FreeLee Banana Girl Diet

Jennifer

I have dipped my toes in veganism. Not for moral reasons but for health reasons- The whole high carb low fat plant based idea definitely intrigued me. I tried a starch based diet with some added fruit and didn't like it after the first week or so. I was eating lots of grains though and could see fruit based maybe going better because fruit is awesome (but usually expensive:grumpy:). Fruit tends to be cooling for me because of the fluids unless i'm getting lots of exercise or sun. Either way I don't see the point of eliminating entire food groups or macronutrients unless there is a really good reason to do so. I have tried restricting fat, starch, meat, dairy etc and it has never felt right and my metabolism always declined. It just makes it harder to follow in the long term. I think part of it is wanting what you can't have and feeling anxiety around eating. Part of it may be depriving my body of certain nutrients.

The fact that your health has improved is a good sign that means your diet is probaly working really well for you. I wonder if maybe you had an egg or milk allergy or something hurting your metabolism. I don't usually do well with certain foods like milk and potatoes but cheese and sprouted wheat bread feel fine. Different things certainly work for different people.
Yeah, fruit's alkalizing effects are great in hot climates, but rough in cold ones. I used to cook my fruit into compotes during the colder months. I used frozen fruit reduced down in a pot with vanilla beans, a fat (I love coconut cream), warming spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger etc. and sweetened with dark maple syrup. Two of my favorites were mangos and cream and peaches and cream. Cherries made a pretty heavenly compote, too. For that one I used coconut oil instead of cream.

But yeah, fruit isn't cheap and I can understand why you're not motivated to eat a plant-based diet. I'm motivated for ethical reasons, first and foremost, but even if it weren't for that, I still wouldn't consume animal protein, or at least, only small amounts of it because of the extreme pain it causes where the worst of my compression fractures are.

Yep! Dairy was the biggest culprit. I journaled my experience while dairy-based Peating in a very long-winded log, but basically...dairy caused a chronic facial rash, swelling of my throat whenever I consumed any, a burning gut and a nasty bacterial overgrowth (confirmed by an overpriced Genova stool test) that required 6 months on high doses of minocycline. I'm still dealing with negative effects from the mino. :(

tara

Just of on a diversion ...
Freelee was living in a cold part of Australia (Adelaide)

wikipedia said:
Adelaide is the driest of the Australian capital cities and the past two decades have been far warmer than usual, with the past 8 years seeing an excess of 40+ degrees every summer.
Average low in July is ~7.5C.
Climate of Adelaide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think this is good evidence that people thrive by different methods.
Yeah.
During my vegan HCLF days I was in the worst health of my entire life. Going high carb low fat vegan drove my LH up like crazy, made me stop having periods, made my whole body swollen, made my figure and face more masculine, left me with vaginal dryness, decreased breast size, and decreased free thyroid hormones.
Just out of curiosity, if you feel like telling, were you at that time eating in the order of 750g carbs with a lot of it coming in fruit?

tara

Jennifer

Thank you, tara. :shy:

Huh, so Adelaide isn't too cold then. Or at least, not as cold as it gets here in New Hampshire during the winter. Though, I recall seeing one of Freelee's videos where she showed all the blankets she and Harley had on their bed because they didn't have heat, so at the time, it seemed warranted to me that she would be cold.

She had a blood test done back in 2014 (?) and I want to say her TSH was a little over 2, but I'm not positive. I just remember I had been following Ray's work and thought the number wasn't too bad, just a little elevated if we go by Ray. However, she mentioned she used to have low thyroid function which she was on medication for so maybe that number is good compared to what it used to be?

I'll see if I can find the video.

Jennifer

Found it!

Jennifer

You're welcome, whit! :)

She has low uric acid and explained that her doctor said that was a good thing but according to these posts medicine might be wrong on that one. It looks like uric acid that is too low can be a problem.
Low Uric Acid Predictive For Kidney Failure In Young People
An Anti-oxidant You Actually Need

I paused at her low uric acid levels too, Blossom. I see in the first thread where haidut wrote this:

Can you elaborate please? Why would molybdenum be expected to be helpful? The things that raise uric acid most are caffeine, fructose, inosine, uridine, etc.

She definitely consumes a lot of fructose so I wonder what could be the cause of her low uric acid levels? A preexisting kidney weakness? Or maybe a fluke?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
She definitely consumes a lot of fructose so I wonder what could be the cause of her low uric acid levels? A preexisting kidney weakness? Or maybe a fluke?
I know I was thinking the same thing! When I was vegan my uric acid was low but I probably didn't eat as much fructose as she does. Too bad she isn't a member here because we could tell her to get that one rechecked and you could recommend some kidney supportive herbs.:p

tara

Huh, so Adelaide isn't too cold then. Or at least, not as cold as it gets here in New Hampshire during the winter.
I'd love to have such warm winters. I remind myself that getting below zero is at least good for culling the garden pests, and the peaches and apricots require it.
Or maybe a fluke?
Parasite or coincidence?

Wikipedia says low uric acid levels (not good) can result from low zinc intake or molybdenum deficiency. Not much zinc in most fruit? Uric acid is made from purines - it lists a bunch of animal and plant sources rich in purines - none of them are fruit. Zinc supplement might be a way to improve it.
Wikipedia also mentions that there is uncertainty about whether high uric acid in some metabolic diseases is cause of or protection against the effects of the diseases.

whit

I'd love to have such warm winters. I remind myself that getting below zero is at least good for culling the garden pests, and the peaches and apricots require it.

Parasite or coincidence?

Wikipedia says low uric acid levels (not good) can result from low zinc intake or molybdenum deficiency. Not much zinc in most fruit? Uric acid is made from purines - it lists a bunch of animal and plant sources rich in purines - none of them are fruit. Zinc supplement might be a way to improve it.
Wikipedia also mentions that there is uncertainty about whether high uric acid in some metabolic diseases is cause of or protection against the effects of the diseases.

Parasites are one of the many detractions to raw foods. It's a little scary.
Zinc is a hard nut to crack without eating animal products or PUFA filled nuts.
How do Vegans get it in the diet?
I've always noticed my overall health improved with zinc in the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Parasites are one of the many detractions to raw foods.
More so with raw meat, than fruit though, I guess.

T

tca300

zhXqDWO.jpg

EIRE24

Parasites are one of the many detractions to raw foods. It's a little scary.
Zinc is a hard nut to crack without eating animal products or PUFA filled nuts.
How do Vegans get it in the diet?
I've always noticed my overall health improved with zinc in the picture.
What sources do you get your zinc from?

It's dogmatic. "Let's eat nothing but green vegetables; killing animals is evil, but killing plants is fine. Fat is bad." "Let's eat nothing but fruit; killing animals is evil and fat is bad."

Raw carnivore: "Let's eat nothing but meat and animal products; carbs are evil."

Paleo: "Let's eat what our ancestors ate; variety is best."

Standard American Dieter: "Cheetos taste good. I like things that taste good. I'm going to eat some cheetos; they taste good so they must be bad for me. I'll have a salad with soybean oil; that's the key to good health."

Etc. etc.

The fact is, most of these people don't have a clue why the diet works for them; they just know they feel good while on it. Ketosis is one example of this fallacy in reasoning.

Looooool

Yeah, absolutely, Emstar. And I certainly believe your experience.

When I did 80/10/10 almost a decade ago, it did not turn out well! I was consuming at least two pounds of raw leafy greens daily and still hiking despite being deathly thin. Looking over my old medical records, the diet did help me gain some weight but it was only about 7kgs (I started out at 31kgs) after two years, so not enough to prevent me from fracturing. And once I fractured, I was put on a WAPF diet and it was downhill from there, until I dropped the dairy and went back to a fruit-based diet.

The difference is now I listen to my body and also apply things I learned from Ray's and Dr. Morse's work. I no longer force myself to eat pounds of hard to digest vegetable matter for fear of not getting my minerals and protein or forcing exercise on myself for fear of becoming diabetic if I don't burn off all the sugar. I think another big factor was finally telling family about what was done to me when I was a little girl. That was some heavy stuff to carry around all those years. I thought I would take that secret to the grave with me and thank god I was wrong!
U weigh 31 kg ? :D

whit

What sources do you get your zinc from?
I try to get most of my zinc from diet mainly. Liver regularly and mushrooms, occasional seafood when affordable.
I also supplement zinc to fill in gaps but supplements can have issues.

Dopamine

She has low uric acid and explained that her doctor said that was a good thing but according to these posts medicine might be wrong on that one. It looks like uric acid that is too low can be a problem.
Low Uric Acid Predictive For Kidney Failure In Young People
An Anti-oxidant You Actually Need
You're welcome, whit! :)

I paused at her low uric acid levels too, Blossom. I see in the first thread where haidut wrote this:

Too much exercise maybe?

http://www.jospt.org/doi/pdf/10.2519/jospt.1984.6.1.34
The paradox that was alluded to earlier in the paper was that whereas acute, intense exercise may elevate Serum Uric Acid (SUA) levels, chronic, aerobic-type training apparently decreased SUA levels. 2 In one st~dy,~ the effects of an &week aerobic training program on changes in SUA levels was investigated in a group of initially extremely active subjects (athletic group), moderately active subjects (training group), and a sedentary control group. It was found that chronic exercise lowered SUA 0.3 to 3.2 mg% in 80% of the subjects in the athletic and training groups, particularly in those persons with initial values of 7.0-8.5 mg%. In addition, it was found that as a group the greatest decrease in SUA occurred in members of the athletic group who had undergone the most strenuous training program. These observations have recently been supported by cross-sectional studies. Cooper et have reported the relationship of fitness levels to SUA levels obtained from over 2400 subjects (Fig. 3). His results clearly demonstrate that the higher the fitness level the lower the SUA values. Included in this figure are results obtained from this laboratory in which SUA levels were determined in a group of 28 highly trained athletes (V02,, = 60.4 ml/kg/min) and a group of 10 sedentary controls (V02,, = 40.5 ml/kg/min). The results appear to be very comparable.

Jennifer

I know I was thinking the same thing! When I was vegan my uric acid was low but I probably didn't eat as much fructose as she does. Too bad she isn't a member here because we could tell her to get that one rechecked and you could recommend some kidney supportive herbs.:p
Haha! I do come across like some kind of "herb" dealer now, huh? :shame: I'm like one of those sketchy people you meet in a dark alley who is overly confident they have just what you need, but far more disturbing. A bizarre mix of fruitarian and Peater peddling her OJ and coffee fertilized, red light and musically grown, progest-e massaged, no animals were harmed in the making, high Brix herbs. They grow hair where you don't want it, add padding where you don't need it and have been known to cause a peculiar rash in the shape of Jesus. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Jennifer

Parasite or coincidence?
Coincidence. :)

Zinc is actually not that hard to come by, even beyond nuts and seeds. There are lots of plant foods that contain it.

Just a quick search on plant foods containing zinc:

http://www.naturalnews.com/030157_raw_foods_zinc.html

Herbs and spices:

Foods highest in Zinc in Spices and Herbs

Vegetables:

Foods highest in Zinc in Vegetables and Vegetable Products

Fruit:

Foods highest in Zinc in Fruits and Fruit Juices

Many of Freelee's staples are good sources of zinc. Add to that, the fact that she eats a lot of calories, and it's fairly easy to meet zinc needs for the day. I eat a good amount of calories, too, and have no problem meeting my zinc requirements.

U weigh 31 kg ? :D
Oh, no. 31kg is what I weighed when I was sick. I'm back to my healthy weight now. :)

Too much exercise maybe?

http://www.jospt.org/doi/pdf/10.2519/jospt.1984.6.1.34
The paradox that was alluded to earlier in the paper was that whereas acute, intense exercise may elevate Serum Uric Acid (SUA) levels, chronic, aerobic-type training apparently decreased SUA levels. 2 In one st~dy,~ the effects of an &week aerobic training program on changes in SUA levels was investigated in a group of initially extremely active subjects (athletic group), moderately active subjects (training group), and a sedentary control group. It was found that chronic exercise lowered SUA 0.3 to 3.2 mg% in 80% of the subjects in the athletic and training groups, particularly in those persons with initial values of 7.0-8.5 mg%. In addition, it was found that as a group the greatest decrease in SUA occurred in members of the athletic group who had undergone the most strenuous training program. These observations have recently been supported by cross-sectional studies. Cooper et have reported the relationship of fitness levels to SUA levels obtained from over 2400 subjects (Fig. 3). His results clearly demonstrate that the higher the fitness level the lower the SUA values. Included in this figure are results obtained from this laboratory in which SUA levels were determined in a group of 28 highly trained athletes (V02,, = 60.4 ml/kg/min) and a group of 10 sedentary controls (V02,, = 40.5 ml/kg/min). The results appear to be very comparable.
Good find! I too questioned if maybe exercise had something to do with it. I also questioned if her results were skewed because she had a smoothie right before the test was taken. Or would fasting be worse?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals