Cartilage/bone health depends on oxidative metabolism

haidut

Forum Supporter
A good study that demonstrates yet another "structural" aspect of health - the strength and growth or our cartilage/bones - is heavily dependent on proper mitochondrial function. As such, even minor disruptions of oxidative metabolism can lead to long-term deformations in bone/cartilage, which is often corroborated by the facial deformities and other bone pathologies in adults who have been abused as children. Furthermore, the raging epidemic of bone diseases in most "developed" countries should probably be viewed as a good "biomarker" of just how poor our environmental conditions and metabolisms are. At least, we now know what the root cause of the problem is and how it can be addressed, without the need for expensive medical "treatments" that do little more than enrich the medical industry and destroy us.

Mitochondrial respiratory chain function promotes extracellular matrix integrity in cartilage
"..."...As a model system, the scientists used mutant mice with selective genetic inactivation of the mitochondrial respiratory chain in cartilage tissue. The researchers reported that in one-month-old mutant mice a central area of the articular cartilage at the head of the femur bone in the upper thigh expanded abnormally showing disorganized cartilage cells (chondrocytes) and excessive extracellular matrix. Through the scRNA-Seq analysis, the researchers also uncovered reduced mitochondrial respiratory chain genes in a group of chondrocytes and a unique regulation of genes that synthesized the extracellular matrix in cartilage cells that do not face the hip joint (non-articular chondrocytes). These changes in gene expression are linked to changes in the composition, structure, and stiffness of the extracellular matrix in mature cartilage tissue, particularly a change in the amount of collagen in the cartilage tissue and the degree to which the elastic collagen fibers are crosslinked to form a stable mesh. The team showed that loss of mitochondrial respiration led to disorganization, expansion, and stiffening of the cartilage matrix due to impaired metabolic signaling and consequent changes in the composition and mechanical properties of the cartilage. “These results demonstrated that mitochondrial respiratory chain dysfunction is a key factor that can promote extracellular matrix integrity and mechanostability in cartilage and presumably also in many other tissues,” the authors concluded."

Michael Mohn

Eating enough gelatin should still be beneficial, right? Didn't you mention a study that glycine restores glucose metabolism?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Eating enough gelatin should still be beneficial, right? Didn't you mention a study that glycine restores glucose metabolism?

Yep, glycine/geltain should help, both directly as a building block of bones (30% of bones is gelatin) and as a pro-energetic supplement. Speaking of the latter, the study you probably had in mind is this:

Michael Mohn

Yep, glycine/geltain should help, both directly as a building block of bones (30% of bones is gelatin) and as a pro-energetic supplement. Speaking of the latter, the study you probably had in mind is this:

:thumbup

Sefton10

Yep, glycine/geltain should help, both directly as a building block of bones (30% of bones is gelatin) and as a pro-energetic supplement.
Do you see any issues with glycine powders given their synthetic manufacturing process (I don't do well with gelatin due to the arginine)? There's lots available that say 100% glycine, but not sure how pure they will be.

I did find this analysis for one in the UK showing about 99.4% purity, but again not sure if the 0.6% is anything to worry about!

1634812010727.png

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you see any issues with glycine powders given their synthetic manufacturing process (I don't do well with gelatin due to the arginine)? There's lots available that say 100% glycine, but not sure how pure they will be.

I did find this analysis for one in the UK showing about 99.4% purity, but again not sure if the 0.6% is anything to worry about!

View attachment 29232

It is a good start if a powder has COA, but ultimately the only real test is how it affects you. Usually, if there is an allergen of some sort it manifests pretty quickly in the form of intestinal irritation and/or declining mood.

Tim Lundeen

My concern with glycine supplements is fluoride content. Also a problem with bone broth... Would love to find one with low measured fluoride.

Dr. B

wow, what are the other 70% besides calcium/phosphorus...

View attachment 29232

what about the actual sourcing
magnesium glycinate even the best brands, dont seem to digest smoothly like magnesium aspartate. i think the source material for glycine could be poor these days similar to citric acid, vitamin c, etc.

David PS

wow, what are the other 70% besides calcium/phosphorus...

Basically, the protein provides the scaffolding for the minerals to attach.

c471634b1292b3d7ea3231bdb48a33a4.png