Yuka Kinoshita How Does She Do It?

Kyle M

Japanese are the master race duh. Seriously though, they eat cold rice and noodles, big bowels of ramen, raw vegetables etc. and never have digestive problems. I'm jelly af.

Optimus

Whatever her secret be, people like her are the epitome of perfect health according to Ray Peat

nikolabeacon

When I was in high school i had this need which i think is not quite a sign of "optimal metabolism" , which I think is not so rare after all during teen years, to eat crazy amount of calories ( 6000-7000 calories or more) and be very thin and skinny ...it happens during or around puberty when hormones are messed up similar to what Peat explained here...probably someone that stay in this state will probably not going to last (relatively)"very long" without health issues

Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

" In my teens and twenties, I needed about 8000 calories per day when I was physically active, about 4000 to 5000 when I was sedentary, but after I took thyroid, I needed only about half as many calories. Thyroid is the basic regulator of blood glucose, and it causes it to be fully oxidized for energy, so that it produces ATP efficiently, on relatively few calories. If blood glucose falls, because it's being used very quickly, the body responds with stress hormones, including glucagon, adrenalin, and cortisol. They cause fat and protein to be burned for energy, while in hypothyroidism, glucose can still be used inefficiently for glycolysis, producing lactic acid, displacing bicarbonate and carbon dioxide. This causes mineral imbalances, with effects including cramps and nerve-muscle tension, which produce heat and waste energy. When you first start taking thyroid again, your tissues will need some extra magnesium, during the time when the dose is increasing, and when the mineral balance is restored your temperature and metabolic rate might decrease a little. Orange juice, milk, and coffee are good for the main minerals, while salting your food to taste.

Supplementing thyroid can sometimes reduce the rate of metabolism, by allowing cells to retain enough magnesium, which stabilizes ATP."

The_xXx

lvysaur

Japanese are the master race duh. Seriously though, they eat cold rice and noodles, big bowels of ramen, raw vegetables etc. and never have digestive problems. I'm jelly af.

Off the top of my head, TLR4-related SNPs seem to follow a distribution of Asian > Caucasoid > African. I have no idea what any of these SNPs do, but the association is pretty clear.

Kyle M

Off the top of my head, TLR4-related SNPs seem to follow a distribution of Asian > Caucasoid > African. I have no idea what any of these SNPs do, but the association is pretty clear.
I never understood the value in reporting SNP frequency. Do the SNPs increase or decrease function? Change function? The only thing SNP comparisons can do unequivocally, in my opinion, is show genetic relatedness.

Having said that, do you know what the SNPs in TLR4 supposedly do?

lvysaur

The only thing SNP comparisons can do unequivocally, in my opinion, is show genetic relatedness.

That's only true when you analyze the entire genome, not a specific set of SNPs.

Like I said, no idea what it does. But whatever it does do, Asians tend to be on one side of that spectrum, Africans on the other. My gut instinct (pun intended) is that Asians are selected for more endotoxin resistance.

Kyle M

That's only true when you analyze the entire genome, not a specific set of SNPs.

Like I said, no idea what it does. But whatever it does do, Asians tend to be on one side of that spectrum, Africans on the other. My gut instinct (pun intended) is that Asians are selected for more endotoxin resistance.
Oh ok, that would be interesting. I do think individual SNPs can show genetic relatedness if they are of particular house keeping genes that would change slowly. There's probably an informatics technique for all of that.

My main point is that Japanese I saw (like in Japan) eat a lot of foods that make my tummy swell up horribly. They must have no bacteria in their small intestine.

lvysaur

My main point is that Japanese I saw (like in Japan) eat a lot of foods that make my tummy swell up horribly. They must have no bacteria in their small intestine.

Things are complicated. Dunno if you remember my post about the FADS desaturase genes, but it turns out I was somewhat wrong.

I assumed it was simply due to a latitudinal difference in access to PUFA. Turns out: not entirely.

Indian groups tend to desaturate more according to lactose tolerance (which itself clusters with vegetarianism, for obvious reasons).

The most outstanding thing here is that southern Chinese and Vietnamese desaturate less than northern Chinese and Japanese. The cold dwelling north Asians desaturate their PUFA more; a LOT more. Thus, latitude cannot be taken for granted as the determining factor. Native Americans also desaturate a bit less than Europeans, despite living in equatorial regions.

Another interesting thing is the gulf between Brits and Utahans. Utahans are mostly British in ancestry, but they desaturated more than Brits, Italians, and Iberians. Either there's some sort of really significant African admixture (doubt it), or some kind of sub-population effect/evolution.

Very off topic, but wanted to share.

Last edited:

Kyle M

Shouldn't colder peoples desaturate more, as nuts and seeds are more unsaturated in cold climates, and cold water fish more unsaturated than warm?

lvysaur

Shouldn't colder peoples desaturate more, as nuts and seeds are more unsaturated in cold climates, and cold water fish more unsaturated than warm?

cold environments contain more plant PUFA, more animal PUFA, and more fat in general.

So cold people will tend to have more linoleic acid and arachidonic, DHA, etc. in their diets.

Thus, they will need to desaturate less to compensate for the high PUFA diet.

Badger

Wouldn't all that eating also strain her liver over time, also a major factor in cutting her life short?

My best guess is she probably has some degree of hyperthyroidism, which if that is the case, her lifespan will certainly be cut short due to cellular damage.

Kyle M

cold environments contain more plant PUFA, more animal PUFA, and more fat in general.

So cold people will tend to have more linoleic acid and arachidonic, DHA, etc. in their diets.

Thus, they will need to desaturate less to compensate for the high PUFA diet.

But humans can't desaturate to linoleic acid, only from as they elongate PUFA, or desaturate SFA to MUFA and elongate. Seems to me the greatest use of desaturates is just the compliment of elongases.

Sheik

I'm glad this thread came up again. When I'm finding it hard to eat enough I watch Yuka Kinoshita.

lvysaur

But humans can't desaturate to linoleic acid, only from as they elongate PUFA, or desaturate SFA to MUFA and elongate. Seems to me the greatest use of desaturates is just the compliment of elongases.

Yes, the mutations concern desaturating plant PUFA further into things like arachidonic acid and omega 3s.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom