How are your prepping for a potential emergency?

Grapelander

Water Storage Tips to Live By

Why Calcium Hypochlorite is So Much Cooler Than Bleach

Bleach’s active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite. Calcium hypochlorite basically does the same things, but it has some amazing advantages over bleach.

It’s Way Cheaper
The powdered form of calcium hypochlorite is far more cost effective than bleach. One-fourth teaspoon of powder will treat 55 gallons of water.

Its Shelf Life is Way Longer

The shelf life of calcium hypochlorite powder is 10 years. The shelf life of bleach is about one year from production under ideal storage conditions. It weakens quickly over time.

But There’s a Slight Learning Curve
You will need to make a 5% chlorine stock solution with the powder to disinfect water with it. Find instructions for that.

Get Over the Curve, and Enjoy the Rewards
Once you make a bottle of solution, you can pretend that it’s normal bleach. Just follow the CDC and Clorox recommendations for treating water above and use the same quantities you would use for bleach.

Make the solution in small batches as needed because it will degrade like bleach solution.

Water Storage Tips to Live By

Why Calcium Hypochlorite is So Much Cooler Than Bleach

Bleach’s active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite. Calcium hypochlorite basically does the same things, but it has some amazing advantages over bleach.

The powdered form of calcium hypochlorite is far more cost effective than bleach. One-fourth teaspoon of powder will treat 55 gallons of water.

The shelf life of calcium hypochlorite powder is 10 years. The shelf life of bleach is about one year from production under ideal storage conditions. It weakens quickly over time.

You will need to make a 5% chlorine stock solution with the powder to disinfect water with it. Find instructions for that.

Once you make a bottle of solution, you can pretend that it’s normal bleach. Just follow the CDC and Clorox recommendations for treating water above and use the same quantities you would use for bleach.

Make the solution in small batches as needed because it will degrade like bleach solution.
Can you please repost this for those of us hanging out in this other survival thread Grapelander?

Grapelander

Can you please repost this for those of us hanging out in this other survival thread Grapelander?

YES - completed. That is a nice post.

Lizb

I start shouting at the telly when they say things like do batch cooking, don't boil the kettle, put on another jumper, all of which I heard today.

We already have the elderly and vulnerable dying each year from the cold. It is the elderly that'll be taking this advice and dying in higher quantities.

Careless words as far as I'm concerned.

And what about all those who already switch the electric off at the fuse box at night (except for the fridge freezer switch), or the old lady who turns the light off and jumps back into bed when the social worker has just left, and the families already having beans on toast for their main meal......'don't buy convenience foods'. Yeh right. That'll work just fine.

OP
P

Peatness

I agree. These are exceptional times and that kind of advice is probably a bit of an insult.

OP
P

Peatness

Oh dear. A few cartons of long life milk I bought last year now expired - dated Feb 2022. Should I bin it or us it?

OP
P

Peatness

I had a carton of UHT milk that expired in Feb 2022. Tried to use it end of May - first week of June and it had spoiled by that time. I think it depends…
Just opened, it seems fine.

OccamzRazer

The ability to walk 10-20+ miles and/or bike 40+ miles without getting tired could be a plus.

OP
P

Peatness

Lol anywhere I need to go?
1655664569300.png

OP
P

Peatness

Agricultural researcher, permaculturalist and author Christian Westbrook (Iceagefarmer) joined Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. on the “RFK Jr. The Defender Podcast” to discuss what’s behind the coming food crisis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom