Evidence That Cortisol Really Does Cause Hair Loss

Alright, I think Ketoconzole needs a little higher dose to antagonize cortisol ? [100 μM] than it needs to antagonize androgen receptors [6.4±1.8 (SE) × 10-5M ]. Not sure, I hope I got this right, see below.

But what I find more interesting...
Ketoconazole and Miconazole Are Antagonists of the Human Glucocorticoid Receptor
Ketoconazole and Miconazole Are Antagonists of the Human Glucocorticoid Receptor: Consequences on the Expression and Function of the Constitutive Androstane Receptor and the Pregnane X Receptor
Miconazol is also an cortisol antagonist and is actually more interesting than Ketoconzole, coz it has lower molecular weight / smaller molecule, 416.127 g/mol, so can penetrate the skin barrier better than Ket [531.431 g/mol] but is not an androgenic antagonist. So would be able to reach deeper and more Glucocorticoid receptors. see image and this also comes in antifungal shampoo hehe.

66-1.jpg

Figure 1. Hormone receptors detected as being active in human skin cells. PTHR/PTHrPR, parathyroid hormone receptor/parathyroid hormone-related peptide receptor; TSHR, thyroid-stimulating hormone receptor; CRH-1R, -2R, corticotropin-releasing hormone receptors types 1 and 2; MC-1R, -2R, -5R, melanocortin receptor types 1, 2 and 5; µ-opiate-R, µ-opiate receptors; melatonin-1R, melatonin receptor type 1; VPAC-2, vasoactive intestinal popypeptide receptor type 2; NYR, neuropeptide Y receptor; CGRPR, calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor; 5-HTR, serotonin receptors (5-hydroxytryptamine receptors); PAR, proteinase-activated receptors; IGF-IR, insulin/insulin-like growth factor I receptor; GHR, growth hormone receptor; GR, glucocorticoid receptor; AR, androgen receptor; PR, progesterone receptor; THR, thyroid hormone receptors (isotypes a1 and b1); ER-β, -α, estrogen receptor types β and α; RAR, retinoic acid receptors; RXR, retinoid X receptors; RXR-α, retinoid X receptor type α; VDR, vitamin D (calcitriol) receptor; PPAR-α, -δ, -γ, peroxisome proliferator-related receptors types α, β, γ.

Ketoconazole reduced [3H]dexamethasone binding to hGR in a concentration-dependent manner with an IC50 value of approximately 100 μM. These results suggest that ketoconazole interacts with hGR in such a way as to inhibit dexamethasone binding. In sum, the results presented in Figs. 1, 2, 3, 4 suggest that ketoconazole is an antagonist of hGR.

"Fifty percent displacement of [3H]R1881 binding to AR was achieved by 6.4±1.8 (SE) × 10-5M ketoconazole. Additional binding studies performed with ketoconazole in the presence of increasing amounts of [3H]R1881 showed that the interaction of ketoconazole with AR was competitive when the data were analyzed by the Scatchard method.
It should be noted, however, that the dose of ketoconazole required for 50% Occupancy of the androgen receptor is not likely to be achieved in vivo, at least in plasma.
Finally, androgen binding studies performed with other imidazoles, such as clotrimazole, miconazole, and fluconozole, revealed that in this class of compounds only ketoconazole appears to interact with the androgen receptor."

Last edited:

LCohen

Oh no I take it back, I was delirious there for a minute. :cyclops:

LOL, happy for you.

Cause Ketoconazole is a harsh drug on liver. But luckily a new generation drug is under development called Levoketoconazole.

It's easy on liver. Maybe we can use it for hair loss when it's released. Ketoconazole has unique profile for hair loss.

LOL, happy for you.

Cause Ketoconazole is a harsh drug on liver. But luckily a new generation drug is under development called Levoketoconazole.

It's easy on liver. Maybe we can use it for hair loss when it's released. Ketoconazole has unique profile for hair loss.

11beta-hydroxylase (CYP11B1), 17alpha-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase (CYP17A1) and steroid 21-hydroxylase (CYP21A2)
Nah I rather take licorice candy lol

Elephanto

I'm not sure why you're often looking at the harshest chemicals or phytoestrogens with drawbacks to inhibit functions that are easily taken care of by essential substances and habits. It's also not only what you take but also what you avoid/limit. Simply reducing the Endotoxins load and fixing intestinal permeability would alone probably provide you more Cortisol reduction than necessary. Simply avoiding O6 intake, avoiding darkness, using blue-blocking glasses, reducing Iron levels. Keeping CO2 high and mental stress low are other physical mechanics that have a huge impact. Even the lack of systemic oxygenation from long-term inactivity is a stressing signal. Also when energy production is adequate, the requirement for stress hormones decrease.

Safe anti-stress supps include : B6 (P5P), Magnesium, Vitamin D, Vitamin A+E, Zinc, Palmitic Acid, Taurine, Pregnenolone, Glycine and every pro-Testosterone, anti-endotoxins and anti-estrogenic substances that are more or less essential. None of those would have drawbacks like the solutions you're considering, and not only temporary effects on receptors but general ones on shifting the systemic state toward one that protects against stress (more Testosterone, oxygenation, energy production, better liver health, less Serotonin, Inflammation and Estrogen).

You remind me of my Serotogenic phase after propecia where I was quite neurotic, relentlessly looking for the next miracle cure (I don't intend this as an insult but that I can relate and maybe give you an advice on this). Try to live like low-stress people for a while, it helps to have faith that making a set of changes is going to help you, but actually more than any supps in the world can, the simple fact that you'd take your mind off it for a few weeks, granted that you don't eat crap and move daily, will have a huge impact on your health state.

Me? Oh I dont want to decrease cortisol. my cortisol is low.
And I'm poor, unemployed and semi homeless, herbs are cheap for me. I cant afford that stuff.

Elephanto

I cant afford that stuff.

Intermittent fasting (shown to decrease Endotoxins), breathing habits and bag breathing, tanning and living during daylight, moderate cardio, stretching (which creates ATP and releases tensions), donating blood, avoiding gut irritants and imposing on yourself a calm state of mind are free. You should give "take your mind off it" a try.

Last edited:

Elephanto

@ecstatichamster Here's some studies that support your view :
Our findings showed a significant elevation of Cortisol in both male and female AH patients compared to controls
and elevated E2 levels in males stress the importance of androgen metabolism especially at the peripheral level.
Hormonal basis of male and female androgenic alopecia: clinical relevance. - PubMed - NCBI
Significant differences in serum levels of androstenedione, cortisol, 17 beta-estradiol and luteinizing hormone were noted between hair loss patients and control subjects.
Hormonal parameters in androgenetic hair loss in the male. - PubMed - NCBI

Elevated DHEA-S in male pattern baldness and DHEA-S is a marker of stress :
Serum elevation of dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate associated with male pattern baldness in young men. - PubMed - NCBI

Acute and chronic stress increase DHEAS concentrations in rhesus monkeys

Effects of environmental stress on mRNA and protein expression levels of steroid 5alpha-Reductase isozymes in adult rat brain. - PubMed - NCBI

DHEA-S, DHT and Allopregnanolone are triggered by stress as a protective measure with neuroprotective properties against stress.

We already know that Estrogen, Serotonin and Endotoxins trigger Cortisol (hence their chronic elevation leading to chronically high Cortisol). There is also a loop with Cortisol increasing Estrogen and Serotonin. The strategy should then be to reduce the promoting factors of Cortisol.
Lipopolysaccharide directly stimulates cortisol secretion by human adrenal cells by a cyclooxygenase-dependent mechanism. - PubMed - NCBI

Cortisol induces aromatase expression in human placental syncytiotrophoblasts through the cAMP/Sp1 pathway. - PubMed - NCBI

Stress Elevates Estrogen, Not Just Cortisol

NMDA activation releases Cortisol and Prolactin. Stress releases Glutamate and activates NMDA receptors.
N-methyl D-aspartate (NMDA)-antagonists decrease neurotoxicity by inhibiting Ca2+ influx which is of interest for the treatment of acute cerebrovascular insults and chronic neurodegenerative disorders.
prolactin and cortisol liberation is in part influenced through NMDA-receptors
Stress-induced changes of hippocampal NMDA receptors: modulation by duloxetine treatment. - PubMed - NCBI

Zinc, Magnesium and CO2 are natural NMDA inhibitors with general anti-stress properties and are inhibiting toward Calcium influx. This Calcium influx is at the root of scalp calcification. Zinc and Magnesium are also anti-bacterial (Endotoxins), anti-estrogenic and negative regulators of Parathyroid Hormone which promotes Calcium influx. CO2 restricts Serotonin production and is also a negative regulator of PTH, Peat calling it "its main antagonist". Cortisol, Estrogen, Serotonin and the inflammatory cytokine IL-6 promote PTH. Selenium also inhibits Calcium influx, preventing cell death.
Effect of zinc on NMDA receptor-mediated channel currents in cortical neurons. - PubMed - NCBI

Regulation of hippocampal NMDA receptors by magnesium and glycine during development. - PubMed - NCBI

Carbon dioxide negatively modulates N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors. - PubMed - NCBI

Parathyroid hormone stimulates calcium influx and the cAMP messenger system in rat enterocytes.

Selenium suppresses glutamate-induced cell death and prevents mitochondrial morphological dynamic alterations in hippocampal HT22 neuronal cells

IL-6 also promotes Cortisol secretion. Zinc, Magnesium, Selenium, Taurine, MSM, Vitamin E and B12 are inhibitors of IL-6. Serotonin, Iron, excess Copper and Endotoxins promote IL-6.
Interleukin-3 and interleukin-6 stimulate cortisol secretion from adult human adrenocortical cells.

Mechanisms of endotoxin-induced NO, IL-6, and TNF-alpha production in activated rat hepatic stellate cells: role of p38 MAPK.

Selenium is inversely associated with interleukin-6 in the elderly.

Serum Zinc is also significantly lower in male pattern baldness as well as all types of hair loss.
In all of the hair loss patients, the mean serum zinc was 84.33±22.88, significantly lower than the control group (97.94±21.05 µg/dl)
Analysis of Serum Zinc and Copper Concentrations in Hair Loss

Last edited:
None of those studies are particularly useful. Stress increases ACTH which leads to the production of steroids in the body, one of which is estrogen, one of which is DHEA. The elevation could even be caused by the psychological stress of having to deal with balding.

The theory is that chronically elevated stress hormones cause damage to the human hair follicle, which any of those studies have yet to demonstrate, including your original study that merely demonstrates the skin to be a steroidogenic organ.

Maybe there is some data on alopecia rates in people with Cushing's, but from a quick Google search it looks like it's not a primary complaint. There's probably plenty of comments in the 40s and onwards when they used cortisone to treat arthritis. Did those people develop alopecia?

Arrade

None of those studies are particularly useful. Stress increases ACTH which leads to the production of steroids in the body, one of which is estrogen, one of which is DHEA. The elevation could even be caused by the psychological stress of having to deal with balding.

The theory is that chronically elevated stress hormones cause damage to the human hair follicle, which any of those studies have yet to demonstrate, including your original study that merely demonstrates the skin to be a steroidogenic organ.

Maybe there is some data on alopecia rates in people with Cushing's, but from a quick Google search it looks like it's not a primary complaint. There's probably plenty of comments in the 40s and onwards when they used cortisone to treat arthritis. Did those people develop alopecia?
cortisone is used to treat hairloss not the reverse

Arrade

I think my hairloss is slowing down considerably, along with my estrogen.
Next phase is seeing if the calcium and fibrosis supps will reverse hairloss

GorillaHead

So I am new here and Ive been lurking for months. This topic caught my attention. When it comes go hair I got the opposites for genetics. My entire fathers side are intense balding men , all 5 of his bros are basically bald or almost there. All 4 of my moms brothers have the best hairlines anyone could ask for. Crazy thick super juvenile. Now at 26 I am sitting at a norwood 1.5.

Interestingly enough my father today at 57 has lots of upper body hair but lost much of his eyebrow hair and his legs are basically hairless. Some women wish they had.

Whats interesting is back in 2014 my tsh was below 1. Then in 2015 it got to 2.2. Then in 2017 it got to 3.2. And as of july 2018 it was 4.5.

I honestly would say my hair started receding just about that time in 2014.

I also experience cold hands and feet often. Noticed this happens often when playing video games. Possibly related to adrenal gland. And thus possibly related to cortisol and progestrone and and prolactin.

As of last week i started dermarolling. I started using topical capsiacin for IGF promotion.

I also started supplementing high dose iodine which seems to be helping with energy. My libido went down alot but thats honestly a good thing cause it was insane and absurd.

I dont think dht is the main culprit when it comes to hair. And this got me thinking. Travis suggested. Anti gulcocorticoids. And Reducing cortisol.

Methlyene Blue (glucorticoid inhibitor) has been reported by a few users on the net to have substaintally grown some hair on peoples scalp at 50-100mg dosages.

I am going to add lysine. Vitamin E. And natural form of Vitamin C. Magnesium and Zinc. Vitamin B6.

Do you guys have any other suggestions i should add. Other than fin, min and spiro?
Should I megadose? Goal is to get back half on inch on hairline.

Sorry if my post seems all over the place.

Last edited:

Arrade

So I am new here and Ive been lurking for months. This topic caught my attention. When it comes go hair I got the opposites for genetics. My entire fathers side are intense balding men , all 5 of his bros are basically bald or almost there. All 4 of my moms brothers have the best hairlines anyone could ask for. Crazy thick super juvenile. Now at 26 I am sitting at a norwood 1.5.

Interestingly enough my father today at 57 has lots of upper body hair but lost much of his eyebrow hair and his legs are basically hairless. Some women wish they had.

Whats interesting is back in 2014 my tsh was below 1. Then in 2015 it got to 2.2. Then in 2017 it got to 3.2. And as of july 2018 it was 4.5.

I honestly would say my hair started receding just about that time in 2014.

I also experience cold hands and feet often. Noticed this happens often when playing video games. Possibly related to adrenal gland. And thus possibly related to cortisol and progestrone and and prolactin.

As of last week i started dermarolling. I started using topical capsiacin for IGF promotion.

I also started supplementing high dose iodine which seems to be helping with energy. My libido went down alot but thats honestly a good thing cause it was insane and absurd.

I dont think dht is the main culprit when it comes to hair. And this got me thinking. Travis suggested. Anti gulcocorticoids. And Reducing cortisol.

Methlyene Blue (glucorticoid inhibitor) has been reported by a few users on the net to have substaintally grown some hair on peoples scalp at 50-100mg dosages.

I am going to add lysine. Vitamin E. And natural form of Vitamin C. Magnesium and Zinc. Vitamin B6.

Do you guys have any other suggestions i should add. Other than fin, min and spiro?
Should I megadose? Goal is to get back half on inch on hairline.

Sorry if my post seems all over the place.
Good stuff btw, you know a lot so far

I would add you may want to consider fibrosis and the calcium metabolism

Arrade

I feel a jump in serotonin just from .5 mg methylene blue. It’s ridiculous
I’ll literally have a breakdown if I take MB and ashwagandha

High dose iodine I hope you’re taking with selenium. I’m glad you’re doing it because I’m mixed on it’s use for hypothyroidism.

Iodine also makes estradiol into estriol, which is a more beneficial estrogen for hair
Selenium lowers estrogen

GorillaHead

I feel a jump in serotonin just from .5 mg methylene blue. It’s ridiculous
I’ll literally have a breakdown if I take MB and ashwagandha

High dose iodine I hope you’re taking with selenium. I’m glad you’re doing it because I’m mixed on it’s use for hypothyroidism.

Iodine also makes estradiol into estriol, which is a more beneficial estrogen for hair
Selenium lowers estrogen

Really MB raised your serotonin? My understanding is serotinin increases cortisol. Which is the opposite of what Mb is suppose to do. I swear biologics love paradoxes.

Yes I am getting anout 600 mcg of selenium with 6 mg of iodine a day. U think i should up selenium?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals