Cellular Implications of Excessive Sugar Consumption Highlighted

Warrior

The average American eats roughly 22 teaspoons of added sugar a day — more than three times the recommended amount for women and more than double the recommended amount for men.

Although this overconsumption is known to contribute to Type 2 diabetes and other disorders, the exact ways in which eating too much sugar sets the stage for metabolic diseases on a cellular level has been less clear.

Now, a team led by Van Andel Institute scientists has found that surplus sugar may cause our cellular powerplants — called mitochondria— to become less efficient, reducing their energy output.

The findings, published today in Cell Reports, highlight the cellular implications of excessive sugar consumption and provide an important new model to study the initial metabolic events that may contribute to diabetes development.

“The body needs sugar, or glucose, to survive, but, as the saying goes: ‘All good things in moderation,’” said Ning Wu, Ph.D., an assistant professor at Van Andel Institute and corresponding author of the study. “We found that too much glucose in cells, which is directly linked to the amount of sugar consumed in one’s diet, affects lipid composition throughout the body, which in turn affects the integrity of mitochondria. The overall effect is a loss of optimal function.”

Using their new model, Wu and her colleagues demonstrated that excess glucose reduces the concentration of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in the mitochondrial membrane and makes mitochondria less efficient. PUFAs are vital players in supporting mitochondrial function and mediating a host of other biological processes such as inflammation, blood pressure and cellular communication.

Instead, excess glucose is synthesized into a different form of fatty acid that isn’t as efficient or as flexible as PUFAs.
This upends the lipid composition of the membrane and puts stress on the mitochondria, damaging them and impacting their performance.

Wu and her colleagues were able to reverse this detrimental effect by feeding their mouse models a low-sugar ketogenic diet, which suggests that reducing glucose and restoring normal membrane lipid composition supports healthy mitochondrial integrity and function. They also found that consuming excess carbohydrates reduces the beneficial effect of PUFA supplements.

“Although we may not always notice the difference in mitochondrial performance right away, our bodies do,” Wu explained. “If the lipid balance is thrown off for long enough, we may begin to feel subtle changes, such as tiring more quickly. While our study does not offer medical recommendations, it does illuminate the early stages of metabolic disease and provides insights that may shape future prevention and therapeutic efforts.”

Reference: Waldhart AN, Muhire B, Johnson B, et al. Excess dietary carbohydrate affects mitochondrial integrity as observed in brown adipose tissue. Cell Rep. 2021;36(5). doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2021.109488

Jennifer

Using their new model, Wu and her colleagues demonstrated that excess glucose reduces the concentration of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in the mitochondrial membrane and makes mitochondria less efficient. PUFAs are vital players in supporting mitochondrial function and mediating a host of other biological processes such as inflammation, blood pressure and cellular communication.

Hmm…I think I need to up my sugar intake.

Momma

Are you supporting this or refuting this?
Thus far I’ve seen @Warrior encourage mask wearing; then post the Eye of Horus on a Jesus thread. Now a study about the benefits of PUFA and or problems with sugar?
“PUFAs are vital players in supporting mitochondrial function and mediating a host of other biological processes such as inflammation, blood pressure and cellular communication.”

@charlie or @Blossom
Can this title have the antiPeat banner in front of it? Is this a troll account? A troublemaker?

Jessie

Doctor Wu needs to be introduced to the concept of a "self-own." If they're trying to make a case for a high-fat diet they shouldn't make sugar look like the good guy.

OP
Warrior

Warrior

Hmm…I think I need to up my sugar intake.

Its definitely an interesting observation, isn't it?

Jessie

Is this a troll account? A troublemaker?
I don't think so, looks like they're highlighting the part about sugar reducing PUFA in the cells. Which is definitely interesting to our side of the fence. A lot of researches and doctors have unintentionally highlighted the merits of PUFA reduction.

Like Walt Kempner's work. In fact, I'd say his is probably the most famous case study. This study adds further context that a pure sugar diet, like the one he used, does indeed deplete PUFA in the mitochondria. And he reversed all kinds of "incurable" diseases in people. Ranging from kidney failure, to diabetes, to enlarged hearts.

OP
Warrior

Warrior

2017-03-20_16-16-50.png

iu

Momma

I don't think so, looks like they're highlighting the part about sugar reducing PUFA in the cells. Which is definitely interesting to our side of the fence. A lot of researches and doctors have unintentionally highlighted the merits of PUFA reduction.

Like Walt Kempner's work. In fact, I'd say his is probably the most famous case study. This study adds further context that a pure sugar diet, like the one he used, does indeed deplete PUFA in the mitochondria. And he reversed all kinds of "incurable" diseases in people. Ranging from kidney failure, to diabetes, to enlarged hearts.
I will reread the data above in the original post. I think you should too. Thank you.

Jennifer

Doctor Wu needs to be introduced to the concept of a "self-own." If they're trying to make a case for a high-fat diet they shouldn't make sugar look like the good guy.

LOL

Its definitely an interesting observation, isn't it?

It sure is. I know a few people who treated their Crohn’s and UC with a fruit-based diet and when I had chronic gastritis, fruit was the only food I could digest.

OP
Warrior

Warrior

Yes, definitely found that intriguing as they often point to pretty much anything but PUFA for stomach disorders. Dairy and gluten are favorites and whilst I agree both aren't good for weak guts I find the total absence of the PUFA factor quite odd and thought the board may find it of interest as the highlights in the OP resonate with Peats perspective and validate his hypothesis of high sugar consumption and its links as mentioned.

Even if the author didn't intend this when researching!

The further obesity links and increased collective consumption speak for themselves when you see the citizens waddling around after being filled with various covert and overt seed oils.

As always draw your own conclusions and look before leaping as things may not be as they seem in the fields of science (or your own bias) but what sticks out is always worth noting and thinking on deeply...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Are you supporting this or refuting this?
Thus far I’ve seen @Warrior encourage mask wearing; then post the Eye of Horus on a Jesus thread. Now a study about the benefits of PUFA and or problems with sugar?
“PUFAs are vital players in supporting mitochondrial function and mediating a host of other biological processes such as inflammation, blood pressure and cellular communication.”

@charlie or @Blossom
Can this title have the antiPeat banner in front of it? Is this a troll account? A troublemaker?

Thank you for the alert.

Limon9

"Given the importance of the C22:6 contribution to membrane fluidity, the lipidomics results implied that the KO mitochondria had stiffer and less flexible mitochondrial membranes."

"A high GP (general polarization) value is usually associated with low fluidity or low polarity of the membranes. As implied by the lipidomics data, mitochondria isolated from KO mice did have higher GP than those from WT (Figure 4F). At the same time, we saw the rescue of the difference by the ketogenic diet. In fact, the ketogenic diet has increased the mitochondrial membrane fluidity in both WT and KO mice compared to the aging diet."

Amazing.

CastorTroy

Cell membrane structure is composed of polyunsaturated lipids for a reason. Thtat's why a fraction of pufa is to be contained in a healthy diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals