Roasting Coffee Causes Cancer?

meatbag

link didn't work for me :/ have you checked out Peat's coffee article though?
~Caffeine: A vitamin-like nutrient, or adaptogen. Questions about tea and coffee, cancer and other degenerative diseases, and the hormones.

Some posts on the forum about Dark Roast
Dark Roast Restores Blood Vitamin E, Glutathione

Supposedly it has more niacin as well

Do you know why they thought it was carcinogenic? I know several teachers I've had claim coffee is toxic :hilarious: To each their own though :phantom:

x-ray peat

I think you are referring to the Prop 65 lawsuit in California to place labels on coffee due to its acrylamide content. I saw this yesterday. Its more of an ambulance chasing lawsuit than anything else. No study on coffee that I know of has shown it causes cancer. There are more acrylamides in potato chips than coffee btw.

https://newfoodeconomy.org/coffee-acrylamide-california-proposition-65/
RP says drink up
:raypeatcoffee

Last edited:

LucH

Do you know why they thought it was carcinogenic?
Asparagine, an amino acid, when roasted, can be carcinogenic. Rather robusta than arabica.
It's dependent dose. But it would rather be capsulles of freeze-dried coffee that could be problematic in some cases (anti-caking).

OP
D

dreamcatcher

Yes, I found it funny actually..
@x-ray peat yes, that's the article, thanks!
@meatbag I read Ray's article about it which is one of my favourites! That article made me drink coffee the first time in my life in 2013 and got addicted to it :emoji_slight_smile:

LucH

@LucH what dose do you refer to? Ray Peat used to drink 40 cups daily..I have organic arabica atm :nailbiting:
No precise idea. I am referring to common sense. I usually tell my students that 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day, an espresso (75 - 120 mg caffeine), is good for the brain. Prevention of Alzheimer's.
Obviously, we have to take into account the ground and we adapt / we abstain temporarily if necessary (anxious or stressed).
Hope it will help ... :yellohello

OP
D

dreamcatcher

Thank you @LucH :blush:

I have no problems increasing my dose:) Ray Peat says, it's individual whether to drink coffee or not..based on your reaction to it.

LucH

Thank you @LucH :blush:

I have no problems increasing my dose:) Ray Peat says, it's individual whether to drink coffee or not..based on your reaction to it.
Quite logical.
When I take an expresso, I often take L-theanine 100 mg (50 - 70 mg is ok according to Peat, I think) to attenuate excess anxiety. Niacinamide or Theanine are fine when too much anxiety.
Or bone broth (gaba-like effect from glycine).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals