Can You Look At My Diet Please

TammCon

I'm a newb female, 49 yo and am learning a little each day. This is what I'm planning to eat spread out over 4-5 small meals. I know it's not perfect, but could use some wisdom if I'm on the right track. Thx.

6 oz. cod
4 cups OJ
4 cups skim milk
8 oz. boiled collards
1 cup parmesan
1 shredded carrot
6 T Great Lakes gelatin
2 aspirin
=1709 cals, 3600 calcium, 2800 phosphorus

Last edited:

Zechariah

TammCon

It would be a good idea to lower your intake of phosphorous to less than 1400 mg a day versus the 2800 mg. The reasons should become obvious but in the meantime, please consider the following even though the first studied cited refers to men the second study should sound alarm bells that it is not a good thing to consume more than 1400 mg. I hope this helps you.

Disease:
Indian J Exp Biol. 1999 Jul;37(7):623-6.
Phosphorus balance and prostate cancer.
Kapur S.
Prostatic diseases affect men over the age of 45 and increase in frequency with age so that by the eighth decade more than 90% of men have Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, (BPH), of which some progress to Carcinoma of Prostate (CaP). CaP, the most common malignancy in men, is also the second most common cause of death in men. Over the last three decades the mortality rate for CaP has steadily increased. There, however, are scant clues to the aetiology/pathogenesis of CaP. As treatment failures of advanced carcinoma continue to frustrate clinicians, emphasis has recently been focused on possible preventive strategies. Several studies support the view that higher levels of 1,25-(OH)2D, the active metabolite of vitamin D, reduce the risk of BPH and CaP. Men with high serum levels of 1,25-(OH)2D have a reduced risk of poorly differentiated and clinically advanced CaP. Hypercalcemic activity of 1,25-(OH)2D or its analogues, however, thwart their use for therapy in humans. Incidentally, a low dietary intake of phosphorus has been reported to increase serum levels of 1,25-(OH)2D. In addition, dietary fructose reduces plasma phosphate levels by 30 to 50% for more than 3 hr. Fruit intake has, indeed, been shown to be associated with reduced risk of CaP, particularly the advanced type. These observations, taken together, support that dietary determinants of hypophosphatemia, leading to increased plasma levels of 1,25-(OH)2D, could reduce the risk of ageing men to develop prostatic diseases, both BPH and/or carcinoma of Prostate.

Phosphorus intake over 1400 mg per day raises all-cause mortality.

Am J Clin Nutr February 2014 vol. 99 no. 2 320-327
High dietary phosphorus intake is associated with all-cause mortality: results from NHANES III
Alex R Chang, Mariana Lazo, Lawrence J Appel, Orlando M Gutiérrez, and Morgan E Grams
Background: Elevated serum phosphorus is associated with all-cause mortality, but little is known about risk associated with dietary phosphorus intake.
Objective: We investigated the association between phosphorus intake and mortality in a prospective cohort of healthy US adults (NHANES III; 1998–1994).
Design: Study participants were 9686 nonpregnant adults aged 20–80 y without diabetes, cancer, or kidney or cardiovascular disease. Exposure to dietary phosphorus, which was assessed by using a 24-h dietary recall, was expressed as the absolute intake and phosphorus density (phosphorus intake divided by energy intake). All-cause and cardiovascular mortality was assessed through 31 December 2006.
Results: Median phosphorus intake was 1166 mg/d (IQR: 823–1610 mg/d); median phosphorus density was 0.58 mg/kcal (0.48–0.70 mg/kcal). Individuals who consumed more phosphorus-dense diets were older, were less often African American, and led healthier lifestyles (smoking, physical activity, and Healthy Eating Index). In analyses adjusted for demographics, cardiovascular risk factors, kidney function, and energy intake, higher phosphorus intake was associated with higher all-cause mortality in individuals who consumed >1400 mg/d [adjusted HR (95% CI): 2.23 (1.09, 4.5) per 1-unit increase in ln(phosphorus intake); P = 0.03]. At <1400 mg/d, there was no association. A similar association was seen between higher phosphorus density and all-cause mortality at a phosphorus density amount >0.35 mg/kcal [adjusted HR (95% CI): 2.27 (1.19, 4.33) per 0.1-mg/kcal increase in phosphorus density; P = 0.01]. At <0.35 mg/kcal (approximately the fifth percentile), lower phosphorus density was associated with increased mortality risk. Phosphorus density was associated with cardiovascular mortality [adjusted HR (95% CI): 3.39 (1.43, 8.02) per 0.1 mg/kcal at >0.35 mg/kcal; P = 0.01], whereas no association was shown in analyses with phosphorus intake. Results were similar by subgroups of diet quality and in analyses adjusted for sodium and saturated fat intakes.
Conclusions: High phosphorus intake is associated with increased mortality in a healthy US population. Because of current patterns in phosphorus consumption in US adults, these findings may have important public health implications.

Lightbringer

I'm a newb female, 49 yo and am learning a little each day. This is what I'm planning to eat spread out over 4-5 small meals. I know it's not perfect, but could use some wisdom if I'm on the right track. Thx.

6 oz. cod
4 cups OJ
4 cups skim milk
8 oz. boiled collards
1 cup parmesan
1 shredded carrot
6 T Great Lakes gelatin
2 aspirin
=1709 cals, 3600 calcium, 2800 phosphorus
Looks good, but hope you have had the above quantities of foods before without digestive issues. If not, then gradual dietary changes can be easier to make. You could see if you could work in some more calories from fruit (grape, cooked apples etc.) if possible. If tara drops by, she will definitely ask you to increase calories :D

And of course, swapping in foods like shellfish & mushrooms instead of the cod & carrot every now and then can bring some variety which helps with longer term diet maintenance. Similarly adding oxtail, eggs and coffee (if tolerated). I don't believe that a magic number exists for phosphorous , getting higher calcium as in your diet should be protective.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom