Ray Peat On Pepsi

J

jb116

Is there evidence for that ? That would be interesting to see.
That is interesting. @jag2594 may be that's why I always had difficulty with pepsi in the past and not coke.. hmm? could be, but
jury is still out until I try real sugar pepsi again some time soon.

milk_lover

Oh the irony.. Coke is an American brand yet all the coke in our supermarkets (in the UAE) have real sugar and they're pretty cheap :)
Pepsi or coke... I drink whatever available and they equally taste good to my tongue. They go great with red meat.

OP
J

jaguar43

That is interesting. @jag2594 may be that's why I always had difficulty with pepsi in the past and not coke.. hmm? could be, but
jury is still out until I try real sugar pepsi again some time soon.

I would have to see evidence that it is carcinogenic. But it's possible.

bobbybobbob

apparently pepsi's caramel color is carcinogenic while coke's is not. btw, pufa's concern r actually very sane, haven't u seen those experiments where coke dissolves pennies.

Where did you get this idea?

You are probably just confused because caramel itself is carcinogenic. It's burned sugar. I can't imagine a meaningful distinction between different sources of burned sugar. There's such a tiny amount used for coloring in soft drinks. It can't matter.

Drareg

apparently pepsi's caramel color is carcinogenic while coke's is not. btw, pufa's concern r actually very sane, haven't u seen those experiments where coke dissolves pennies.

I would be interested in seeing this if you have a link,thanks.
Was the Coke regular sugar or high fructose corn syrup?

papaya

i don't know how to post links and stuff, but i'm sure you'll find stuff abt it if u google it. it's pretty recent news. i almost wasn't even gonna post about it cuz i assumed everyone probably already knew.

Drareg

i don't know how to post links and stuff, but i'm sure you'll find stuff abt it if u google it. it's pretty recent news. i almost wasn't even gonna post about it cuz i assumed everyone probably already knew.

I don't think it's recent news,it seems to be another alarmist story on Coke taken out of context.

Parsifal

I think he meant the brand Pepsi. He doesn't shy away from coca-cola though. In his book nutrition for women, he said that coca-cola is a good source of potassium and they don't really know how to market their products.

Pepsi seems to be better for rehydration and has more sodium than coke.

Potassium in coke?

OP
J

jaguar43

Hypoglycemia is just one of the problems that develops when the liver malfunctions, but it is so important that orange juice or Coca Cola or ice cream can provide tremendous relief from symptoms. Sodium (orange juice and Pepsi provide some) helps to absorb the sugar, and--more basically--is essential for helping to restore the blood volume. Pepsi has been recommened by the World Health Organization for the rehydration of babies with diarrhea, in whom hypovolemia (thickening of the blood from loss of water) is also a problem.

Eclampsia in the Real Organism: A Paradigm of General Distress Applicable in Infants, Adults, Etc.

I've been here long enough to know that there's probably a different answer for this question than I've always been told, but I gotta ask...
What about the concern of the phosphoric acid leeching calcium out of the bones, causing osteoporosis? I understood that this was also a cause of kidney stones.
I know, I know, it's probably really PUFAs doing all their evil damage, right? :evil:

J

jb116

I've been here long enough to know that there's probably a different answer for this question than I've always been told, but I gotta ask...
What about the concern of the phosphoric acid leeching calcium out of the bones, causing osteoporosis? I understood that this was also a cause of kidney stones.
I know, I know, it's probably really PUFAs doing all their evil damage, right? :evil:
Ray has even mentioned himself that the amount added into these drinks is not an issue. Aside from that, in drinking these things it is also understood that the individual is thoroughly
stocking themselves with nutrients and eating sufficiently and properly. These drinks then become helpful, sustaining, and complimentary things.

Ray has even mentioned himself that the amount added into these drinks is not an issue. Aside from that, in drinking these things it is also understood that the individual is thoroughly
stocking themselves with nutrients and eating sufficiently and properly. These drinks then become helpful, sustaining, and complimentary things.

Thanks jb116! Great to know!

I meant to say also that coming from a nutritionist background I about fell off my chair when I read Ray's quote! This place never ceases to amaze me...in a great way! :cat:

OP
J

jaguar43

He has said it is a small amount phosphoric acid compared to other foods. Ideally it's probably to get more fruit in then soda. But when dehydrated or sick (flu, common cold) I think the soda drinks can helpful.

He has said it is a small amount phosphoric acid compared to other foods. Ideally it's probably to get more fruit in then soda. But when dehydrated or sick (flu, common cold) I think the soda drinks can helpful.

Thank jag2594! Great to know!

sladerunner69

I drink the real sugar Pepsi in the plastic bottles.

Mexican Coke is too expensive for the amount I drink. Sometimes I check the Coke products in vain, hoping they have put out a product with real sugar in it in their regular lineup, but they don't. So, Pepsi for me.

I drink the ones in aluminum cans. Do you think that would leech bpa?

sladerunner69

I remember when I used to look at people who drink soda and think, "What a bunch of weaklings with their sugar addiction."

Here I am eating over 2,000 grams of sugar/day. What a strange world.

Great advice. Dried fruit is the worst. Instant pain.

Eating 2,000 grams of sugar a day? So you eat over 10 thousand calories a day?

Just watch out for the enamel destroying phosphoric acid. Drink through a glass straw. Someone should invent tooth covers, plastic moldings that go over your teeth when enjoying tooth destroying dried fruit and real sugar Pepsi. That way you don't have to worry about rinsing or brushing right after.

Could try intravenous...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals