Announcement The Forum is transitioning to a subscription-based membership model

animalcule

To be fair, it's not something new. You have a window during which you can edit and then your comment cannot be removed anymore.
I’ve never tried to delete an old comment, so I didn’t realize that limitation already existed. Assumed it was new. Thanks!

The ability of a user to delete any (or every) post they've made is present on some boards, and has predictable consequences on forum preservation and continuity.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
What's with the bit in the new "Terms and Conditions" about not being able to delete content you posted without approval? Did I misread that?
That area of the terms and conditions was not changed, it has always been there. I probably need to reword it to be a bit clearer. A non paid account can edit for 90 minutes, a paid account can edit for 24 hours.

This is what I added to the terms and conditions this morning:

"Paid Memberships

We reserve the right to ban members in order to maintain smooth forum operation and create a positive, respectful learning environment. If a permanent ban is imposed, paid monthly subscriptions will be terminated without a refund for that month. For yearly subscribers, the membership will be cancelled with no refund for the remaining part of the year. In the case of a lifetime subscription, a ban will result in no refund. In the event of a temporary ban, your paid membership will continue as usual, unaffected by the suspension period. Please note that any attempts to circumvent a prior ban will result in an immediate new ban without any refund provided for your subscription. By choosing to purchase a membership, you agree to these terms."

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You can feel the positive difference already.

animalcule

That area of the terms and conditions was not changed, it has always been there. I probably need to reword it to be a bit clearer. A non paid account can edit for 90 minutes, a paid account can edit for 24 hours.

This is what I added to the terms and conditions this morning:

"Paid Memberships

We reserve the right to ban members in order to maintain smooth forum operation and create a positive, respectful learning environment. If a permanent ban is imposed, paid monthly subscriptions will be terminated without a refund for that month. For yearly subscribers, the membership will be cancelled with no refund for the remaining part of the year. In the case of a lifetime subscription, a ban will result in no refund. In the event of a temporary ban, your paid membership will continue as usual, unaffected by the suspension period. Please note that any attempts to circumvent a prior ban will result in an immediate new ban without any refund provided for your subscription. By choosing to purchase a membership, you agree to these terms."
👍

S

shucknchuck

A small, amusing error in Terms and Rules:

j. Any language other then English.

Replace then with than.
Then
is a place in time (e.g. “back then”).
Than is a comparison (e.g. “other than”).

Makrosky

Interesting experiment! Let's see how it goes! I am afraid with the change it can become a complete echo chamber though. I hope not.

Fresh and youth is always good, having to pay might probably raise the average age of the forum, thus unbalancing it.

It is also true that people tend to care more about things that are not so easy and require an extra effort.

At the same time since covid times the forum took a bad direction, I don't know why. It used to be a safe, open minded, kind, supportive, small comunity charming place and for the last 3 years it has been flooded with racists, misoginists, fanatics, incels, extremists and weird people of all kinds and shapes. I really hope we can get back to that old feeling.

I am completely thinking out loud.

CJ_87

Pon my troth, good sirs! Already am I feeling more spiritually wakened by this bonny purge. I shall donate in good time to this Forum, as I may, good Sirs.

Preglowman

Forum Supporter
This is wonderful news! For the low cost equivalent of one bad prescription medication that comes with endless side effects, prescribed by a doctor that has no idea what's wrong or how to cure me, one medical paradox after another, I can have all the forum information, knowledge and amazing resources. Not to mention the community's humor and wit! 😘 I'm in!!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have updated the original post to indicate two more perks for paid members:
  • Keyword email - Receive an email when a word you designate is posted on the forum.
  • Conversation Search - You are able to search your private conversations.

Abmartich

I think it's a very good idea because many are using this community to sell their products.

Theta

I have updated the original post to indicate two more perks for paid members:
  • Keyword email - Receive an email when a word you designate is posted on the forum.
  • Conversation Search - You are able to search your private conversations.
Thank you very, very much, Charlie!!!! You are a scholar and a gentleman!!! MUCH love!

akgrrrl

I also, am so grateful these changes are being made. It was disappointing to watch some of our more brilliant members back out of contributing. Lets hope a more responsible membership exploring Dr. Peat's work will overtake the underachievers with sexual issues.
Hooray!

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Consider the yearly as nearly "free". I am no longer paying for the newsletter so this is a good place for those funds.

JamesGatz

I also, am so grateful these changes are being made. It was disappointing to watch some of our more brilliant members back out of contributing. Lets hope a more responsible membership exploring Dr. Peat's work will overtake the underachievers with sexual issues.
Hooray!
Absolutely Granny! I'm excited for this too!

-Luke-

Hooray!
So you're saying we will not see the twelfth burner account from German Truther? Please say it ain't so!

lvysaur

What exactly is meant by this:
For those existing members who are already verified and post without moderation approval, you need not be concerned about these changes
So do accounts made before a certain date still get to post freely? What's the cutoff?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals