOT be using the substances noted.

The vast majority of issues you see people on this forum and elsewhere run into regarding sugar, thyroid, aspirin, etc...
is simply a failure to provide the raw materials needed. However that points to an even more gross negligence which is
with or without these "aids" you still need the raw materials ie. ample fuel, fat soluble vitamins, b vitamins, etc......
but its clear that many are not focused enough of the basics.

In practice not in a vacuum its certainly not a straight line
but in concept its actually quite simple
a) provide the raw material basics ie. ample fuel, fat soluble vitamins, other micro nutrients at least at the basic level and see how you do
b) add support to that ie. aspirin, thyroid, caffeine, whatever.... and see how you do
c) adjust a or b accordingly
d) people with the most severe forms of maladaptation, pathology, etc... will likely find many detours along a, b, c