Doctor prescribed high dose doxycilline after removing infected ingrown toenail, need advice

TMCMac

Hello yall,

I recently had an ingrown tow nail temoved with local anesthesia and it was infected. The doctors usually prescribe antibiotics post procedure like this to prevent further infection.

My doctor prescribed me 500 mg doxycilline every 8 hour for 7 days.

My question is is that dose required to prevent infection or is it overkilk? Would there be any detriments to such a high dose or any adverse ffects like completelykilling all gut flora? Would a lower dose provide the same benefit? Seems a bit over kill but not sure what the literature says about these things? Any advice would be great. Ive had taken high doses like these befoe amoxicillin to be exact and theyve messed up my gut in the past. Trying to weight out the risk/benefits thanks!

Hello yall,

I recently had an ingrown tow nail temoved with local anesthesia and it was infected. The doctors usually prescribe antibiotics post procedure like this to prevent further infection.

My doctor prescribed me 500 mg doxycilline every 8 hour for 7 days.

My question is is that dose required to prevent infection or is it overkilk? Would there be any detriments to such a high dose or any adverse ffects like completelykilling all gut flora? Would a lower dose provide the same benefit? Seems a bit over kill but not sure what the literature says about these things? Any advice would be great. Ive had taken high doses like these befoe amoxicillin to be exact and theyve messed up my gut in the past. Trying to weight out the risk/benefits thanks!
Boy that is a tough situation. What did you end up deciding?

Perry Staltic

I'd do a probiotic during and/or after taking the doxy. When an antibiotic turned my poop into runny mucous I flipped out, stopped the treatment, went to Walmart that night to get one of their probiotics with something like 50 billion CFUs and downed about 10-15 caps. Poops were back to normal in the morning.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
We had a young guy in his 20’s go septic from an infected toenail and he required a ventilator, IV antibiotics and dialysis. It was a rough situation and a long recovery. Although this is certainly not common I figured I’d mention it just in case. If it were me I’d probably take the antibiotic along with probiotics and especially s.boulardii.

OP
TMCMac

TMCMac

We had a young guy in his 20’s go septic from an infected toenail and he required a ventilator, IV antibiotics and dialysis. It was a rough situation and a long recovery. Although this is certainly not common I figured I’d mention it just in case. If it were me I’d probably take the antibiotic along with probiotics and especially s.boulardii.
Damn lol. Nevermind Ill take the antibiotics as prescribed 😂😂 thanks for that perspective. Any particular probiotics youd reccommend or specific brands or blends? Probably gonna go to a whole foods because by the time I get an online ordered probiotic itll be too long. Ive heard something like sulfur would be good to prevent opportunistic fungi. Any thoughts on that thanks again guys!

Perry Staltic

Damn lol. Nevermind Ill take the antibiotics as prescribed 😂😂 thanks for that perspective. Any particular probiotics youd reccommend or specific brands or blends? Probably gonna go to a whole foods because by the time I get an online ordered probiotic itll be too long. Ive heard something like sulfur would be good to prevent opportunistic fungi. Any thoughts on that thanks again guys!

Get something that has various bacteria types. Also, Aldi has a good organic unflavored Greek yogurt that has some good strains in it.

:M :B.

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 8.57.03 PM.png

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’d take Perry’s advice on the probiotics but I’d add florastor or something similar. As a beneficial yeast it will temporarily take up space in the bowels to help prevent pathological strains from overgrowth. It’s been around a while and helps prevent c-diff in situations where high dose antibiotics are needed.

TheCodez

I'd be more comfortable doing this with Doxy than any other abx. So there's that.

Perry Staltic

I’d take Perry’s advice on the probiotics but I’d add florastor or something similar. As a beneficial yeast it will temporarily take up space in the bowels to help prevent pathological strains from overgrowth. It’s been around a while and helps prevent c-diff in situations where high dose antibiotics are needed.

How come I've never had a doctor or vet recommend this kind of advice? I know, dumb, rhetorical question. The best I've ever gotten is something like "yeah you could do that" after asking if it would be a good thing to do. I've given up on them.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
How come I've never had a doctor or vet recommend this kind of advice? I know, dumb, rhetorical question. The best I've ever gotten is something like "yeah you could do that" after asking if it would be a good thing to do. I've given up on them.
Perhaps there’s more repeat business when the treatment causes new problems! I don’t think that’s true for every provider but there is the factor of ignorance when providers either don’t have the time to learn new things or have too much pride to consider some of their practices are potentially causing avoidable harm. It’s quite a mess and hard to believe with all of our technology we can’t do better with simple human health issues!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It’s even harder to understand why more people in general don’t see this glaring problem especially medical workers.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom