My Cholesterol results:

Total Cholesterol: 152 mg/dl

HDL: 48 mg/dl

LDL: 93 mg/dl

Triglycerides : 55 mg/dl

I eat 6 eggs a day whit coconut oil.

Mittir

Your current total cholesterol level is below 160 mg/dl which used to be
considered Hypocholesterolemia by American heart Association, 1994.
RP probably goes by this guideline, he recommends having at least 160
preferably 200 before starting thyroid supplement. Did you measure your
total cholesterol before starting thyroid? People can have low total cholesterol
if a large part of cholesterol is converted to steroid hormones.

RP has also mentioned a study that found a large amount of egg yolk did not
raise total cholesterol in young people. He recommends fruit juice to increase
cholesterol. You can read up on symptoms of Hypocholesterolemia.
Here is a link to a study
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074286/

OP
L

Lucas

Hello.
Maybe my cholesterol reduced because I get hyper, whit ultra-low TSH and high free t3?
I dint test my cholesterol before thyroid treatment. I get a classic reaction of low cortisol before starting thyroid , whit 2 amazing days whit half a grain and getting worse increasing the dose, whit a 0,015 TSH whit 4 grains. So today I became to use hydrocortisone to increase it to return to the thyroid treatment that now is at 1 grain a day.
I to will investigate hemochromatosis, since this causes fatigue and joint pain.
Also I think I had functional b12 deficiency, since it is very high whit no suplemention.
My concern to heath is to get rid of these symptoms:
- Hair loss
- Joint pain (mostly in legs)
- Infertilely
- Fatigue
-Brain fog
-low stomach acidy
-Depression
I am eating gelatin, will start orange juice, will drink milk before meals. I cook everything whit coconut oil.
Thank you very much for your attention.

Mittir

RP did mention that we need to have a certain level of total cholesterol
to maintain a lot of other functions even if we are making more steroid hormones
from cholesterol. He did not give a specific number.

Low acidity usually mean you have weak digestion. It is very important that
you eat easily digestible foods. Just fixing gut will make things lot better hormonally.
Starch and fermentable fibers feed bad bacteria and that increases endotoxin load on liver.
That is why most people feel better when they fast. If fasting improves joint pain then
endotoxin and serotonin are main suspect. Hypothyroidism is a common cause for
joint pain and low acidity. I think we need to fix both gut and thyroid to solve
joint problem.

Your test did not show Transferrin saturation index. Saturatio index and ferritin together
gives a good idea about iron storage. You may have low saturation index but high
ferritin or the opposite and have same amount stored iron. Ferritin is the more safer form
of storage, which gets higher in inflammation and hypothyroidism.

A lot of people have digestive problem from orange juice. RP thinks if orange is not
sweet and ripe then it can irritate gut. If you are not used to drinking milk it is advised
to increase milk intake slowly to let body get adjusted to it. Gelatin can cause digestive
problem for some people.

Mixed tocopherol Vitamin E can help a lot with male infertility. It is usually 400 IU but one can take
bigger doses. If you take large E dose for longer period of time you will need some
extra vitamin K to avoid blood clotting problem. Large amount of vitamin E depletes
vitamin K. I think you already know that B6 and progesterone can lower prolactin.
RP has mentioned that male needs prolactin between 4-7 for good fertility.

I think increasing thyroid dose rapidly can cause imbalance if rest of the diet
is not supportive. RP has also mentioned antibiotics curing infertility in female.
Antibiotics , raw carrot salad and cooked bamboo shoots lowers endotoxins
and improves hormonal balance. If raw carrot salad or bamboo shoots does not
give any major benefit you can talk to your doctor to get a short prescription
of tetracyline anti-biotics to see if there is any quick benefits.
You will need extra vitamin K if you take antibiotics. I have seen good results
just from taking 50 mg tetracyline every 4-5 days . I get upset stomach if i take more.
I think it is best to make changes slowly.

Edit: RP talked about hairloss and prolactin in detail in this KMUD interview
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5408
He mentioned calcium, vitamin A, progesterone, thyroid, anti serotonin
diet . Cyproheptadine is a safe anti serotonin, he mentioned bromocrptine
for high prolactin in email exchange, lisuride is also a anti prolactin drugs.
But he warns against long term use of ergot derived drugs and anti-serotonin drugs.

OP
L

Lucas

I did a Transferrin saturation index test in 2012, it was 40 %, whit 108 mcg/dl of serum iron and 186 microg/L, Ref: 36 – 262 of Ferritin.

OP
L

Lucas

I will start to take Parlodel do reduce my prolactin. I want to save my hair!

Mittir

Your iron saturation index is on the upper end of normal ( 20%-50%).
RP mentioned that saturation index below 25% is protective against cancer.
You may consider having iron level at lower end of normal.

I think people over 30s have more difficult time fixing metabolism related issues
if they ate a lot of PUFA before. Depending on metabolism and fat storage, an
average person may need about 4 years to totally change stored fatty acid ratios to reflect
dietary intake .I have noticed steady improvement after 3-4 month of strict PUFA avoidance
(less than 4 grams daily) and things get better and easier over time.
RP believes that bad ratio of saturated fat to pufa in storage
is causing a lot health issues including thyroid.

My hair quality improved greatly only after i added 4-6 oz of liver weekly.
I added liver after starting thyroid and my hair gets thinner if i skip liver
for more than 2 weeks. For me it is thyroid and liver together that is
improving hair. I believe red light helps a lot too.

I would read up on possible side effect of Parlodel before i decide on taking
it. You can check forums where people talk about their experience with bromocriptine.
You can also talk to your doctor about it.

OP
L

Lucas

Hi.
How can I lower my iron stores? Drink milk before meals?
Instead of bromocriptine, I will take vitamin E and B6, at same time that I Taper off Gabapentin (this drug increases prolactin and serotonin), then will test my prolactin again. If not lower, I will take bromocriptine.

Mittir

Blood donation can lower iron storage, but i have heard from a nurse that
they avoid taking blood from hypothyroid people cause of possible side effects.
You can talk to doctor about it.

I did not notice that you were taking Gabapentin. Did you have increased hair loss
after using that med? It looks like a good idea to taper off the dose if it can cause
bad withdrawal effects. Cyproheptadine half to 1 mg twice daily is a safer way to lower serotonin.

Edit: If i was in your condition i would try to increase my total cholesterol.
RP thinks cholesterol is an over all protective substance.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ch ... vity.shtml

OP
L

Lucas

Hi.
I started taking hydrocortisone, 10mg in the morning and 10 mg at lunch, and feel great.
Maybe instead of taking hydrocortisone, raising Cholesterol could be a better option?
What is your opinion on adrenal fatigue, the notion that we cannot start taking ndt whit low cortisol?

Mittir

RP does not recommend hydrocortisone, the whole idea behind RP's recommendation
is to lower stress hormones, which include cortisol/hydrocortisone.
Some people may have low cortisol due to low cholesterol or some diseases
like Addison's. I believe blood tests can diagnose if you have low level of cortisol.

Cortisol lowers T4 to T3 conversion, so hydrocortisone should worsen thyroid function.
The way i understand that when someone wants to increase thyroid dose by taking
extra cortisol they are simply cancelling out the increased dose by lowering conversion
of T4 to T3 and increased conversion of T4 to reverse T3. This whole thing is popularized
by STTM website.

OP
L

Lucas

Hello.
Just to ad that I take 300 mg of Gabapentin before bed because I had Periodic Movement Limb Disorder (Restless Leg only when I sleep).
These movements makes my sleep not restfully, so whit Gabapentin I can sleep, but had the side effects (high prolactin, high serotonin, low body temperature).

Mittir

Here is a RP quote on Bruxism / Restless leg syndrome

I think it's caused by irritation and inflammation in the intestine, increasing serotonin. Starches and fibers support bacterial growth and can increase serotonin. Restless leg syndrome is another night-time reaction to bacterial overgrowth..

Did you have digestion issues before this condition? did the hair loss start
or worsen after taking gabapentin?

narouz

Mittir said:
Here is a RP quote on Bruxism / Restless leg syndrome

I think it's caused by irritation and inflammation in the intestine, increasing serotonin. Starches and fibers support bacterial growth and can increase serotonin. Restless leg syndrome is another night-time reaction to bacterial overgrowth..

Did you have digestion issues before this condition? did the hair loss start
or worsen after taking gabapentin?

Might've been mentioned already, dunno, but:
seems like someone here on the forum speculated that--
or even reported some experiential success with--
cyproheptadine should be good for RLS.

Mittir

@narouz

Since serotonin is involved, any anti-serotonin drugs will work and
Cyprohepatine is the safest of all. In many cases simply removing the
offending foods solve the problem. I believe that most complex problems
have simple solutions.

OP
L

Lucas

Hello.
No, I had hair loss before gabapentin.
I have hair loss and RLS since my twenty’s (37 years old now).
I always had high, out of range serotonin levels on my blood.
Had digestive problems since as a kid.
Since I had very high prolactin and serotonin, I will start medication.
What should I reduce first? Prolactin whit Parlodel/Dostinex/Bromocriptine or Serotonin whit Cyproheptadine?
Thank’s

Mittir

These drugs lower both serotonin and prolactin. So you do not have to pick one.
Some People react differently to these drugs , in that case you may have to try different
one to see which gives you better result. Here is a link to RP's article in serotonin
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/se ... sion.shtml
You can search old threads on lowering prolactin and serotonin.
Some people have posted their experience with different med.
Here is a collection of RP quotes on serotonin and anti-serotonin drugs.
page/exchanges
Serotonin
[SSRIs causing gut problems] The gut makes 95% of serotonin, which is the main promoter of stress hormones, inflammation, pain, and anxiety.

Serum serotonin fluctuates according to intestinal irritation, but for the average to change very much it's necessary for the liver and brain to adapt, and that usually takes a few months. Since the lungs are the main site of serotonin metabolism, an air ionizer near your bed can help.

B6 helps for turning tryptophan into niacin rather than serotonin.

I think cyproheptadine is a safe antiserotonin drug [serotonin syndrome].

I'm not familiar with it, but I assume it would be a serotonin antagonist [LSA].

Yes, it allows a positive kind of mental energy, since high serotonin causes conservative, defensive authoritarian avoidance [Lower serotonin leading to holism].

Effective mental effort is easier to make when serotonin isn't excessive; attitude and chemistry interact, both directions.

Some people who haven't had ideal results from bromocriptine have had better results from tianeptine, and/or lisuride, and/or cyproheptadine [anti-serotonin drugs].

The small doses, like coffee, help to optimize normal processes. Giant doses of either will deplete energy stores. Sugar, salt, milk, gelatin, juice, etc., help to restore the reserves [LSD].

If I were in a place where it's not illegal, I think I would want to occasionally use 10 mcg quantities. I think it's one of the things that can help to maintain the proper electronic resonance of the organism. (Have you heard any of Luca Turin's talks on resonance?) [LSD]

Cyproheptadine might be helpful for reducing sensitivity to intestinal irritants.

I have known a few people who had very good results with tianeptine, and a couple who got side effects from it. I think any of the antiserotonin drugs will eventually cause side effects, and should only be used until a problem is corrected, for example when an enlarged pituitary is normalized. I think the same effects can be produced with nutrition and hormones, without the possible problems.

[Can anti-serotonin drugs permanently fix a problem, even if taken only for a short while?] Yes, but it's important to keep adjusting thyroid and progesterone according to temperature, pulse, etc.

Thyroid is the best thing for controlling serotonin's effects. The drugs that act on "receptors" act simultaneously on many things; one effect of some of them is a selective "agonist" effect on the "receptor" which is involved in negative feedback, turning off the cells that produce serotonin. Wikipedia is a function of consensus; according to them, serotonin is a happy hormone, and there are no conspiracies of government officials and bankers.

[Decreasing SSRI dose] It takes time to adapt to decreasing those drugs, keeping sugar up and inflammation down, including bag breathing, should help. Starting with a little, a sixth or fourth of a tablet, of cynoplus in the evening would be the best way to try it.

[High serotonin] It's important to know how it was measured, and what your platelet count was. Is your intestine inflamed? Since serotonin affects bone metabolism, have your serum calcium, phosphate, parathyroid hormone, vitamin D3, prolactin, and cortisol been measured?

I don't think doctors know what to do for regulating serotonin. Vitamin B6 helps to direct tryptophan toward niacinamide, away from serotonin. Gelatin contains no tryptophan, so things like consomme can be helpful. Raw carrots, because of their antiseptic effect, help to lower irritation and bloating. Antibiotics can be helpful, when the small intestine is overgrown with bacteria. Thyroid supplementation will lower cholesterol. Some people get very sleepy with just two milligrams of Periactin, so I think it's good to start with one mg. the first night. Two milligrams can make a big difference, and when symptoms stop the effects can last for days without using it.

BingDing

Hi Lucas

A safe and easy thing to try for high serotonin is 2 tsp of salt in 1 cup of water and sip on it through the day, or at least take in 2 or 3 portions. You will know in a day or two if you were deficient in salt. Salt also knocks down adrenalin and might make sleeping better.

Elephanto

Lucas said:
Thanks’ Tara.
I put my diet on cronometer and get deficiency in VIT A: 65 %, VIT K: 16% and VIT E: 36 %. Iron comes at 467 %, PHOSPHORUS: 398 % and CALCIUM: 116 %.
Today I did strength training and my legs are getting weak, not stronger. The rusty effect is very hard.
The NDT (T.R Tman) only worked for 3 days, after I get fatigued again, whit brain fog. Only positive is that I had now a peaceful of mind, only fatigued.
The problem is that the other NDT that I get, Thiroyd, give me fatigue and brain fog, so I can’t increase the dose of the T. R since I will get without it.

Sounds like most of your problems come from iron overload. Fatigue, constipation, hair loss, brain fog, possibly impaired insulin secretion. It can affect so many aspects of your body especially if you are genetically prone to retain iron. You should get checked for the HFE gene.

I had "only" 120 ferritin but an iron saturation of 51, and I had most of your symptoms. The latter is the most indicative of damage. I think anyone should give blood until their ferritin is 50 or lower. Every iron chelators I know of do liver damage so it's really better to give blood. Coffee doesn't chelate but it blocks iron absorption, should be taken with any meal with heme iron.

OP
L

Lucas

Hello.
Thank for all the information!!
Well, I think that I had the 2 good day’s syndrome.
Take NDT: feel good for 2 days, than worse.
Take Hydrocortisone: feel good for 2 days, than worse.
Tomorrow I will began to taper off Hydrocortisone.
The good thing Is that on last Friday I take 0,25 mg of Dostinex (Cabergoline) whit no side effects.
Maybe when I take off Gabapentin, reduce serotonin, prolactin and iron storage and increase my cholesterol, maybe my basal body temperature go to normal and I will not need to take NDT.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals