Evidence That Cortisol Really Does Cause Hair Loss

JDreamer

Also Fungus on scalp make PUFA... which might create enough inflammation to locally trigger hair loss. Which stinks because avoiding dietary PUFA doesn't stop those stinkers from making it.
Isolation and Expression of a Malassezia globosa Lipase Gene, LIP1 - ScienceDirect
And if androgens increase sebum production, that could be a possible explanation for male pattern baldness... Malassezia
View attachment 7051

Funghi are prone to overgrowth in highly estrogenic environments.

Last edited:

Ableton

cushing disease and hairloss in men is a pretty interesting topic. finding kind of contradicting verdicts on it (causes hairloss) and pictures of men with low hairlines.

check this out:
AUCTORES | 569 |

patient experiences hair thinning in his nw0-1 hairline. look at the belly pic figure 9 of this guy from before cushing. its ******* distorted. but his hairline looks receded there. lol. I have difficulties unseeing that even with lense distortion. there is just no hair on the side of his forehead. looks nw 2 at best, closer to 2,5-3 lol
that "hair thinning" looks like ******* regrowth to me ngl

First pic is before Cortisol-Secreating Adrenal Adenoma Causing Cushing Syndrome

Second and third pic is after.

thats a pretty good hair transplant surgeon if I have ever seen one, eh?

Attachments

• 191015083723_5885411.jpeg
    191015083723_5885411.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 191015083723_2404299.jpeg
    191015083723_2404299.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 191015083723_2241748.jpeg
    191015083723_2241748.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 62

johnwester130

wow look at the ingredients in this product
Sebovalis facial cream

Lithium Gluconate (8%), Glycyrrhetinic Acid (2%), Salicylic Acid (0.5%), Pyroctone Olamine (0.5%), Micronized Zinc Pyrithione, Calendula Extract.

if you read the htread on fungals you would know that the pyroctone olamine is also excellent for hair growth

czecha

First pic is before Cortisol-Secreating Adrenal Adenoma Causing Cushing Syndrome

does any1 want to chime in on this?
I researched the topic as well and some men with cushings disease have abnormal hairlines. This dude before and after treatment of cd

i think high cortisol = abstinence of adrenaline leading to increased bloodflow to extremities and scalp. but thats probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Attachments

• 4-Figure4-1.png
    4-Figure4-1.png
    224.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

czecha

thanks man. I drew in the hairlines. in the before pic its even worse than what i drew in (scalp still showing behind it)

Attachments

• CDF8DB80-D88C-4D69-8E4D-A97001158DD0.jpeg
    CDF8DB80-D88C-4D69-8E4D-A97001158DD0.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 37
  • E4B91E82-7013-436F-980D-04D39FC87739.jpeg
    E4B91E82-7013-436F-980D-04D39FC87739.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 36

GorillaHead

Interestingly enough ive noticed that cushings in women results in thinning. While in men not so much

johnwester130

Interestingly enough ive noticed that cushings in women results in thinning. While in men not so much

recently i have began the theory that baldness is caused by bacteria and fungi caused by a post saying that potassium bicarbonate cures baldness in the hair and skin forum section

Malassezia yeast is inexorably related to the inflammation (folliculitis) that causes hair shedding, hair miniaturization, and hair loss in AGA. It is also directly implicated in dandruff and sebborheic dermatitis. In a nutshell Malasszia wreaks its havoc on hair by using lipase enzymes to break down sebum, causing production of Arachadonic acid. Arachadonic acid is an inflammation precursor, leading to the creation and cascade of inflammatory enzymes that have well established roles in the miniaturization of the hair follicle and the constriction of the vasculature seen in virtually all cases of AGA.

wikipedia says the 4 anti fungals are

nizoral
selenium sulfide
zinc pyrithione
pircontone olamine

Treatments > The effect of Ketoconazole and Piroctone Olamine on hair growth

In a study with 150 men who suffer from hereditary hair loss and dandruff, Ketoconazole and Piroctone Olamine were compared*. Excessive secretion of sebum, dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis are often linked with hair loss and hereditary hair loss. The 150 men received a shampoo with 1% Ketoconazole or 1% Piroctone Olamine. They had to use this shampoo 2 to 3 times per week for a duration of six months.

All treatments showed a reduction in itching and dandruff after 2 to 6 weeks. If we take a look at the effect of the treatments on various hair growth parameters, we see the following figures (in percentages):

• The severity of hair loss decreases (Ketoconazole: -17.3%, Piroctone Olamine: -16.5%)
  • The percentage of hairs in the growth phase increases (Ketoconazole 4.9%, Piroctone Olamine: 7.9%)
  • The effect on the hair diameter is increased by 5.4% with Ketoconazole and by 7.7% with Piroctone Olamine.
Thus, the study shows that Piroctone Olamine scores better in a number of areas in comparison to Ketoconazole**:
  • Compared to Ketoconazole, Piroctone Olamine ensures an increase in the number of hairs in the growth phase (anagen phase) by more than 10% in 33% of people.
  • Piroctone Olamine gives 88% of the people thicker hair, despite hereditary hair loss, whereby this is 78% with Ketoconazole.
  • If we take a look at how many people experience a significant increase (more than 10%) of the hair diameter, this is 28% with Ketoconazole and as much as 34% with Piroctone Olamine (10% larger diameter means that the hair became 20% heavier).

i then found a product called kingsley scalp toner,
which is basically just piroctone olamine in alcohol, 4 ingredients,
75ml

if you combined that with solban, the results would be incredible

GorillaHead

recently i have began the theory that baldness is caused by bacteria and fungi caused by a post saying that potassium bicarbonate cures baldness in the hair and skin forum section

Malassezia yeast is inexorably related to the inflammation (folliculitis) that causes hair shedding, hair miniaturization, and hair loss in AGA. It is also directly implicated in dandruff and sebborheic dermatitis. In a nutshell Malasszia wreaks its havoc on hair by using lipase enzymes to break down sebum, causing production of Arachadonic acid. Arachadonic acid is an inflammation precursor, leading to the creation and cascade of inflammatory enzymes that have well established roles in the miniaturization of the hair follicle and the constriction of the vasculature seen in virtually all cases of AGA.

wikipedia says the 4 anti fungals are

nizoral
selenium sulfide
zinc pyrithione
pircontone olamine

Treatments > The effect of Ketoconazole and Piroctone Olamine on hair growth

In a study with 150 men who suffer from hereditary hair loss and dandruff, Ketoconazole and Piroctone Olamine were compared*. Excessive secretion of sebum, dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis are often linked with hair loss and hereditary hair loss. The 150 men received a shampoo with 1% Ketoconazole or 1% Piroctone Olamine. They had to use this shampoo 2 to 3 times per week for a duration of six months.

All treatments showed a reduction in itching and dandruff after 2 to 6 weeks. If we take a look at the effect of the treatments on various hair growth parameters, we see the following figures (in percentages):

• The severity of hair loss decreases (Ketoconazole: -17.3%, Piroctone Olamine: -16.5%)
  • The percentage of hairs in the growth phase increases (Ketoconazole 4.9%, Piroctone Olamine: 7.9%)
  • The effect on the hair diameter is increased by 5.4% with Ketoconazole and by 7.7% with Piroctone Olamine.
Thus, the study shows that Piroctone Olamine scores better in a number of areas in comparison to Ketoconazole**:
  • Compared to Ketoconazole, Piroctone Olamine ensures an increase in the number of hairs in the growth phase (anagen phase) by more than 10% in 33% of people.
  • Piroctone Olamine gives 88% of the people thicker hair, despite hereditary hair loss, whereby this is 78% with Ketoconazole.
  • If we take a look at how many people experience a significant increase (more than 10%) of the hair diameter, this is 28% with Ketoconazole and as much as 34% with Piroctone Olamine (10% larger diameter means that the hair became 20% heavier).

i then found a product called kingsley scalp toner,
which is basically just piroctone olamine in alcohol, 4 ingredients,
75ml

if you combined that with solban, the results would be incredible

Maybe but then if u think about things that accelerate mpb. Accutane which us supposed to dry u out actually should theoretically cause less hairloss based on that theory but not necessarily.

johnwester130

Maybe but then if u think about things that accelerate mpb. Accutane which us supposed to dry u out actually should theoretically cause less hairloss based on that theory but not necessarily.

accutane could solve the sebum problem but it also does other things that are harmful to hair

i don't think it's as simple as just removing all the sebum

antifungals act in other ways too

this post says accutane helps
Accutane a cure

ddjd

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...uinea_pigs/links/0046353c6c531d6599000000.pdf

These results show for the first time that only small amounts of systemically administered radioactive glucocorticoids are deposited in hair of guinea pigs, while measurement of large amounts of unlabeled GCM strongly suggests local production of glucocorticoids in hair follicles​

So that's basically the interesting part. Cortisol is massively produced in the hair follicles. I was listening to a KMUD interview with Ray, and he was saying that a lot of estrogen is produced in the skin, more than in the ovaries (of course also in men, LOL). I think ditto in the follicles and this probably has a lot to do with hair loss.

I think we're gonna find that in stress, the hair follicles create a lot of cortisol and estrogen and all the other stress hormones and that this causes hair loss. Pretty much like Danny Roddy has said.

What is interesting to me is that this occurs on the hair on the head but not on the chin or pubic region.

I think that most likely, there is a reason for this. Perhaps over the millennia, we have done better as men when we were bald if we were under stress, in order to get more sunlight on her scalp. I'm totally not kidding.
i think you're 100% onto something. one of the best things ive found against mpb is cyproheptadine- huge cortisol antagonist

GorillaHead

i think you're 100% onto something. one of the best things ive found against mpb is cyproheptadine- huge cortisol antagonist

Didnt you say retinol stopped your hairloss, I swear ive seen multiple threads of you claiming something cured you but then you have another thread that says this other thing cured you.

Idk..

as for those men with Cushing disease that have great hair, I noticed that before treatment people with cushing have a very low tsh, thus bringing me back to thyroid issues.

I am gonna state some things that generally are the case,

• Men with cushing before treatment often have good hair
  • Some women with pcos experience mpb
  • All known male celebrities with thyroid cancers that induce hyperthyroidism before treatment have excellent hair
  • Males with type 1 diabetes often have great hair
  • Thyroid and Insulin resistance are intertwined, Thyroid Function Is Intrinsically Linked to Insulin Sensitivity and Endothelium-Dependent Vasodilation in Healthy Euthyroid Subjects
  • Insulin has a direct effect on cellular polarization (minoxidil induces hyperpolarization allows potassium out of the cell)
  • Babies have reverse male pattern baldness
  • Hirsutisms and mpb sometimes have a level of association
  • Hair is a peripheral organ, thus mpb is a peripheral condition
  • Asian countries often associated with lowest incidence of mpb also seem to have the high prevalence of hyperthyroidism
  • Hyperthyroid people have increased peripheral bloodflow
  • Blood pressure is often higher in mpb
  • Minoxidil induces peripheral vasodilation and reduces bp
  • both hyperthyroid and hypothyroid states cause insulin resistance but their effects on peripheral tissue differ in hyperthyroid people peripheral uptake of glucose is rather significant Why Can Insulin Resistance Be a Natural Consequence of Thyroid Dysfunction?
  • thyroid hormones are necessary for the absorption of zinc
  • mpb sufferers in one study found to have low zinc levels in serum and hair
  • zinc has been found to inhibit dht
  • bph is associated with mpb
  • in bph tissue high copper levels are found
  • arteriosclerosis is associated with mpb
  • lower blood flow leads to higher incidence of arteriosclerosis
  • anabolic steroids associate with rapid mpb progession
  • chronic anabolics steroid use found to cause thyroid dysfunction and reduce thyroid hormones https://www.researchgate.net/public...ogenic_Steroid_Alters_Murine_Thyroid_Function

lastly i want to talk about a case document in the late 1800s. A women had a disease that was basically severe hypothyroidism. I mean severe. She was bald like a man with hair only in the back. After treatment most of hair regrew. Photo is attached. I am actually astonished that thyroid and mpb are not directly associated. There is no such thing as thyroid hairloss. That hairloss fall in the mpb fashion

photo attached

THE ANSWER IS IN THERE^

Attachments

• 6642AEAA-F29E-4F10-8E6D-36797010B012.png
    6642AEAA-F29E-4F10-8E6D-36797010B012.png
    260.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

GorillaHead

does any1 want to chime in on this?
I researched the topic as well and some men with cushings disease have abnormal hairlines. This dude before and after treatment of cd

i think high cortisol = abstinence of adrenaline leading to increased bloodflow to extremities and scalp. but thats probably only the tip of the iceberg.

I have not seen any research to show that there is an inverse relationship between adrenaline and cortisol

czecha

Didnt you say retinol stopped your hairloss, I swear ive seen multiple threads of you claiming something cured you but then you have another thread that says this other thing cured you.

Idk..

as for those men with Cushing disease that have great hair, I noticed that before treatment people with cushing have a very low tsh, thus bringing me back to thyroid issues.

I am gonna state some things that generally are the case,

• Men with cushing before treatment often have good hair
  • Some women with pcos experience mpb
  • All known male celebrities with thyroid cancers that induce hyperthyroidism before treatment have excellent hair
  • Males with type 1 diabetes often have great hair
  • Thyroid and Insulin resistance are intertwined,
  • Insulin has a direct effect on cellular polarization (minoxidil induces hyperpolarization allows potassium out of the cell)
  • Babies have reverse male pattern baldness
  • Hirsutisms and mpb sometimes have a level of association
  • Hair is a peripheral organ, thus mpb is a peripheral condition
  • Asian countries often associated with lowest incidence of mpb also seem to have the high prevalence of hyperthyroidism
  • Hyperthyroid people have increased peripheral bloodflow
  • Minoxidil induces peripheral vasodilation
  • both hyperthyroid and hypothyroid states cause insulin resistance but their effects on peripheral tissue differ in hyperthyroid people peripheral uptake of glucose is rather significant Why Can Insulin Resistance Be a Natural Consequence of Thyroid Dysfunction?
Insulin sensitizers are used to treat hirsutism in females

johnwester130

Alright, I think Ketoconzole needs a little higher dose to antagonize cortisol ? [100 μM] than it needs to antagonize androgen receptors [6.4±1.8 (SE) × 10-5M ]. Not sure, I hope I got this right, see below.

But what I find more interesting...
Ketoconazole and Miconazole Are Antagonists of the Human Glucocorticoid Receptor
Ketoconazole and Miconazole Are Antagonists of the Human Glucocorticoid Receptor: Consequences on the Expression and Function of the Constitutive Androstane Receptor and the Pregnane X Receptor
Miconazol is also an cortisol antagonist and is actually more interesting than Ketoconzole, coz it has lower molecular weight / smaller molecule, 416.127 g/mol, so can penetrate the skin barrier better than Ket [531.431 g/mol] but is not an androgenic antagonist. So would be able to reach deeper and more Glucocorticoid receptors. see image and this also comes in antifungal shampoo hehe.

66-1.jpg

Figure 1. Hormone receptors detected as being active in human skin cells. PTHR/PTHrPR, parathyroid hormone receptor/parathyroid hormone-related peptide receptor; TSHR, thyroid-stimulating hormone receptor; CRH-1R, -2R, corticotropin-releasing hormone receptors types 1 and 2; MC-1R, -2R, -5R, melanocortin receptor types 1, 2 and 5; µ-opiate-R, µ-opiate receptors; melatonin-1R, melatonin receptor type 1; VPAC-2, vasoactive intestinal popypeptide receptor type 2; NYR, neuropeptide Y receptor; CGRPR, calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor; 5-HTR, serotonin receptors (5-hydroxytryptamine receptors); PAR, proteinase-activated receptors; IGF-IR, insulin/insulin-like growth factor I receptor; GHR, growth hormone receptor; GR, glucocorticoid receptor; AR, androgen receptor; PR, progesterone receptor; THR, thyroid hormone receptors (isotypes a1 and b1); ER-β, -α, estrogen receptor types β and α; RAR, retinoic acid receptors; RXR, retinoid X receptors; RXR-α, retinoid X receptor type α; VDR, vitamin D (calcitriol) receptor; PPAR-α, -δ, -γ, peroxisome proliferator-related receptors types α, β, γ.

very interesting find

would FUNGOID 2% TINCTURE 1OZ be good? you kill the fungus and also the cortisol receptor

it is basically just miconazole in alcohol.

johnwester130

spiro may not be a good choice

In response to the antimineralocorticoid activity spironolactone, and in an attempt to maintain homeostasis, the body increases aldosterone production in the adrenal cortex.[197][198][199] Some studies have found that levels of cortisol, a glucocorticoid hormone that is also produced in the adrenal cortex, are increased as well.[198][199][200] However, other clinical studies have found no change in cortisol levels with spironolactone,[138][201][85][202] and those that have found increases often have observed only small changes.[203] In accordance, spironolactone has not been associated with conventional glucocorticoid medication effects or side effects.[204][205]

ChemHead

spiro may not be a good choice

In response to the antimineralocorticoid activity spironolactone, and in an attempt to maintain homeostasis, the body increases aldosterone production in the adrenal cortex.[197][198][199] Some studies have found that levels of cortisol, a glucocorticoid hormone that is also produced in the adrenal cortex, are increased as well.[198][199][200] However, other clinical studies have found no change in cortisol levels with spironolactone,[138][201][85][202] and those that have found increases often have observed only small changes.[203] In accordance, spironolactone has not been associated with conventional glucocorticoid medication effects or side effects.[204][205]

This is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, higher aldosterone can be a good thing under certain circumstances. It's the binding of mineralocorticoid receptor that can have negative effects on hair. My suspicion is that overexpression of the mineralocorticoid receptor causes fibrotic tissue development due to excess stimulation of collagen synthesis. However, aldosterone can stimulate elastin gene expression in a manner that is independent of the mineralocorticoid receptor. So, it seems that both collagen and elastin synthesis involve aldosterone, but only collagen expression is mediated through the mineralocorticoid receptor. It's my belief that this is how the mineralocorticoid receptor is involved in scalp fibrosis and may play a role in the pathology of hair loss.

This also makes mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists useful in restructuring scar tissue. By damaging the tissue (perhaps, through needling) and applying something like spironolactone, you inhibit the tissue's ability to express collagen and force elastin expression to dominate (via aldosterone's MR-independent pathway of elastin expression). The tissue then rebuilds itself with a higher elastin to collagen ratio. Perhaps, this is something that those of you with some scar tissue may like to experiment with if you have a needling device and some spironolactone handy.

whatever

Corticosterone inhibits GAS6 to govern hair follicle stem-cell quiescence

Corticosterone inhibits GAS6 to govern hair follicle stem-cell quiescence

Abstract​

Chronic, sustained exposure to stressors can profoundly affect tissue homeostasis, although the mechanisms by which these changes occur are largely unknown. Here we report that the stress hormone corticosterone—which is derived from the adrenal gland and is the rodent equivalent of cortisol in humans—regulates hair follicle stem cell (HFSC) quiescence and hair growth in mice. In the absence of systemic corticosterone, HFSCs enter substantially more rounds of the regeneration cycle throughout life. Conversely, under chronic stress, increased levels of corticosterone prolong HFSC quiescence and maintain hair follicles in an extended resting phase. Mechanistically, corticosterone acts on the dermal papillae to suppress the expression of Gas6, a gene that encodes the secreted factor growth arrest specific 6. Restoring Gas6 expression overcomes the stress-induced inhibition of HFSC activation and hair growth. Our work identifies corticosterone as a systemic inhibitor of HFSC activity through its effect on the niche, and demonstrates that the removal of such inhibition drives HFSCs into frequent regeneration cycles, with no observable defects in the long-term.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals