Evidence That Cortisol Really Does Cause Hair Loss

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...uinea_pigs/links/0046353c6c531d6599000000.pdf

These results show for the first time that only small amounts of systemically administered radioactive glucocorticoids are deposited in hair of guinea pigs, while measurement of large amounts of unlabeled GCM strongly suggests local production of glucocorticoids in hair follicles​

So that's basically the interesting part. Cortisol is massively produced in the hair follicles. I was listening to a KMUD interview with Ray, and he was saying that a lot of estrogen is produced in the skin, more than in the ovaries (of course also in men, LOL). I think ditto in the follicles and this probably has a lot to do with hair loss.

I think we're gonna find that in stress, the hair follicles create a lot of cortisol and estrogen and all the other stress hormones and that this causes hair loss. Pretty much like Danny Roddy has said.

What is interesting to me is that this occurs on the hair on the head but not on the chin or pubic region.

I think that most likely, there is a reason for this. Perhaps over the millennia, we have done better as men when we were bald if we were under stress, in order to get more sunlight on her scalp. I'm totally not kidding.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Interesting. Might lend some credence to why scalp massaging works for some. Massaging and relief of muscular tension has been shown to reduce estrogen and cortisol locally.

T

tca300

Also Fungus on scalp make PUFA... which might create enough inflammation to locally trigger hair loss. Which stinks because avoiding dietary PUFA doesn't stop those stinkers from making it.
Isolation and Expression of a Malassezia globosa Lipase Gene, LIP1 - ScienceDirect
And if androgens increase sebum production, that could be a possible explanation for male pattern baldness... Malassezia
Figure3Malassezia.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Soren

Forum Supporter
Also. Fungus on scalp make PUFA... which might create enough inflammation to locally trigger hair loss. Which stinks because avoiding dietary PUFA doesn't stop those stinkers from making it.

View attachment 7051

Now that is something I have not heard before. Sounds like an argument for going back to using shampoo :confused:.

Frankdee20

Even if we knew with certainty, seems like we will colonize mars before we reverse hair loss, without castration.

T

tca300

Now that is something I have not heard before. Sounds like an argument for going back to using shampoo :confused:.
Doing a hair soak with vinegar and some mct oil can murder them pretty good.
I did no shampoo for over a year, and didn't really experiance any benefits. Now I scrub with venegar, then wash with coconut oil soap that I make myself from coconut oil and lye.

Soren

Forum Supporter

Thanks any more advice on the best way to do that or any kind of guide? Just get coconut oil and vinegar and soak my hair in it for a few minutes? I feel like I could make quite a mess of it :laughing:

T

tca300

Thanks any more advice on the best way to do that or any kind of guide? Just get coconut oil and vinegar and soak my hair in it for a few minutes? I feel like I could make quite a mess of it :laughing:
The longer fatty acid chains in coconut oil ( including lauric acid ) actually feed the Malassezia, so I think mct oil is best.
I just mix about 1 tsp of mct oil with 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, scrub really well, then wash out with soap. It completely destroyed my dandruff, which hasn't come back since, so I know it works for killing that particular fungus. Does it stop hair loss? I dont know.

Frankdee20

I did no shampoo for over a year, and didn't really experiance any benefits. Now I scrub with venegar, then wash with coconut oil soap that I make myself from coconut oil and lye.

Yeah but all that fuss, has it regrow hair ?

ddjd

The longer fatty acid chains in coconut oil ( including lauric acid ) actually feed the Malassezia, so I think mct oil is best.
I just mix about 1 tsp of mct oil with 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, scrub really well, then wash out with soap. It completely destroyed my dandruff, which hasn't come back since, so I know it works for killing that particular fungus. Does it stop hair loss? I dont know.
Wouldn't you rather treat the cause of the dandruff, i.e. low vitamin A

raypeatclips

How often do you/did you do this rinse?

Thoushant

Also Fungus on scalp make PUFA... which might create enough inflammation to locally trigger hair loss. Which stinks because avoiding dietary PUFA doesn't stop those stinkers from making it.
Isolation and Expression of a Malassezia globosa Lipase Gene, LIP1 - ScienceDirect
And if androgens increase sebum production, that could be a possible explanation for male pattern baldness... Malassezia
View attachment 7051

I have a suspicion that besides androgens, the microbiota up there also can change the fate of the stem cells. I don't have knowledge of exactly what's up there, but here is this intersting part
Thematic review series: Skin Lipids. Sebaceous gland lipids: friend or foe?
At least three pathways have been found to be of importance to sebaceous gland development. These pathways are the Wnt signaling pathway, the c-myc signaling pathway, and the hedgehog signaling pathway (Fig. 2). Wnt signaling occurs through the stabilization of β-catenin. Mice with mutations in β-catenin, which decrease Wnt signaling through a binding defect in β-catenin, have an increased number of sebaceous glands over normal mice (4). The next player in the sebaceous gland development pathway is c-myc. The Myc gene, which encodes the c-Myc protein, is a downstream target of the β-catenin/T-cell factor transcription factor. Transgenic mice overexpressing c-myc in the basal layer of skin have an increase in sebaceous gland size and number (57). In addition to the increase in sebaceous gland proliferation, there is a decrease in the number of hair follicles. The third pathway involved in sebaceous gland development is the hedgehog signaling pathway. Hedgehog protein family members mediate transcriptional effects through Gli proteins. Transgenic mice have been created for proteins along the hedgehog signaling cascade. The skin of mice with a gain-of-function mutation for hedgehog signaling was found to have an increase in the number of sebaceous glands associated with hair follicles as well as of ectopic sebaceous glands not associated with a hair follicle (8). It is also interesting that c-myc was found to be upregulated in the skin of mice with a gain of function of hedgehog signaling. These mice give evidence that these pathways are important for sebaceous gland development and that some cross-talk exists between these pathways.

If you search for H. Pylori + C-Myc, it's at least one bacteria able to upregulate it.
Edit: figure 2 basicly says these pathways either decide that progenitor cell either go seb cell or HF

GAF

I think we're gonna find that in stress, the hair follicles create a lot of cortisol and estrogen and all the other stress hormones and that this causes hair loss.

So why do you guys want your hair back? You need more cortisol and estrogen and pufa?

TheHound

why not try sulfur soap on the scalp instead then?

T

tca300

I have a suspicion that besides androgens, the microbiota up there also can change the fate of the stem cells. I don't have knowledge of exactly what's up there, but here is this intersting part
Thematic review series: Skin Lipids. Sebaceous gland lipids: friend or foe?

If you search for H. Pylori + C-Myc, it's at least one bacteria able to upregulate it.
Edit: figure 2 basicly says these pathways either decide that progenitor cell either go seb cell or HF
Interesting!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals