Fart Pill

WayneSmith

David Sinclair the guy working on NMN says in an article that using H2S together with Nicotinamide Mononucleotide increases the exercise performance of mice from 160% for NMN alone to 200%. Hydrogen Sulfide expands the arteries and lowers blood pressure. Hypertension is the number one killer in North America.

Discovery offers hope for improving physical performance as we age

Unfortunately there is no Fart Pill but I've found something similar called Nitric Oxide. Early in life we produce sufficient amounts of NO in the inner lining of our arteries which keeps them expanded to allow a good supply of oxygen to all of our organs. A natural remedy was developed and sold as Neo40. Sounds like it does exactly the same thing as H2S. Originally it was a treatment for erectile dysfunction and it’s available in health food stores.

Could this pill win the Nobel Prize?

Dr Nathan S. Bryan, at Baylor College of Medicine at the Texas Medical Center in Houston, is a world authority on NO. He suggests one tablet twice a day for two weeks, to be slowly dissolved in the mouth. Then one daily after there’s a good blood level of NO.

I'm already taking 5 x 125mg NMN capsules a day from AliveByNature. Since the fart pill doesn't exist should I take Neo40 instead?

ddjd

you've got mixed up. Peat is massively anti-Nitric Oxide. it's not a good idea at all

benaoao

This dichotomic approach of NO (“bad guy”) makes little sense. It’s kinda like DHT (“good” or “bad” depending on this forum or hair loss forums), or cholesterol (good, or bad, or both?) or estrogens and so on.

It’s about why they rise too high, what isoforms are we talking about, or what enzymatic activity, what site in the body... and then defining what’s optimal in an individual context, knowing that we’re typically following a U-shape

OP
WayneSmith

WayneSmith

you've got mixed up. Peat is massively anti-Nitric Oxide. it's not a good idea at all

Hi Joeyd. Why am I mixed up? Why is Peat massively anti-Nitric Oxide? Why is it not a good idea at all? I didn't even know about it until I read the article about Hydrogen Sulfide which gives it a mention. If it's a natural remedy, made by the body and sold in health stores without a prescription necessary then how bad can it be? Hydrogen Sulfide works synergistically with NMN to improve exercise performance by 100% so wouldn't NO do the same? Your vague undetailed reply tells me very little.

Hi benaoao. Are you saying NO causes something to rise too high? It lowers blood pressure. Expands the arteries. Are you saying they could expand too much? The precursor enzyme it would work with is NMN. Nicotinamide Mononucleotide.

Maybe I should have gone to Quora. This forum was probably a mistake. I'm looking for professional advice. Thanks anyway. Found this place while searching out data on NMN but it's clearly not what I thought it was.

tara

If it's a natural remedy, made by the body and sold in health stores without a prescription necessary then how bad can it be?
There are quite a few substances that can have apparent short-term benefits but longer-term harm., for instance some of the things that stimulate or emulate stress mechanisms.

"Health" stores are businesses that sell things that some people think are good for health. To some extent it's a marketing term, rather than evidence of the healthfulness of the products.

I think it might be a bit of an exaggeration to say that Peat is massively against nitric oxide. As you say, the body produces it in some circumstances, and it has its purposes. But Peat has written and spoken about his concerns about excess NO, and has pointed to it's possible involvement in the development of some kinds of dysfunction. I'd be skeptical about there being long term-benefit in artificially raising it in an ongoing way, and there might well be down-sides.

If you are interested, here are some quotes from Peat:
Search

Last edited:

lampofred

You sound like you're pretty set in your views, but someone has to at least try to show you why nitric oxide is bad for you if you've made it all the way to Ray Peat Forum... Some of Peat's quotes on nitric oxide:

“The basic control of blood flow in the brain is the result of the relaxation of the wall of blood vessels in the presence of carbon dioxide, which is produced in proportion to the rate at which oxygen and glucose are being metabolically combined by active cells. In the inability of cells to produce CO2 at a normal rate, nitric oxide synthesis in blood vessels can cause them to dilate. The mechanism of relaxation by NO is very different, however, involving the inhibition of mitochondrial energy production (Barron, et al., 2001). Situations that favor the production and retention of larger amounts of carbon dioxide in the tissues are likely to reduce the basic “tone” of the parasympathetic nervous system, and there is less need for additional vasodilation.”

“Nitric oxide is increasingly seen as an important factor in nerve degeneration (Doherty, 2011). Nitric oxide activates processes (Obukuro, et al., 2013) that can lead to cell death. Inhibition on the production of nitric oxide protects again various kinds of dementia (Sharma & Sharma, 2013, Sharma & Singh, 2013). Brain trauma cases large increase in nitric oxide formation, and blocking its synthesis improves recovery (Huttenmann, et al., 2008); Gahn, et al., 2006)."

"Serotonin doesn’t “cure depression,” and both serotonin and nitric oxide impair circulation and are toxic to brain cells. Both of them poison mitochondrial respiration. Estrogen increases the viscosity of blood, and impairs circulation and oxygenation in many other ways.”

“Nitric oxide, a third cultic substance along with serotonin and estrogen, is invoked as a normalizer of brain circulation and protector of nerve cells from peroxidation. Whether a substance is an antioxidant or pro-oxidant depends on its environment, and both nitric oxide and estrogen are pro-oxidants, promoters of lipid peroxidation and other forms of cell damage, under a variety of physiological situations.”

"Estrogen is just one of the intrinsic excitatory substances, which are produced by stress, and which participate in self-stimulating loops. Ammonia and nitric oxide are two of the most pervasive endogenous excitants and toxins. NO [nitric oxide] is emerging as an important endogenously-derived neurotoxin” (Dawson and Dawson, 1995)."

He has very anti-mainstream views on nitric oxide, serotonin, and estrogen. If you're still interested in reading more, several more of Ray Peat's quotes on nitric oxide can be found at Ray Peat, PhD on Nitric Oxide – Functional Performance Systems (FPS) and his complete articles can be found at raypeat.com.

Last edited:
OP
WayneSmith

WayneSmith

Thanks. I suspected there must be a reason David Sinclair was so excited about Hydrogen Sulfide when NO already dilates blood vessels and is already available. Would love to know how he administers HS to mice. Guess I'll just have to wait for the Fart Pill to be invented. It couldn't be as simple as using an eyedropper to put HS into a capsule. Could it? I'd have to calculate the toxicity levels and optimum dosage before taking it anyway. Pity.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals