Want To Speed Up Transit Time While Drinking Milk

I find milk very constipating. I've been using lots of magnesium carbonate, in juice, which seems to work VERY well with ZERO intestinal irritation. But it isn't enough to speed things along.

I'm thinking milk really slows down the gut. I use lactose free milk, and I suspect that lactose milk may be better but it isn't an option.

I'm back to a little cascara every day but it doesn't seem like a healthy idea to always need a laxative.

What saith thou?

Vinero

I'm surprised you can tolerate magnesium carbonate without intestinal irritation. I Always get it from either magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate. The carbonate doesn't seem to agree with me. Getting more fiber like potatoes or mushrooms mights speed up things in the gut.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I find milk very constipating. I've been using lots of magnesium carbonate, in juice, which seems to work VERY well with ZERO intestinal irritation. But it isn't enough to speed things along.

I'm thinking milk really slows down the gut. I use lactose free milk, and I suspect that lactose milk may be better but it isn't an option.

I'm back to a little cascara every day but it doesn't seem like a healthy idea to always need a laxative.

What saith thou?
Are you using full cream?

lvysaur

I use lactose free milk
Are you lactose intolerant?

If you are, then maybe try using lactase pills. That way you can control the degree of lactose digestion, too much = constipation, too little = diarrhea

Elephanto

A2 milk ?

Consumption of milk containing A1 β-casein was associated with increased gastrointestinal inflammation, worsening of PD3 symptoms, delayed transit, and decreased cognitive processing speed and accuracy. Because elimination of A1 β-casein attenuated these effects, some symptoms of lactose intolerance may stem from inflammation it triggers, and can be avoided by consuming milk containing only the A2 type of beta casein.
Effects of milk containing only A2 beta casein versus milk containing both A1 and A2 beta casein proteins on gastrointestinal physiology, symptoms ... - PubMed - NCBI

And this transit delay effect is opioid receptor-related (whereas A2's milk opioid peptides are much weaker).
Pretreatment with naloxone suppressed the inhibitory effect of casein, suggesting that stimulation of opioid receptors by beta casomorphins, a product of digestion of casein, might be involved in the motility changes observed.
Inhibition of small intestinal motility by casein: a role of beta casomorphins? - PubMed - NCBI
Effect of casein and beta-casomorphins on gastrointestinal motility in rats. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
ecstatichamster

If you are, then maybe try using lactase pills. That way you can control the degree of lactose digestion, too much = constipation, too little = diarrhea

I am. I could try mixing regular milk and see if that helps.

lvysaur

Great studies, good to see my intuition was right. Feel so much lighter after drinking A2 milk. Consistent with the higher cognitive test scores.

Vinero

Instead of using lactase pills you could try to force your intestine to make lactase. Ingesting milk daily will trigger your body to produce lactase on it's own. The key is ingesting small amounts daily and building up your consumption of milk.

Lolinaa

Great studies, good to see my intuition was right. Feel so much lighter after drinking A2 milk. Consistent with the higher cognitive test scores.
Can you explain the difference? Is it a certain type of cows like jersaise vs the others or raw vs pasteurisation?

Elephanto

@ecstatichamster

Have you tried searching for "Jersey milk", seems to be one of the most common types of A2 and some farms/shops only use this title without mentioning A2. Where I live it can be found in more organic oriented grocery stores or directly on farm websites.

@Lolinaa
Pasteurization doesn't affect this. The main difference is the presence or absence of Beta-Casomorphin 7, which after isolation is found to mainly cause the difference in effects between A1 and A2 milk. There are other casomorphins present in A2, and even opioid peptides in the whey fraction, but for instance in the few studies done it wasn't causing opioid-related physiological effects that could be prevented with an antagonist. That said, I believe it needs more investigation before we can assume that A2 milk and the other opioid peptides in dairy have no effect as those studies have not used Peat-sized intakes of dairy. Plus more subtle effects of opioids have not been measured. For your information, they are contained in the protein fractions of milk so butter and cream aren't concerned, and in some cases hydrolysis and fermentation (yogurt) have been shown to decrease the potency of these opioid peptides.

A naturally occurring opioid peptide from cow's milk, beta-casomorphine-7, is a direct histamine releaser in man. - PubMed - NCBI

Type I (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus and cow milk: casein variant consumption.

Polymorphism of bovine beta-casein and its potential effect on human health.

Does milk increase mucus production?

Last edited:

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
My transit time seems more reliable since I quit drinking 40 ounces of lactose free milk. Now I drink 12-16 ounces of regular whole milk and use some eggshell powder. I don’t know exactly which change helped but that’s my experience lately.

OP
ecstatichamster
@Elephanto I bought A2 milk today. I added a few drops of lactase. It won't remove most of the lactose anyway as I didn't use enough. I have started mixing the A2 milk with the LF milk and see how it goes. I plan to increase the A2 milk and see if I can become lactose tolerant as I used to be as a kid. And hoping the A2 milk is less constipating.

Meanwhile I take plenty of magnesium and a little cascara.

Elephanto

Thanks for these informations @Elephanto. So what should one do to minimise the effects? What do you do personally?
Basically to not make foods with opioid effects a staple in my diet. Been there, done that; with frequent consumption it had too much of an impact on my daily mental state and appearance (at least following the often mentioned "honeymoon"). Coffee contains opioid antagonists so it is one of the few lines of defense you have, but it seems pretty counterintuitive to have as a staple something you need to counter (and probably cannot counter to the most beneficial extent).

Lolinaa

Basically to not make foods with opioid effects a staple in my diet. Been there, done that; with frequent consumption.
I see your point thanks. The thing is the Peat's diet is based on milk consumption or cheese as best source of protein mainly. I think I will add some magnesium in the afternoon. Right now I have stopped all supplements apart thyroïd and progesterone and aspirin the two weeks before my period. I try to have enough calories to keep a good metabolism. I love rice as well because I feel better with at least a hot meal than just drinking milk and orange juice. I alternate rice, potatoes and polenta (corn meal). I put on some weight this last month but I needed it.
What do you eat a whole day for example?

Elephanto

I see your point thanks. The thing is the Peat's diet is based on milk consumption or cheese as best source of protein mainly. I think I will add some magnesium in the afternoon. Right now I have stopped all supplements apart thyroïd and progesterone and aspirin the two weeks before my period. I try to have enough calories to keep a good metabolism. I love rice as well because I feel better with at least a hot meal than just drinking milk and orange juice. I alternate rice, potatoes and polenta (corn meal). I put on some weight this last month but I needed it.
What do you eat a whole day for example?

Usually rice vermicellis, white basmati rice, traditionally prepared legumes like Adzuki beans and lentils, sometimes oats. This is pretty much always combined with coconut oil to prevent bacterial feeding; got some other spices like dried ginger powder and oregano that I like. I do Intermittent Fasting btw, I think it would be annoying and tiring to digest starch (or anything, really) for most of the day. I often have 1-2 large meals plus some other snacks, depending on hunger. A snack could be an orange and a tsp of coconut oil, usually reserving starch for the main meals. About legumes, I guess you could look at my older posts for refutals on what I think is a misleading concern, as I think that some types, if well-prepared, can have a very positive effect on health.

In smaller quantities or less frequently : some organic veggies and fruits that I select for utility (like providing specific minerals/vitamins or things like lycopene), maple syrup, honey, carrageenan-free cream, olive oil, a salt substitute to provide more Potassium. Some meat 1-2 times a week. I do well on low protein with some "refeeding days" here and there (though on these occasions I still eat less protein than a lot of westerners eat every single day)

I vary a bit more than that but it's my point of reference to go back to, knowing that it has consistently given me good results. Corn is one food that has a pretty rapid look-worsening effect for me, I don't know if it is due to it being one of the most important sources of mycotoxins, of pestidice contamination, from being gut-irritating or more able to feed bacterias. I adviced against potatoes too because of their gut-irritating saponins, it's one of the most common foods that triggers IBS symptoms in sufferers pointing to this irritation but as a general rule, you should listen to your body. It seems like cultures who eat a lot of corn and/or a lot of potatoes often have skin issues which can be related to Endotoxins and intestinal permeability; I don't know just a thought like that if you notice physical changes.

And yeah eating warm feels much better; drinking warm water is also a generally anti-stressing substance and it can improve digestion if taken a bit before meals. Can be a good idea to start your day with this, rehydrating and warming the body.

Lolinaa

@Elephanto, thank you for your reply. I am happy you have found a diet which is working for you. I like basmati rice too so I will try to get more instead of potatoes.

I stopped any beans since peating. Its true those last days I have more spots than I used to: forehead, décolleté and behind my legs. Its quite annoying. I thought it was due to a higher metabolism or the heat lamp. Maybe my diet is responsible or both.

Logan-

Usually rice vermicellis, white basmati rice, traditionally prepared legumes like Adzuki beans and lentils, sometimes oats. This is pretty much always combined with coconut oil to prevent bacterial feeding; got some other spices like dried ginger powder and oregano that I like.
Good idea on preventing bacterial feeding. Do you mix coconut oil with vermicelli in a frying pan or in a bowl after it’s boiled?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals