Heart Attacks

Birdie

I just got one of those emails that advise calling for help, taking aspirin and taking deep breaths.
Then, some controversy about coughing very hard...

What would Peat say? I seem to remember something about Magnesium. He wouldn't recommend
deep breaths. o_O

The man who sent this one is a former CPR instructor and EMT. He said the cough technique required training otherwise dangerous... ?

tara

I just got one of those emails that advise calling for help, taking aspirin and taking deep breaths.
Then, some controversy about coughing very hard...

What would Peat say? I seem to remember something about Magnesium. He wouldn't recommend
deep breaths. o_O

I don't know what Peat would say.

This is my speculation. I think people can mean different things by deep breaths. For some people, when they think deep breaths, they actually slow right down, and depending on how fast they were breathing before, sometimes this can reduce the volume of air exchanged over time - ie reduce hyperventilation. For others, if one just deepens the breath without slowing down more than enough to compensate, then it could increase hyperventilation. I wonder if there may also be some signals involved in using the diaphragm that are useful, that you don't get by breathing shallow clavicular/thoracic only?

Here's a page that discusses breathing and heart attacks that takes CO2 into account:
How to Stop a Heart Attack Naturally

OP
B

Birdie

I don't know what Peat would say.

This is my speculation. I think people can mean different things by deep breaths. For some people, when they think deep breaths, they actually slow right down, and depending on how fast they were breathing before, sometimes this can reduce the volume of air exchanged over time - ie reduce hyperventilation. For others, if one just deepens the breath without slowing down more than enough to compensate, then it could increase hyperventilation. I wonder if there may also be some signals involved in using the diaphragm that are useful, that you don't get by breathing shallow clavicular/thoracic only?

Here's a page that discusses breathing and heart attacks that takes CO2 into account:
How to Stop a Heart Attack Naturally
Ok, I'll look at that link. But, your ideas makes sense. Slowing down could apply to somebody panicy. And working the diaphragm very interesting.

achillea

Strophantin, the elixir of the old. Used in Germany in the early 1900's in the rural mining towns as the people could not get to a hospital. Incredible results on stopping heart attacks. Becoming very popular to have on hand. Lots of info on the net. It is an herb.

OP
B

Birdie

It was great. The email came from a friend of my husband. So, it gives me a window for handing a little info to him while he is interested.
Yesterday, I broached the idea of his taping his mouth at night. Has been uninterested but perhaps ....
It would be another thing to do in his quest for lowering estrogen.
Thanks for the input and all.

OP
B

Birdie

Strophantin, the elixir of the old. Used in Germany in the early 1900's in the rural mining towns as the people could not get to a hospital. Incredible results on stopping heart attacks. Becoming very popular to have on hand. Lots of info on the net. It is an herb.
Thank you. Will check it. This heart attack thing is a concern cuz am old and husband older.

tara

Yesterday, I broached the idea of his taping his mouth at night. Has been uninterested but perhaps ....
Good luck. I so recommend this for anyone who habitually breathes through their mouth at night.

I think there may be a bit of evidence around pointing to chinstraps as beneficial against CVD, esp if there is any sleep apnoea happening.

baggywrinkle

I had a heart attack ,felt like being winded,hit and confused
got progest e out and rubbed heaps on my chest area
when I got checked out the doctors couldn't figure it out, ie angina or a heart attack but after ultra sound it was concluded I had a heart attack but without much damage,,
thankyou Ray Peat and progesterone

L

lollipop

when I got checked out the doctors couldn't figure it out, ie angina or a heart attack but after ultra sound it was concluded I had a heart attack but without much damage,,
WoW. Thanks for sharing @baggywrinkle and smart idea you had!

OP
B

Birdie

Good to know. Thank you for letting us know.
And I guess, if you got out the progest-E and rubbed it in, you were thinking about helping yourself rather than giving in to panic..
And maybe that made you breathe more gently rather than gasping for a lot of air.

tara

Fantastic - glad you were still up to thinking and acting on this at the time!

:woot:

OP
B

Birdie

Maybe the magnesium was for another condition...I seem to recall that the Mg dose was for stroke.
I bought a bottle of liquid just in case. Really should label these things so they can be used if an emergency should come up.

Lore

Birdie,
Just the other day I had something happen (maybe a heart issue). 11:00 am; Was just quietly reading and all of a sudden a severe pain welling up in my liver area, getting very sick to my stomach, couldn't catch my breath, got scared! Reached for a cayenne capsule, called my husband to come home (30 min from home) and then took my blood pressure. 196/114. I did pursed breathing and took another cayenne capsule in 15 min. Every 15 min until pain/blood pressure returned to normal. 11:10; 11:20; 11:40; 12:25 (cayenne (40,000 H.U. (heat unit))). By 12:25 felt normal 125/80 - 65 HR.

1:30 pm seem to start returning, took cayenne. 175/110 - 77 HR, ate a banana, took 2 more cayenne. 1:55 was ok again. 138/84 .. hasn't been back since. I did a magnesium/Epsom salt foot bath. Rested the rest of the day. Next day BP was 117/71 - 64 HR .. been fine since.

I don't do pharmaceuticals, doctors or hospitals. I haven't been able to find one I trust yet. If I die, I will die at home.

I will religiously take (1) cayenne, 3x/day for the rest of my life, for good measure, what will it hurt? This was the 1st and only time I have ever had anything close to a heart issue. I learned this from Dr. Christopher http://www.herballegacy.com/Heart_1-5_Page2.html , and had the opportunity to try it on myself for proof. To me, this was proof. He goes on to say that by taking cayenne religiously, even if you have a heart attack, you won't have heart damage.

Dr. Christopher recommends hot cayenne tea, had I been able to walk and help myself, I may have done this. The capsules were the quickest thing I could get my hands on. I carry cayenne tincture in my purse while I'm away from home, but it is too hot without liquid, but it will work in a pinch. (40,000 H.U. (heat unit)).

From my experience, for what it's may be worth. ;)

Was just quietly reading and all of a sudden a severe pain welling up in my liver area, getting very sick to my stomach, couldn't catch my breath, got scared!

But that's not where the heart is :shock:

Lore

I agree, however, my understanding of heart attack pain, it can be felt in other areas, other than the actual heart muscle. I looked this up after it happened and I believe I found that it is common for women to have pain in the abdomen area above the belly button. My excruciating pain was actually located just below my sternum. The pain built to excruciating, within appx. a min.

OP
B

Birdie

I looked at the strophantin link, and then, went to other links. I've gotten tired of all the study and working out solutions. However, that's how it is.

I've just spent a couple of months protecting my husband from questionable testing. First, a CT scan, then a colonoscopy... it never ends.

But all this heart attack discussion here, reminded me of a heart valve problem he's always had. Every 5 years or so, he's gotten some tests . But, after he hit 80, the system became not so anxious to do them.

Lore

What I heard was, if one is over the age of 70 or 75 "the system (O'care)" instructs "no lifesaving measures, keep them comfortable until ..." :shh:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals