Ray Peat On Pepsi

jaguar43

Hypoglycemia is just one of the problems that develops when the liver malfunctions, but it is so important that orange juice or Coca Cola or ice cream can provide tremendous relief from symptoms. Sodium (orange juice and Pepsi provide some) helps to absorb the sugar, and--more basically--is essential for helping to restore the blood volume. Pepsi has been recommened by the World Health Organization for the rehydration of babies with diarrhea, in whom hypovolemia (thickening of the blood from loss of water) is also a problem.

Eclampsia in the Real Organism: A Paradigm of General Distress Applicable in Infants, Adults, Etc.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hypoglycemia is just one of the problems that develops when the liver malfunctions, but it is so important that orange juice or Coca Cola or ice cream can provide tremendous relief from symptoms. Sodium (orange juice and Pepsi provide some) helps to absorb the sugar, and--more basically--is essential for helping to restore the blood volume. Pepsi has been recommened by the World Health Organization for the rehydration of babies with diarrhea, in whom hypovolemia (thickening of the blood from loss of water) is also a problem.

Eclampsia in the Real Organism: A Paradigm of General Distress Applicable in Infants, Adults, Etc.

Nice, I always knew there was something special to Pepsi.
Let the flame wars begin :)

J

jb116

haha whoa whoa, did he mean "pepsi" as in general cola drink OR actually pepsi as in pepsi vs coke??

COKE guy. :rage

OP
J

jaguar43

Nice, I always knew there was something to special to Pepsi.
Let the flame wars begin :)

Yea I tried finding the source on the world health organization website. It looks like they took it down and fill it with anti-sugar articles though. But I think the articles was probably written 20 years ago.

OP
J

jaguar43

haha whoa whoa, did he mean "pepsi" as in general cola drink OR actually pepsi as in pepsi vs coke??

COKE guy. :rage

I think he meant the brand Pepsi. He doesn't shy away from coca-cola though. In his book nutrition for women, he said that coca-cola is a good source of potassium and they don't really know how to market their products.

Pepsi seems to be better for rehydration and has more sodium than coke.

J

jb116

I think he meant the brand Pepsi. He doesn't shy away from coca-cola though. In his book nutrition for women, he said that coca-cola is a good source of potassium and they don't really know how to market their products.

Pepsi seems to be better for rehydration and has more sodium than coke.
I never got along with pepsi, the last time I drank it was decades ago. But I think I will probably give it a go
again, with the real sugar one.

Peata

I drink the real sugar Pepsi in the plastic bottles.

Mexican Coke is too expensive for the amount I drink. Sometimes I check the Coke products in vain, hoping they have put out a product with real sugar in it in their regular lineup, but they don't. So, Pepsi for me.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I never got along with pepsi, the last time I drank it was decades ago. But I think I will probably give it a go
I found some real sugar Pepsi in glass bottles near my job so I usually have one on work days. I still prefer Coke but the Pepsi isn't bad at all. I wonder if the sodium and potassium difference in the two drinks might be why some prefer one over the other?

J

jb116

I found some real sugar Pepsi in glass bottles near my job so I usually have one on work days. I still prefer Coke but the Pepsi isn't bad at all. I wonder if the sodium and potassium difference in the two drinks might be why some prefer one over the other?
That is interesting, never know. I remember pepsi giving me urgent 'movements' but coke always did the opposite for me: good digestion, relaxing.

Peata

I prefer the taste of Coke. That rich, mellow taste with the hint of vanilla..mmm. Pepsi has a "sharper" taste to me, hard to explain. I still drink it though.

OP
J

jaguar43

I think the ones with real sugar are better. If you have gallbladder issues then I could see why people can have issues with soda.

J

jb116

I think the ones with real sugar are better. If you have gallbladder issues then I could see why people can have issues with soda.
I don't have issues with coke though. I really enjoy coke, some times having 2 or 3 a day.

OP
J

jaguar43

I don't have issues with coke though. I really enjoy coke, some times having 2 or 3 a day.

Yea, Ray Peat seems to think Coke is pretty good.

Just watch out for the enamel destroying phosphoric acid. Drink through a glass straw. Someone should invent tooth covers, plastic moldings that go over your teeth when enjoying tooth destroying dried fruit and real sugar Pepsi. That way you don't have to worry about rinsing or brushing right after.

Last edited:
M

marikay

I drink the real sugar Pepsi in the plastic bottles.

Mexican Coke is too expensive for the amount I drink. Sometimes I check the Coke products in vain, hoping they have put out a product with real sugar in it in their regular lineup, but they don't. So, Pepsi for me.

During Passover, the Coco-Cola company makes Coke with sugar (as corn is not Kosher during Passover and so no HFCS is allowed). It's sold in the plastic 2 litter bottles with a different color cap (usually yellow) and a Hebrew symbol on the top of the cap. The price is the same and it is often on sale. It's fantastic.

bobbybobbob

Just watch out for the enamel destroying phosphoric acid. Drink through a glass straw. Someone should invent tooth covers, plastic moldings that go over your teeth when enjoying tooth destroying dried fruit and real sugar Pepsi. That way you don't have to worry about rinsing or brushing right after.

I really doubt this is a sane concern. You swallow acidic foods and then healthy saliva will restore proper pH in some measure of minutes.

I mean, sitting there with a mouthful of coke or vinegar or lemon juice for a couple hours is a bad idea. But swallowing mildly acidic stuff at meal times? Come on.

papaya

apparently pepsi's caramel color is carcinogenic while coke's is not. btw, pufa's concern r actually very sane, haven't u seen those experiments where coke dissolves pennies.

bobbybobbob

apparently pepsi's caramel color is carcinogenic while coke's is not. btw, pufa's concern r actually very sane, haven't u seen those experiments where coke dissolves pennies.

Yes, if you put a penny in a mild acidic bath for many hours it will get eaten away. If you put your teeth in such a bath for many hours the same thing would also happen. Not sure how you'd manage that, though.

OP
J

jaguar43

Is there evidence for that ? That would be interesting to see.

DaveFoster

I remember when I used to look at people who drink soda and think, "What a bunch of weaklings with their sugar addiction."

Here I am eating over 2,000 grams of sugar/day. What a strange world.

Great advice. Dried fruit is the worst. Instant pain.