Yuka Kinoshita How Does She Do It?

Kyle M

Yes, the mutations concern desaturating plant PUFA further into things like arachidonic acid and omega 3s.
So by that logic shouldn't cold climate people's have higher desaturase activity?

lvysaur

So by that logic shouldn't cold climate people's have higher desaturase activity?

No. If you have a lot of animal PUFA or even plant PUFA in the environment, the person doesn't need to synthesize AAs as much, and probably benefits from synthesizing it less.

If you have very little PUFA, the person needs higher desaturating activity.

But as the data shows, reality doesn't follow the logic so well.

Kyle M

No. If you have a lot of animal PUFA or even plant PUFA in the environment, the person doesn't need to synthesize AAs as much, and probably benefits from synthesizing it less.

If you have very little PUFA, the person needs higher desaturating activity.

But as the data shows, reality doesn't follow the logic so well.
But humans can't saturate points past the 9th carbon, can't make AA or LA etc. without an n-6 as a precursor. So what's the point of being able to desaturate without precursor material to work with?

lvysaur

But humans can't saturate points past the 9th carbon, can't make AA or LA etc. without an n-6 as a precursor. So what's the point of being able to desaturate without precursor material to work with?

The mutation allows further desaturation of parent n-6 and n-3.

chrismeyers

Honestly, she really doesn't look that good from a Japanese perspective. If you are looking at her from an American average land whale perspective, then yes she is skinnier. But she looks chubby to me in comparison to the average Japanese girl look. Her face is way too plump.

Honestly, she really doesn't look that good from a Japanese perspective. If you are looking at her from an American average land whale perspective, then yes she is skinnier. But she looks chubby to me in comparison to the average Japanese girl look. Her face is way too plump.
mm skeletons

Kyle M

The mutation allows further desaturation of parent n-6 and n-3.

Saturation of, not to, so you need to have n-3 or n-6 in your diet to use it. I just don't see how that means the desaturase amount would be selected for higher with less parent n-3/n-6 in the diet to work on.

bboone

i don't know if anyone mentions this, but i would bet good money she "purges" after eating these meals, by sticking fingers down her throat and throwing it all up

bboone

cold environments contain more plant PUFA, more animal PUFA, and more fat in general.

So cold people will tend to have more linoleic acid and arachidonic, DHA, etc. in their diets.

Thus, they will need to desaturate less to compensate for the high PUFA diet.

are there any benefits to PUFA consumption for people who live in cold environments?

lvysaur

are there any benefits to PUFA consumption for people who live in cold environments?
Probably to some extent, but "cold adapted" doesn't really have anything to do with most modern people.

I'm actually thinking that the temperature may not have much to do with it now; evidence includes low desaturation allele frequencies in Southeast Asians, indigenous South Americans. Temperate climate people, like Northeast Asians and Europeans desaturate *more* and produce more arachidonic acid.

I think the original hypothesis (vegetarian-leaning diet) makes sense after all. Especially when you look at the distribution of the allele in India, vis a vis lactase persistence. Milk is the only animal food that lacks AA, and it's the lactose digesting northwest Indians who desaturate the most. Milk drinkers evolved to create more AA.

Fish-eating indigenous Europeans were 0% for desaturase, and after mixing/conquest/evolution by Indoeuropeans and various others, this rose to 70%. Later pottery from groups like the Bell Beakers show little to no consumption of fish and meat fats, but heavy consumption of dairy fat.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-l1YmSXd7yQA/VhlDdgADsfI/AAAAAAAAAx0/081XEAvT0PQ/s1600/pigmentation+Mathieson.jpg

rs174546 - SNPedia

This would mean that Southeast Asians are an extremely animal-adapted group of people, much moreso than North Asians or Europeans. Or perhaps it has something to do with the domestication of the chicken in SEAsia, resulting in high PUFA eggs, who knows.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom