Daily THC edibles shrink testes and reduce sperm count in monkeys

imcoconut

“Our analysis of the collected samples found that THC use was associated with significant adverse impacts to the animals’ reproductive hormones, including decreased levels of testosterone and severe testicular shrinkage. Specifically, we observed a greater than 50% decrease in testicular size,” said the study’s senior author Jamie Lo, M.D., M.C.R., associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology (perinatology and maternal-fetal medicine), OHSU School of Medicine, and Division of Reproductive & Developmental Sciences, Oregon National Primate Research Center at OHSU. “Unfortunately, these effects appeared to worsen as the THC dose was increased, suggesting a possible dose-dependent effect.”

The same group also found similar negative impacts in female reproductive health from a previous study:

“In just a short time period, we observed irregularity in the animals’ reproductive cycles,” said the study’s lead author Jamie Lo, M.D., MCR, associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology (perinatology and maternal-fetal medicine), OHSU School of Medicine, and Division of Reproductive & Developmental Sciences, Oregon National Primate Research Center. “Overall, menstrual periods were longer in duration and levels of follicle stimulating hormone, one of the critical regulators for the body’s reproductive function, increased. These factors suggest the strong potential for reproductive system dysfunction that, in turn, may impact the ability to become pregnant.”

These were edibles so this wouldn't be due to estrogenic effects of smoke/burned plant matter. Also it looks like this was specifically THC. I believe there have been studies showing positive effects (or non-negative effects) on testosterone/androgens with other cannabinoids, including CBD. Perhaps the combination can counteract the negative effects of pure THC.

Sapien

Ouch , good thing I'm not a man😉
Have you noticed you don’t have dreams as a pot smoker?

Very concerning for me and the only reason I quit after being a long term stoner.

Rem sleep is very important

Sapien

“Our analysis of the collected samples found that THC use was associated with significant adverse impacts to the animals’ reproductive hormones, including decreased levels of testosterone and severe testicular shrinkage. Specifically, we observed a greater than 50% decrease in testicular size,” said the study’s senior author Jamie Lo, M.D., M.C.R., associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology (perinatology and maternal-fetal medicine), OHSU School of Medicine, and Division of Reproductive & Developmental Sciences, Oregon National Primate Research Center at OHSU. “Unfortunately, these effects appeared to worsen as the THC dose was increased, suggesting a possible dose-dependent effect.”
Wow that’s an insane finding thanks for posting

Last edited:

Sapien

These were edibles so this wouldn't be due to estrogenic effects of smoke/burned plant matter.
This is a great point; very important takeaway.

I was under the impression that it was only the MSC (smoke condinsate) that impacted hormones, as the other studies I saw only saw decreased testosterone from the smoke itself. Due to this misconception; I used to “vaporize” and take edibles rather than smoke it.
Seems as though this doesn’t mitigate the harmful hormonal effects

Last edited:

Sapien

Also it looks like this was specifically THC. I believe there have been studies showing positive effects (or non-negative effects) on testosterone/androgens with other cannabinoids, including CBD. Perhaps the combination can counteract the negative effects of pure THC.
I have always wondered what type of ill effects could arise from selectively breeding high THC low CBD strains; would not surprise me if the combo is less harmful on hormones.

Cloudhands

itd be interesting to see the study. I havent met a human whos testosterone dropped because of weed smoke

LadyRae

Have you noticed you don’t have dreams as a pot smoker?

Very concerning for me and the only reason I quit after being a long term stoner.

Rem sleep is very important
I dream a lot! But I don't smoke... Once a week or so I'll have a sativa/CBD gummy that slowly dissolve under my tongue...

I also haven't drank alcohol for over 3 years now.... THAT improved my sleep more than anything before or since...

My menstrual cycles still last 5 days just as they have for many years before I ever tried a THC or CBD product ...

But in all seriousness, I'm not surprised by the study. Isn't marijuana estrogenic? Just the smoke? I really try to limit my consumption regardless...

Interestingly though, both my brother and my cousin smoked a huge amount of marijuana in high school and they are both quite tall (6'4" and 6'3") and muscular with defined, square jaws. Defies all the generalizations

Stilgar

I would think there could be some other factors involved than solely the effect of THC.

THC is often associated with laziness and sedentary behaviour, and without attention to muscle development, cortisol and estrogen would no doubt increase, especially in women, alongside the reported decreases in testosterone.

THC also makes you very hungry, lowers blood sugar (and blood pressure) and no doubt, PUFA in the diet and PUFA stores will contribute to its deleterious effects. Edibles also last much longer as a high, potentially increasing the window for poor food choices and potential tobacco smoking (which is associated with marijuana use and comes with its own estrogenic effects).

We all seek substances under stress, and the hype both for and against THC seems slightly irrational. In my experience though,
nothing beats THC (vaping, personally) for inducing sleep under stressful circumstances and I think from there you can act accordingly, taking healthy breaks and develop healthy habits where you need to.

ThinPicking

Here is the study.

Even real edibles made with the most dank, crossbred and/or hydroponic product available wouldn't be comparable to its premise. You can probably find an isolate in most plants that would suppress some aspect of gonadal function. Go figure.

That said, I'd advise people to stay away from "skunk" (dank, crossbred and/or hydroponic product), use something closer to that you'd find in nature and be mindful about how you're using it.

Somewhat shamefully, many years ago I was lying to a clinic to get count and motility studies for free. On the idea it would be a good proxy marker for general health and wellbeing. Results were more encouraging for me to be more careful in the act than cut out one of the myriad ways I was abusing my avatar at the time. However that's not an endorsement for excessive hedonism. There's more to life.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom