Questions On: Protein Later In The Day. Caffeine And Calcium

Lately I have a tendency to crave protein later in the day, typically for lunch and dinner. In the morning I have generally been feeling alright just with coffee, sugar, and fat. In general solid foods are more appealing to me later in the day.

I want to know if there is anything unhealthy about getting little to no protein for the first half of the day.

I would also like to know if there is a risk of getting too little calcium at the start of the day, as I am consuming several cups of coffee, which I have read may deplete calcium. I tend to get all of my calcium later with lunch and dinner.

My typical morning looks like (9 am to 1pm)
b vitamins, 1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups coffee, with 6 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons coconut oil: 500 calories

By the end of the day I am getting the proper amount of calories and macros and minerals and vitamins.

If I took a calcium carbonate pill with just sugar and fat, would it be assimilated or does it need protein? I see it is suggested to be taken with food for best absorption, would taking it with coconut oil / sugar / coffee help me from getting osteoporosis?

I don't drink milk, as it tends to make me feel sleepy, and also gives me mucus / indigestion. Also I am confused about the benefits of milk, as the quantity of phosphorous in milk is almost on par with the calcium level... so I am unclear on how that can be a particularly good source of calcium if the ratio of calcum and phos is so important...

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Vinero

So basically your breakfast is coconut oil with sugar? Thats not a good breakfast as it lacks protein, vitamins and minerals.
You run the risk of supressing your thyroid if you don't feed your body a complete meal.
Protein is a good food especially to have early in the day, since it stimulates digestive processes.
The stimulated digestion of a good breakfast will benefit you in the next meals as well.

OP
Captain_Coconut
@Vinero
Sometimes I will have a more full breakfast, but energetically I end up feeling a little sub-par compared to when my mornings are basically just coffee, coconut oil, salt, and b vitamins.

If I go just off of my cravings, then my appetite has been directing me to save proteins for later in the day... maybe it is just ingrained in me from the days of intermittent fasting.

Interestingly, I read just recently that people with kidney issues are encouraged to avoid protein for breakfast... maybe my kidneys are trying to tell me something....

Vinero

@Vinero
Sometimes I will have a more full breakfast, but energetically I end up feeling a little sub-par compared to when my mornings are basically just coffee, coconut oil, salt, and b vitamins.

If I go just off of my cravings, then my appetite has been directing me to save proteins for later in the day... maybe it is just ingrained in me from the days of intermittent fasting.

Interestingly, I read just recently that people with kidney issues are encouraged to avoid protein for breakfast... maybe my kidneys are trying to tell me something....
I also experience craving for solid protein foods later in the day.
When waking up its difficult for me to eat solid protein like cheese or meat or something like that.
Thats why I drink milk when I wake up, and then a few hours later eat a large meal with solid protein and carbs.

OP
Captain_Coconut
Bump

Vinero

What are you calcium sources if you dont drink milk?
I have experimented with going completely dairy free and I get depressed and anxious after about 3 days of no calcium.
Getting at least some milk or cheese every few days is enough for me to not get calcium deficiency symptoms.

OP
Captain_Coconut
What are you calcium sources if you dont drink milk?
I have experimented with going completely dairy free and I get depressed and anxious after about 3 days of no calcium.
Getting at least some milk or cheese every few days is enough for me to not get calcium deficiency symptoms.

Mainly cheese, egg shell calcium, and greens like collards / broccoli.

Vinero

Mainly cheese, egg shell calcium, and greens like collards / broccoli.
Thats good. Calcium is important to keep prolactin and PTH low.
You dont really notice the effect of calcium if you get enough everyday.
Try cutting out all calcium sources for a few days and see how sluggish and depressed you get.
Calcium is definitely important to keep prolactin and other stress hormones low.

nad

Hi forum,
I was so happy to find this topic "caffeine and calcium" because in years couldn't find the answer - is caffeine blocks absorption of calcium like it does for iron?!?! If so, when I have coffee w/milk, coffee w/cheese (my favorite), coffee after the meal, I have only proteins from dairy and Ca just waste?
Nobody responded by here also!
I'm so confused.:banghead:
If everybody knows & sure and I'm just stooped & dark - please, please, please! let me know also..

Jsaute21

I also experience craving for solid protein foods later in the day.
When waking up its difficult for me to eat solid protein like cheese or meat or something like that.
Thats why I drink milk when I wake up, and then a few hours later eat a large meal with solid protein and carbs.
Do you consume coffee with your first meal?

nad

Hi forum,
I was so happy to find this topic "caffeine and calcium" because in years couldn't find the answer - is caffeine blocks absorption of calcium like it does for iron?!?! If so, when I have coffee w/milk, coffee w/cheese (my favorite), coffee after the meal, I have only proteins from dairy and Ca just waste?
Nobody responded by here also!
I'm so confused.:banghead:
If everybody knows & sure and I'm just stupid & dark - please, please, please! let me know also..
@haidut ?

haidut

Forum Supporter

tara

I think Peat has suggested not having too much protein after dark.

If you fill your belly up with a big task just before sleep, it may reduce the restfulness of sleep.

I don't know whether you need a lot of protein at breakfast, but I imagine at least a little would be good to keep it somewhat balanced.

Personally, I seem to do better if I eat my largest meal and my largest amount of protein somewhere between 11:00 - 1:30ish.
I seem to digest and make better use of it then. I think this might be quite common.

But I also need some supper to be able sleep through the night, and do want a little protein with my carbs at breakfast.

nad

I think Peat has suggested not having too much protein after dark.

If you fill your belly up with a big task just before sleep, it may reduce the restfulness of sleep.

I have severe insomnia trying probably everything, trying keeping track to catch the reason, no luck. My body is way too sensitive, unusual, unbalanced, funny & scary, different every minute from cold to hot, wet to dry,
heart from bumping to STOP:inpain:, etc. etc. etc.
Trying to fix it w/Peating 2 years now. (sleeping getting much worse) But more then 60 years of heavy PUFA consumption not so easy to fix, my body stuffed w/it. I know it needs 2 more years probably, sometimes despair, loosing hope, but not yet .
Sorry about those details, my point is that I was reading somewhere here from somebody gelatin/a lot, 1-2 tbsp/ at night help w/sleep.
I tried 1 tbsp w/glass of milk & syrup, steel warm, at 1 a.m. after two hours toss & turns = 2 more hours no sleep, then turn off for an hour. But sometimes jello helps or ice cream, or cheese , but waking every 1-1,5 hours anyway. Salted OJ ALWAYS beside my bed. Again - sometimes - it helps.

tara

Trying to fix it w/Peating 2 years now. (sleeping getting much worse)
That's not a good sign - something probably in the wrong direction for you?

Have you read the various threads with suggestions for sleep?
Some of my personal ones include:
- Make sure I'm not too hot in bed (but that feet are warm enough to fall asleep at night).
- Eat enough carbs to sustain blood sugar. Usu that means having enough through the day and a little supper. Keep small snack by bed in case of waking, and eat with as little disturbance as possible if needed in night (seldom happens these days).
- Including some starch in diet along with sweet carbs seems to work better for me.
- Drink enough water. Without this I can wake up with pounding heart.
- Get sunlight during the day - preferably with a gentle walk or similar.
- Chin strap or tape to support nasal breathing through night. Other tactics to improve breathing habits.
- Do something relaxing practice at bed time - whatever that is for you.

Good luck

nad

That's not a good sign - something probably in the wrong direction for you?

Have you read the various threads with suggestions for sleep?
Some of my personal ones include:
- Make sure I'm not too hot in bed (but that feet are warm enough to fall asleep at night).
- Eat enough carbs to sustain blood sugar. Usu that means having enough through the day and a little supper. Keep small snack by bed in case of waking, and eat with as little disturbance as possible if needed in night (seldom happens these days).
- Including some starch in diet along with sweet carbs seems to work better for me.
- Drink enough water. Without this I can wake up with pounding heart.
- Get sunlight during the day - preferably with a gentle walk or similar.
- Chin strap or tape to support nasal breathing through night. Other tactics to improve breathing habits.
- Do something relaxing practice at bed time - whatever that is for you.

Good luck
I know, I know, I feel that something wrong, but what?!
Oh dear Tara, thank you for respond, but if you could just know what those ''etc., etc., etc." mean!

Yes I'm doing this all and 1000 else, but...,
like getting on & off socks dozen times, and blanket, and RLS & whole body syndrome:vamp:, and stopping heart every 3-5 second, sometimes for few hours or days, (pregnenolone & thyroid do not help), only the list will make you tired.
But your list give me the hope that I'm on the right road. thank you

Arrade

I don't have the evidence but I'm not convinced coffee doesn't mess with calcium absorption. And I drink a lot of milk

nad

I don't have the evidence but I'm not convinced coffee doesn't mess with calcium absorption. And I drink a lot of milk
Sorry, didn't get it - not convinced of what? Sorry, English is my second language, but I want to understand your opinion.
So, you think it's OK to mix Ca w/coffee or not?
And you drink a lot of milk, but do you drink also a lot of coffee? and do you mix it?
Thank you

Arrade

Sorry, didn't get it - not convinced of what? Sorry, English is my second language, but I want to understand your opinion.
So, you think it's OK to mix Ca w/coffee or not?
And you drink a lot of milk, but do you drink also a lot of coffee? and do you mix it?
Thank you
Oh sorry.
I meant that study saying "not drinking milk is the reason coffee causes calcium loss in bones" is pretty shaky (not confidence building).
I drink a lot of whole milk.

In short, I'm unsure but currently leaning to coffee not mixing with calcium

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals