How are your prepping for a potential emergency?

David PS

This is an interesting idea. But, what about cold winters.
1659790898231.png

mayku-T-meelo

View attachment 40030
It's an idea, not sure if original, heavily propagated by Joel Salatin. I've bought his recent book - a manual on constructing farming infrastructure. For the winter I believe he puts chickens and rabbits into a large organized tent, where chickens freely roam underneath the rabbits, they somehow end up minimizing each other's smell. I guess they also keep each other warm.

David PS

Chickens can handle cold, but not wind. Protect them from wind and rain and they will be fine. I read of someone's chickens in northern Canada or Alaska surviving -60 F.
Wow, thanks for the info.

Grapelander

View attachment 40030
They do not sleep in it. You just move them from place to place to forage.
So if you just cleared the garden - you bring them over to eat bugs and weed seeds.
Otherwise they will eat everything in your garden.
It also keeps the chicken hawks away. I saw a chicken get killed by a hawk a couple months back. Feathers everywhere.
There are larger ones with wheels and coop.

David PS

They do not sleep in it. You just move them from place to place to forage.
So if you just cleared the garden - you bring them over to eat bugs and weed seeds.
Otherwise they will eat everything in your garden.
It also keeps the chicken hawks away. I saw a chicken get killed by a hawk a couple months back. Feathers everywhere.
There are larger ones with wheels and coop.
Thanks, I have much to learn.

David PS

OP
P

Peatness

Sneaky Guardian

From the article

Their extreme wealth and privilege served only to make them obsessed with insulating themselves from the very real and present danger of climate change, rising sea levels, mass migrations, global pandemics, nativist panic and resource depletion. For them, the future of technology is about only one thing: escape from the rest of us.

AspiringSage

Consider adding dried blueberry powder to your emergency preps. It keeps well, is very nutritious, and low PUFA. I haven’t encountered much on blueberries and peating. I think they are considered acceptable/beneficial in moderation. This will allow you to rotate your stock before they age out vs stockpiling something definitively less peaty.

AspiringSage

If anyone knows about portable house batteries please post info, thanks

I was trained and worked as an electrician and HVAC technician before attending university to pursue other endeavors. I’ll run down some general information for people and post it when I get a spare moment.

What are you attempting to power and for what length of time? What’s your budget and what country do you reside within? Electrical codes and acceptable practices vary significantly country to country.

OP
P

Peatness

I was trained and worked as an electrician and HVAC technician before attending university to pursue other endeavors. I’ll run down some general information for people and post it when I get a spare moment.

What are you attempting to power and for what length of time? What’s your budget and what country do you reside within? Electrical codes and acceptable practices vary significantly country to country.
Nothing too fancy, just to power the electrical appliances in the kitchen mostly for a few days if power failed. I’m in the UK.

Jam

Nothing too fancy, just to power the electrical appliances in the kitchen mostly for a few days if power failed. I’m in the UK.
I would consider buying a pre-built solar generator (such as the Ecoflow River or Delta, depending on financial situation and type of appliances you would need to use), which can be charged from a household socket or solar panels. Or you can build one yourself for less money, which is what I just did, and you don't need to be a licensed electrician to do so.

Back
Top Bottom