I'm Losing A Lot Of Weight On Intermittent Fasting

superhuman

If you think there is any correlation with leaness or not and ray peat than you have no idea about what ray peat diet is or general knowledge about metabolism, calories etc which sadly is most people. Most people think weight loss is about magic foods or other pills and potions thats why they never get anywhere

tyw

Sometimes I feel the same... However I'm guessing you have warm hands a feet, right?

Hey Yew, since you do not do well with dairy, I'm wondering if you worry about not getting enough calcium.
Do you eat veggies frequently with your meals or they are most of the times merely, for example, only rice and meat? I'm asking this in terms of digestion and feeling sluggish after eating them.

Barely any greens. Calcium mostly from sardines and misc calcium-fortified cereals ;) .

I've posted before about how it is likely that my genetics pre-dispose me to needing less calcium -- on the order of even 200mg / day was shown to allow calcium balance in South Chinese, not so in other populations with higher ancestral calcium intake. I would probably be getting at least this average daily amount based off canned sardine consumption alone.

----

I know plenty of peaters are lean or very lean but I think it really all comes down to the metabolic rate*calories consumed and sugar will always be burned off easier than fat, and obviously unsaturated fat will slow the matabolism.

Personally, adding more PUFAs didn't affect my body composition whatsoever. Probably got leaner in fact ..... I was already lean to begin with, and probably will continue staying lean regardless. Note that "adding more PUFAs" still resulted in a very low fat diet, and was more a product of "I stopped bothering to reduce PUFA consumption from grains".

The mechanics I discussed here (PUFA preferentially oxidised instead of stored) seem to have played out in my case -- Need Thyroid Med HELP!

Ideonaut

" ...higher-than-needed calories tend to support cancer..." ~ Ray Peat

"..even a moderate intake of PUFA becomes toxic eventually with a high calorie intake, because it’s stored rather than being used right away as fuel. " ~ Ray Peat

A few quotes to think about, when the " eat a large surplus of calories for better health " group chimes in.
Great input, tca300--thanks!

Ideonaut

To me the take-home message was, ( along with info gathered from other personal emails ) to keep PUFA very low, keep total fat low, and keep calories fluctuating between PERSONAL maintenance and slight deficiency so as to keep ingested PUFA from being stored, and preferentially burned for fuel. This only applies to someone who is trying to go above and beyond to create an "essential fatty acid " deficiency, which cant really happen unless its intake is dropped below .6% of calorie needs and kept there, without slip up for extended periods of time.[/QUOTE]

I buy this advice (keep total fat low) rather than Peat's statement elsewhere that ideally one's macronutrient intake should be 1/3 each of fat, protein, carbs. I know Haidut thinks low fat is advisable.

Djukami

Barely any greens. Calcium mostly from sardines and misc calcium-fortified cereals ;) .

I've posted before about how it is likely that my genetics pre-dispose me to needing less calcium -- on the order of even 200mg / day was shown to allow calcium balance in South Chinese, not so in other populations with higher ancestral calcium intake. I would probably be getting at least this average daily amount based off canned sardine consumption alone.
"Barely any greens", ok xD
Well, I see. I know that you don't like to give advice. So I will ask this another way: what would you do if you wanted to reach the 1000-1200 mg calcium daily? Would you just increase the cereals and canned sardines intake? :p

Btw, since you seem to respect ancestral eating habits, do you think this theory is a little bit overblown regarding osteoporosis then? Too much calcium causes osteoporosis
Personally, adding more PUFAs didn't affect my body composition whatsoever. Probably got leaner in fact ..... I was already lean to begin with, and probably will continue staying lean regardless. Note that "adding more PUFAs" still resulted in a very low fat diet, and was more a product of "I stopped bothering to reduce PUFA consumption from grains".

The mechanics I discussed here (PUFA preferentially oxidised instead of stored) seem to have played out in my case -- Need Thyroid Med HELP!

And perhaps the key is also because you're not exceeding your calories intake.

tyw

"Barely any greens", ok xD
Well, I see. I know that you don't like to give advice. So I will ask this another way: what would you do if you wanted to reach the 1000-1200 mg calcium daily? Would you just increase the cereals and canned sardines intake? :p

Btw, since you seem to respect ancestral eating habits, do you think this theory is a little bit overblown regarding osteoporosis then? Too much calcium causes osteoporosis

And perhaps the key is also because you're not exceeding your calories intake.

If one can handle dairy, getting 1000mg calcium a day is very easy.

If I in particular needed more calcium, I would just find a method that delivered it well. Probably would increase consumption of fish with bones. I would also try foods like Moringa Oleifera or other similar greens that are high in calcium. If that didn't work for whatever reason, and I had ample funds, I would try to get a whole-food plant calcium supplement, or even those fancy supplements with ground up animal bones. If not, I would just use regular dirt-cheap calcium carbonate.

Philomath

I know it's not very peaty.

I've been trying to lose weight for years.

I've been doing the intermittent fasting for a week. I'm finally getting to the point where I can almost take my shirt off without feeling embarrassed.

Weight loss is very fast, but I'm not undereating. I'm eating a lot of fat during the feeding window.

It reminds me of my SSRI-induced weight loss... I went from chubby to very fit in about a month. Not sickly skinny. More like somewhat muscular, very low body fat.

I'm doing 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of trying to cram 2,000-2,500 cals of an average Peat diet (OJ, milk, sugar, meat, eggs).

Drinking coffee without sugar after waking up until the 16 hours are up helps.

It's easy to get used to. There comes a tipping point where you stop feeling hungry and start feeling good. Clear-headed, energetic. Stress hormones?

I'll keep doing this for a while. I'm aware of the cons. Just sharing.

I started IF a little over a week ago after reading your post @milk. Since I started, I've lost about 5 or 6 lbs of what appears to belly fat. It doesn't appear that I'm losing muscle mass, but I can't be 100% sure. I eat for 8 hours and fast for 16 - I start eating at 8a and stop at 4p. I eat upwards of 80grams of protein and equal carbs. Some fat but not a lot. I make sure my protein smoothie, of Casein powder, is the last thing I eat at four, mainly because I know it's a slowly processing protein.
I don't feel tired or any stress response effects. I take supplimental calcium, magnesium, vitamin E and cascara. Any hunger feeling I get after 8 I quell with flavored water or Zero calorie stevia drinks. Is the circadian rhythm a factor or are we just not meant to eat after a certain point in the day? I'll keep up the IF until I notice problems.

superhuman

@Philomath You also know that you are loosing fat because you are eating 80+80 = 640 kcals + some fat say 20 gram which is 180 so total 850 kcal give or take. FOR SURE you gonna loose fat on that low calories. The magic for many with IF is that its easier for them to restrict calories/control hunger

Amber

Great to see someone else doing IF on this forum without panicking about 'fasting is gonna raise stress hormones make me hypothyroid and make me gain weight!!!!' lol.

Regina

Great to see someone else doing IF on this forum without panicking about 'fasting is gonna raise stress hormones make me hypothyroid and make me gain weight!!!!' lol.
Fasting will initate stress hormones. IF THEN ELSE. Pretty simple really.

Amber

Fasting will initate stress hormones. IF THEN ELSE. Pretty simple really.

People overestimate these things so badly lol. As long as you get enough nutrients and calories during the feeding window, you will be fine.

Regina

People overestimate these things so badly lol. As long as you get enough nutrients and calories during the feeding window, you will be fine.
If the true method of knowledge is experiment, well, this isn't my first rodeo.

Philomath

Well I can tell you I eat more than 850 calories a day. Some days I put ice cream in my smoothies, some days I'll get a slice of pizza for lunch. . I've been Peating for quite a while now, I know what stress hormones feel like. I haven't seen a noticeable increase yet. Maybe the hammer will drop soon...maybe it won't. I'm just trying something different. I imagine things will have to change with the holiday coming.
I still wonder if this doesn't have something to do with food timing. Like the old adage "breakfast like a king, lunch like prince, dinner like a pauper"

sladerunner69

I tried intermittent fasting for a couple days... felt like garbage. I hated the long fasts and would become very hungry and irritable. It only got worse on the second and third days. I think you could probably lose a lot of weight using fasting, that is clearly true. However weight loss in itself is clearly not intrinsically good or bad for health. Yes, fat is correlated with better health markers- though I think mos tof htis is ascribed to the type fo fat one is carrying. If one's fatty tissues are mostly saturated then they will undoubtedly be much better off. Thus Peat believes slow fatloss is optimal, and again I totally agree with his thoughts on the matter. Slow fat loss, using a diet with less fat and staying moderately active during the day, burning slightly more calories than consumed. Sure you could lose wieght faster on fasting, but I bet a lot of it is going to be muscle, stress hormones will increase, and you are going to lose that sublime 80+ bpm pulse rate and your temperature is going to become colder. I am going to attempt to avoid this by simply lowering my fat intake and slightly lowering my calories and staying more active with tennis and surfing and roller blading. Even if it takes 6+ months to lose 30 lbs instead of 2 months.

Djukami

If one can handle dairy, getting 1000mg calcium a day is very easy.

If I in particular needed more calcium, I would just find a method that delivered it well. Probably would increase consumption of fish with bones. I would also try foods like Moringa Oleifera or other similar greens that are high in calcium. If that didn't work for whatever reason, and I had ample funds, I would try to get a whole-food plant calcium supplement, or even those fancy supplements with ground up animal bones. If not, I would just use regular dirt-cheap calcium carbonate.

Well, I am the same boat as you, I can't handle dairy.
You kinda opened my mind a little bit and made me think more out of the box. My shallow mind immediately thinks about using a dirt-cheap calcium supplement. Never thought about fish bones besides from canned sardines. This is, I think it's legit to overcook fish bones from fresh fish to make them softer and consume them, right? I don't know if this was what you were mentioning. Perhaps you probably would just consume more canned sardines :P. The only problem is that I will not be able to know how much calcium I will be getting from those fish bones, unfortunately.
I have Coral Calcium, which is mostly Calcium Carbonated. However, I also know that is important to have a good Ca-Mg ratio, etc. So I'm always somewhat 'meh' about supplementing it alone. Some people say that Calcium Citrate is better to prevent kidney stones.

To finish the off topic, let me ask you a last question:
Since you seem to not consume a lot of greens, do you worry about not getting emough vitamin K in your diet? Unless you regularly consume nattos or you have another source to get it. Or perhaps it is just a thing you do not worry about it at all.

Djukami

Well, I totally agree with you. But, in my case, I remember being hungry in the morning. Then when I started to do IF, the hunger would come, but I would ignore it. Then, the hunger would be less and less intense until it disappeared completely. 6pm and no hunger at all. 8pm, nothing. The thing is that I've already read from IF folks that they have to force calories to be fine as you said. It works indeed, but eating without feeling hungry, just ruins everything. Of course, I was ending up chronic restricting calories, especially when beans were my 'favorite' food... And I didn't know how to count calories. I thought quantity was what mattered (ie. huge salads).
Unfortunately, I'm also a person that does not handle stress well. So IF wasn't really a good attempt to bring me more health. I did not know the correlation back then.
But someone who is healthy and knows his body very well, and it turns out a smooth experience, it really works. Also, perhaps having warm weather helps. Fasting in the winter, well, for me, it was not a good experience for sure.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

Never cared to measure body temperature and pulse consistently. Nothing out of the ordinary when I did (meaning normal close-to-37C and 60 bpm), and never seemed to be useful at telling me how well I was functioning.

2500kcal is easy to eat ...... far from non-stop eating. eg: cook 400g of noodles in 10 mins, add random protein source (usually instant), eat noodles in 5 mins, 1600kcal consumed. Snack your way to rest of calories.

I subscribe to, "Eat quickly; the stomach is a muscle". (I forget from whom this quote came from)

----

If some food is needed before bed for good sleep, then some food should be eaten. Minimum effective dose would be the ideal.

I don't think 400grams of noodles, which is certainly a whole slew of noodles, will be very appetizing unless your protein source is significantly fatty and your stomach is gigantic. Anyways I don't function optimally on starch, I'm definitely a sugar/fruit cat.

And I think that quote is actually from Bruce Lee. BTW he passed away from cancer when he was still a young man.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals