Is Rendering (fat) An Unhealthy Method?

@Logan- I like the sweetness I get from the caramelized onions, so you could try a little sugar in yours, and then make a batch without, or add some raisins, or you could make it Mexican style with chocolate and chili powder, the sky is the limit with something like this.

OP
L

Logan-

@Logan- I like the sweetness I get from the caramelized onions, so you could try a little sugar in yours, and then make a batch without, or add some raisins, or you could make it Mexican style with chocolate and chili powder, the sky is the limit with something like this.
I can do sugar, that’s a good idea as well. I used to always make liver with onions before my food intolerances, but sugar may work well too for this recipe.

OP
L

Logan-

I am anxious to hear how yours turns out!
It will be some time before I source a beef liver fresh enough to buy. It should have dark, almost like a bluish/blackish colour to it. Any tone of brown is not good. Dark red may be okay.

If I remember to try this, I’ll let you know abut it. I intend to do it. First I will try the pate without anything added, just liver, salt, and deodorised coconut oil. Then I may experiment with thyme and mushrooms and sugar.

Tallow is fairly safe and resistant fat to oxidation. You're probably okay, grassfed tallow also has elevated levels of CLA and stearic acid which both help to protect against PUFA in the diet. The only problem with tallow (and butter) is that it can cause weight gain much easier then coconut oil. I don't think they have the antimicrobial effects coconut oil has either.
Here is the other side of that coin…

1701536633357.jpeg

OP
L

Logan-

I don’t know if you knew this @Rinse & rePeat, but if you marinate chicken wings and other delicious parts of the chicken by using a mixture of 1) fermented yoghurt, 2) a sauce you make in a pan with tomato paste, some skinned and cut tomatoes, red pepper paste, cut-up garlic, EVOO, salt, thyme, some red and black pepper, cumin etc.; Mix the yoghurt, sauce and chickens well; use your hands. Let this whole mixture of yoghurt and sauce and chicken wings sit in a preferably airtight container in your fridge for at least a day. Later wash the marinate off the chicken, use the oven to cook them. It makes them taste very good. I used to do this when I could tolerate those ingredients, and it makes the chicken very delicious. Well worth the effort and time.

Edit: don’t mix yoghurt with the sauce when the sauce is still hot, since sudden high temp can “cut” yoghurt. Let the sauce cool first.

Last edited:
I don’t know if you knew this @Rinse & rePeat, but if you marinate chicken wings and other delicious parts of the chicken by using a mixture of 1) fermented yoghurt, 2) a sauce you make in a pan with tomato paste, some skinned and cut tomatoes, red pepper paste, cut-up garlic, EVOO, salt, thyme, some red and black pepper, cumin etc.; Mix the yoghurt, sauce and chickens well; use your hands. Let this whole mixture of yoghurt and sauce and chicken wings sit in a preferably airtight container in your fridge for at least a day. Later wash the marinate off the chicken, use the oven to cook them. It makes them taste very good. I used to do this when I could tolerate those ingredients, and it makes the chicken very delicious. Well worth the effort and time.

Edit: don’t mix yoghurt with the sauce when the sauce is still hot, since sudden high temp can “cut” yoghurt. Let the sauce cool first.
It does sound delicious Logan! I avoid the PUFA fat in chicken, so I boil out the fat, like in my wings, for about 25 minutes and then broil them with butter. Here is my thread on the subject with many different ways I change up my wings. I am thinking I am going to try this method with chicken thighs, and then marinate them, like with your yogurt idea…

OP
L

Logan-

It does sound delicious Logan! I avoid the PUFA fat in chicken, so I boil out the fat, like in my wings, for about 25 minutes and then broil them with butter. Here is my thread on the subject with many different ways I change up my wings. I am thinking I am going to try this method with chicken thighs, and then marinate them, like with your yogurt idea…

I only buy organic, free ranged chickens’ wings, which I think have a better fat profile than “industrial” chicken; surely it has some pufa, but I don’t care about it. Although at one point in the past I was shocked when I heard RP liking and eating chicken wings.

I still grin at this picture:

2v9grk.jpg

I only buy organic, free ranged chickens’ wings, which I think have a better fat profile than “industrial” chicken; surely it has some pufa, but I don’t care about it. Although at one point in the past I was shocked when I heard RP liking and eating chicken wings.

I still grin at this picture:

2v9grk.jpg
It is not about pastured for me it is more about eating corn soy free things. I won’t eat ANY eggs unless they are corn and soy free. I only eat the chicken wings for the skin, aka gelatin source, otherwise I don’t eat chicken.

OP
L

Logan-

@Logan- As to your question, in the other thread, on how I make my “famous liver pate”, here is my recipe, which I have not posted in my recipe thread yet. I agree with you that you can’t cook liver too much or it ruins not only the nutrition, but the mild flavor of it too. I start by soaking the liver in milk to soften the flavor and get some of the iron and blood out. Then I do a quick minute or so sear on each side, on medium high heat, and set it aside. I then sauté onions with a little salt and let them caramelize, to sweeten them, then put the liver and onions together in a blender, add in herbs like savory or herbs de Provence and some salt, blend it until smooth and scrape the mixture into a glass dish and refrigerate, then slice it. I have added sautéed mushrooms to this, which is so good, and stretches the recipe so I can eat more of it without overdoing the copper. I have also added a little sautéed bacon to it, when I was first developing this recipe, and it was delicious too. I rarely eat pork, but bacon is tasty!

View attachment 58830
View attachment 58831

View attachment 58832
View attachment 58833
View attachment 58835
View attachment 58836
View attachment 58837
You were on my mind today. My guy butchered quite a lot of animals today, I bought liver and 4 full heads from him. There was a part of spleen attached to the liver, I cooked the liver and spleen all with the animals’ own fat. About 700 grams of liver and spleen. Ate the spleen, it was a true delicacy. I overcooked the liver on purpose, because I wanted to make pate today, a-la-@Rinse & rePeat and I didn’t want to take any risks. I added the salt when cooking them.

First, rendering the fat:

IMG_4737.jpeg
IMG_4738.jpeg

Cooking the liver and spleen:
IMG_4740.jpeg

IMG_4742.jpeg
IMG_4745.jpeg
IMG_4746.jpeg
IMG_4747.jpeg

Here comes the somewhat tricky part. I added half of the liver into the blender, and some of the fat that I used to cook it, but since this was so dry, the machine couldn’t blend it. So I poured all of the fat, plus good amount of organic EVOO into the blender, that did the trick.

IMG_4748.jpeg

IMG_4749.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

Continuing from above:

Tasted it, liked it a lot, so I decided to add the rest of the liver, again some EVOO, blend it.
IMG_4750.jpeg
IMG_4751.jpeg

Divided this equally into four different cups, put the three of them into my freezer to eat later.

The key is adjusting the oil. The first time, by sheer luck, it was perfect, the second time I added a bit too much but not a problem.

You were on my mind today. My guy butchered quite a lot of animals today, I bought liver and 4 full heads from him. There was a part of spleen attached to liver, I cooked them all in the animals’ own fat. About 700 grams of liver and spleen. Ate the spleen, it was a true delicacy. I overcooked the liver on purpose, because I wanted to make pate today, a-la-@Rinse & rePeat and I didn’t want to take any risks. I added the salt when cooking them.

First, rendering the fat:

View attachment 59207View attachment 59208

Cooking the liver and spleen:
View attachment 59220
View attachment 59210View attachment 59210View attachment 59212View attachment 59213View attachment 59214

Here comes the somewhat tricky part. I added half of the liver into the blender, and some of the fat that I used to cook it, but since this was so dry, the machine couldn’t blend it. So I poured all of the fat, plus good amount of organic EVOO into the blender, that did the trick.

View attachment 59215
View attachment 59216
This is great to see @Logan- ! I usually add a little grass fed cream to help blend my pate. Did you refrigerate and slice it yet? Did you add any herbs?

Continuing from above:

Tasted it, liked it a lot, so I decided to add the rest of the liver, again some EVOO, blend it.
View attachment 59222View attachment 59223

Divided this equally into four different cups, put the three of them into my freezer to eat later.

The key is adjusting the oil. The first time, by sheer luck, it was perfect, the second time I added a bit too much but not a problem.
That’s it, I am going to get some liver and make some pate, I am remembering the taste right now!

OP
L

Logan-

Did you refrigerate and slice it yet?
Girl you are full of good ideas. I didn’t think about it at all, didn’t know that. I will do it.

I am dairy free so I can’t consume cream. I considered adding thyme to it, but thyme is a tricky herb. It takes experience to know how much would be good to add on a particular meat, since this is my first time, I didn’t want to risk the taste.

That’s it, I am going to get some liver and make some pate, I am remembering the taste right now!
lol :)

Girl you are full of good ideas. I didn’t think about it at all, didn’t know that. I will do it.

I am dairy free so I can’t consume cream. I considered adding thyme to it, but thyme is a tricky herb. It takes experience to know how much would be good to add on a particular meat, since this is my first time, I didn’t want to risk the taste.

lol :)
I like dried summer savory or herbs de Provence in my liver pate. You could sauté in some finely sliced apples too, for a different sweeter flavor. I haven’t tried that yet, but it sounds nice.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals