If Calcification Is The Root Of Hair Loss - How To Reverse It? (Magnesium , D, A, K2, Potassium)

About calcification of arteries:

The Strategy to Prevent and Regress the Vascular Calcification in Dialysis Patients
"..In addition to traditional cardiovascular risk factors such as diabetes mellitus and blood pressure control, other ESRD-related risks such as phosphate retention, excess calcium, and prolonged dialysis time also contribute to the development of vascular calcification. The strategies are to reverse “calcium paradox” and lower vascular calcification by decreasing procalcific factors including minimization of inflammation (through adequate dialysis and by avoiding malnutrition, intravenous labile iron, and positive calcium and phosphate balance), correction of high and low bone turnover, and restoration of anticalcification factor balance such as correction of vitamin D and K deficiency; .."

Calcium Paradox – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Calcium to Phosphorus Ratio of Vegetables and Fruits – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Elephanto

@General Orange I think that when low NO causes side effects, it's a sign that it is revealing dysfunctions within the system that were masked by NO being a crutch. For instance I've read reports of Methylene Blue (a potent NO scavenger) causing hypertension, but I've never had it happen with even very high doses I experimented with (75mg) which are much higher than the doses which might have caused hypertension or poor blood flow in some people. Some of these dysfunctions could be : mainly low CO2 levels (inadequate breathing, lack of glucose oxidation), Estrogen and Cortisol redirecting calcium from bones to tissues and lack of calcification-preventing substances, fat clogging arteries, high PUFAs intake slowing down metabolism, hypothyroidism in general, high levels of oxidative damage from high Iron levels/chronic inflammation/poor liver health and lack of antioxidants, and finally lack of physical movement. The last point is sometimes disregarded when people research the ideal systemic state, thinking that they should be able to have absolutely optimal health from diet and supps only even when long-term inactivity is present. We are supposed to move forward, both metaphorically and literally.

There are a lot of factors to address before someone can claim that low NO is a deteriorating factor regarding his/her health.

@Elephanto Thank you for your response.
That is interesting about the Methylene Blue. Im going to dig into that and the CO2 part and how that relates to metabolism.
Yes indeed a lot of factors to consider and look into. Like human growth hormone for vascular endothelial repair, which is pretty cool stuff.

Elephanto

@General Orange No prob. And yeah things like Arginine, Tryptophan depletion are probably not wise (they are essential amino acids after all), but it doesn't mean that reducing them can't have beneficial effects (or that it's realistic to reach depletion unless significantly long term high intake of competing Amino Acids is used). Reducing either will also improve mental health, as Nitric Oxide is linked to mania. Reducing Tryptophan and Iron (promoter of tryptophan hydroxylase) will also improve metabolism and thyroid activity (probably the main contributors to Tryptophan restriction's life-span enhancing effect). In general, avoiding an high protein intake is a good long-term strategy to reduce all the damaging Amino Acids (Arginine, Histidine, Cysteine, Tryptophan, Methionine), to reduce Phosphate Intake (limiting Parathyroid Hormone secretion) and improve Kidney health by having less Ammonia to process. Supplementing Taurine will help replacing the lower Methionine intake from which Taurine is a by-product. In some ways, we live in an era where the past trade-offs of mostly negative substances with necessary properties can be replaced. Another example, liver as a source of Vitamin A that is also one of the most important sources of Heme Iron and is generally high in metalloestrogens with many negative properties (Cadmium, Lead, Nickel) can be replaced by a Vit A supp, its choline by a Lecithin supplement or from caviar which I think has less negative features.

It releases glutamate (excicotoxic) :

Nitric Oxide causes glutamate release from brain synaptosomes

Mice with impaired Nitric Oxide synthesis haved reduced glutamate levels :
Additionally, nNOS−/− mice exhibit reduced neurodegeneration after cerebral ischemia, which may be because of reduced glutamate excitotoxicity (15, 16).

Also, several NMDA (neurotoxic, triggered by stress) receptor antagonists inhibit Nitric Oxide : Magnesium, Niacinamide, Zinc, Ketamine.

Nitric Oxide inhibition produces similar effects to NMDA antagonism :
nNOS inhibition promotes effects similar to those observed after NMDA antagonism [13,14].
Inhibition of the NMDA receptor/Nitric Oxide pathway in the dorsolateral periaqueductal gray causes anxiolytic-like effects in rats submitted to the Vogel conflict test

Stress Triggers But Magnesium Prevents Neurological Diseases

Dietary Nitrates Can Cause Mania After Just Two Weeks Of Consumption
Nitric Oxide (NO) May Be A Causative Factor In Schizophrenia

Last edited:
Hypothetically.
We could reduce nNOS and protect against Glutamic activity with Ashwagandha.
Dietary Nitrates are not an issue for they should neutralize with Vitamin C from food.

"There is a chain of events that occur after the switching of serotonergic signalling from 5-HT1A towards 5-HT2, as this modification is implicated in suppressing nNOS (and reducing nitric oxide formation), this enzyme being what causes an increase of corticosterone and subsequent memory loss[128] which ashwagandha is known to abrogate and is circumvented with additional nitric oxide.[134]"
Whatever causes the enhanced serotonergic signalling via 5-HT2 receptors ultimately prevents an excessive increase in nNOS and nitric oxide, which prevents excessive levels of corticosterone and thus exerts a neuroprotective and adaptogenic effect
Appears to have neuroprotective properties against glutamate-induced neurotoxicity, although it is unclear what mechanisms are at play and what molecules in ashwagandha mediate these effects

JDreamer

@General Orange No prob. And yeah things like Arginine, Tryptophan depletion are probably not wise (they are essential amino acids after all), but it doesn't mean that reducing them can't have beneficial effects (or that it's realistic to reach depletion unless significantly long term high intake of competing Amino Acids is used). Reducing either will also improve mental health, as Nitric Oxide is linked to mania. Reducing Tryptophan and Iron (promoter of tryptophan hydroxylase) will also improve metabolism and thyroid activity (probably the main contributors to Tryptophan restriction's life-span enhancing effect). In general, avoiding an high protein intake is a good long-term strategy to reduce all the damaging Amino Acids (Arginine, Histidine, Cysteine, Tryptophan, Methionine), to reduce Phosphate Intake (limiting Parathyroid Hormone secretion) and improve Kidney health by having less Ammonia to process. Supplementing Taurine will help replacing the lower Methionine intake from which Taurine is a by-product. In some ways, we live in an era where the past trade-offs of mostly negative substances with necessary properties can be replaced. Another example, liver as a source of Vitamin A that is also one of the most important sources of Heme Iron and is generally high in metalloestrogens with many negative properties (Cadmium, Lead, Nickel) can be replaced by a Vit A supp, its choline by a Lecithin supplement or from caviar which I think has less negative features.

Dietary Nitrates Can Cause Mania After Just Two Weeks Of Consumption
Nitric Oxide (NO) May Be A Causative Factor In Schizophrenia

When you say "high protein intake" how much do you mean? Do we have to avoid high intake or is there something we could do to counter it?

I'm an avid workout guy (3-4 days a week) and normally I consume 80-100g's a day (125g's max). There was a time about a year or so ago I was noticing an ammonia smell in my sweat in the groin/buttocks area. I decided to quit protein drinks and instead I started using Amino Acid drinks. The smell went away, but I have since migrated back to some protein drinks (usually 1 a day) and this time it's hyrdrolyzed whey.

Arrade

Ray Peat even likes high protein. I wasn't going to say anything but I don't think you should lower it

Arrade

@General Orange I have ashwagandha. personally I consider whether or not I should use it, but since it's pro thyroid I take it every 4 days
It increases serotonin and inhibits a brain chemical, by which it can lead to early alzheimers.

Elephanto

@Elephanto Excellent post, thank you.

Ah, shifting protein rich meat consumption towards low lectin legumes: beans and peas should help then.

Yes or to limit meat/dairy protein intake to smaller portions compared to the average North American diet. Soaked legumes would have other benefits, besides not having estrogenic phtalates like in eggs, chicken and fishes, anti-thyroid carnitine and heme iron in red meat, casomorphins/other opioid agonists in dairy and lower bioavailability of anti-androgenic dioxins than meat/dairy, they also have an high antioxidant potential, are good sources of rarer minerals like Molybdenum, Manganese, Magnesium, and have ER-Beta triggering properties (which is the main mechanism of anti-estrogens with efficacy against breast and prostate cancers). Interestingly also, Adzuki Beans might be the only legumes type besides red lentils that is considered Yang (warming, masculine) in TCM; it was considered a food for warriors and one of the most famed herbalists in TCM history called it "Grain of the Heart".

Ashwagandha is serotogenic, there are so many other strategies that have long-term effects on NO instead of temporary ones. Reaching high Zinc levels, decreasing Endotoxins and optimizing CO2 for instance. Ashwagandha, like most herbs, probably works in a bell curve, only having net beneficial effects on positively shifting the general health balance when used in moderation and occasionally or temporarily. They are not meant to be used daily in long-term. I have the same stance on using Cyproheptadine as a long-term Serotonin reduction strategy (which even Peat advices to only take for a few weeks) but people still advice it on here all the time as a main solution instead of using a systemic approach that doesn't cause sentisization of receptors.

@JDreamer Depends, it's hard to achieve the most benefits from Amino Acids restriction when also having the goal of potent muscle growth. In highly trained strength athletes there is no benefit past 1.8g/kg, which I consider high. I do well on around 45g of protein with very good muscle definition and strength for my size, but I'm a small guy so bigger guys would need a bit more. You can also use extra BCAA (also anabolic), Tyrosine/Phenylalanine and Lysine with protein sources to minimize some of the negative effects but not all. An high carbs intake (anabolic and glycogen being growth-inducing), lack of Insulin resistance, Lactic Acid reduction and focusing on Testosterone optimization will also bring you a long way toward muscle growth, strength and masculine features. Glycine is also anabolic (kind of on the fence about its effect on hair, I think I perceived a negative effect at times, maybe from its 5-alpha reductase enhancing property in 2-6g doses; as low as 500mg is sufficient for anti-inflammatory and TSH-reducing effects though)

@Arrade The thing is that I've only read from him hypotheses/suggestions that he didn't back with theoretical concepts and that from experimentation (and observation of healthy civilizations) drastically contrasts with said hypotheses, while on the other hand he has written a lot about the benefits of the restriction of certain Amino Acids regarding lifespan, metabolism, cognition, thyroid health and cancer that is very efficiently achieved with protein intake reduction. Even Gelatin is an higher source of Arginine than any other. Sometimes there is a contradiction between the theories he shares and the practical application he suggests, you seem to know to not blindly believe in dogmas.

Last edited:

Arrade

Yes or to limit meat/dairy protein intake to smaller portions compared to the average North American diet. Soaked legumes would have other benefits, besides not having estrogenic phtalates like in eggs, chicken and fishes, anti-thyroid carnitine and heme iron in red meat, casomorphins/other opioid agonists in dairy and lower bioavailability of anti-androgenic dioxins than meat/dairy, they also have an high antioxidant potential, are good sources of rarer minerals like Molybdenum, Manganese, Magnesium, and have ER-Beta triggering properties (which is the main mechanism of anti-estrogens with efficacy against breast and prostate cancers). Interestingly also, Adzuki Beans might be the only legumes type besides red lentils that is considered Yang (warming, masculine) in TCM; it was considered a food for warriors and one of the most famed herbalists in TCM history called it "Grain of the Heart".

Ashwagandha is serotogenic, there are so many other strategies that have long-term effects on NO instead of temporary ones. Reaching high Zinc levels, decreasing Endotoxins and optimizing CO2 for instance. Ashwagandha, like most herbs, probably works in a bell curve, only having net beneficial effects on positively shifting the general health balance when used in moderation and occasionally or temporarily. They are not meant to be used daily in long-term. I have the same stance on using Cyproheptadine as a long-term Serotonin reduction strategy (which even Peat advices to only take for a few weeks) but people still advice it on here all the time as a main solution instead of using a systemic approach that doesn't cause sentisization of receptors.

@JDreamer Depends, it's hard to achieve the most benefits from Amino Acids restriction when also having the goal of potent muscle growth. In highly trained strength athletes there is no benefit past 1.8g/kg, which I consider high. I do well on around 45g of protein with very good muscle definition and strength for my size, but I'm a small guy so bigger guys would need a bit more. You can also use extra BCAA (also anabolic), Tyrosine/Phenylalanine and Lysine with protein sources to minimize some of the negative effects but not all. An high carbs intake (anabolic and glycogen being growth-inducing), lack of Insulin resistance, Lactic Acid reduction and focusing on Testosterone optimization will also bring you a long way toward muscle growth, strength and masculine features. Glycine is also anabolic.

@Arrade The thing is that I've only read from him hypotheses/suggestions that he didn't back with theoretical concepts and that from experimentation (and observation of healthy civilizations) drastically contrasts with said hypotheses, while on the other hand he has written a lot about the benefits of the restriction of certain Amino Acids regarding lifespan, metabolism, cognition, thyroid health and cancer that is very efficiently achieved with protein intake reduction. Even Gelatin is an higher source of Arginine than any other. Sometimes there is a contradiction between the theories he shares and the practical application he suggests, you seem to know to not blindly believe in dogmas.
I'll have to learn more about these harmful Amino acids, this is my first time hearing about it. I'm not a huge follower of Peat I mainly read the forum.
The phlates could be avoided by buying organic meat with minimal plastic and pesticide exposure, correct? I understand the fat in the meat does lead to a high concentration but it is obviously coming from somewhere.
What I read about the opioids in dairy, correct me if I'm wrong, but that the opioids mainly serve to make you hungrier, it is not a true agonist that causes pain relief or mental effects like a drug. Also if you have good digestion for dairy the opioids are broken down into amino acids.
I can't argue with getting more minerals from plants.
I saved adzuki beans in my nutrition folder.
Dioxins are more complicated, another downside of toxins accumulating in animal fat.

I'm also not confident either way about the protein limit.
Two studies here show higher intake being preferable:
Dietary protein for athletes: from requirements to optimum adaptation. - PubMed - NCBI
Increased protein intake reduces lean body mass loss during weight loss in athletes. - PubMed - NCBI

I'll read more about the toxic amino acids. It'll be helpful if you have links to this?

So far half the issue with protein can be avoided with organic intake, though as I read you're making a good case

Arrade

"Another study of weightlifters over a 3 month period, with the protein increased from 2.2g/kg/day to 3.5 g/kg/ day, resulted in a 6% increase in muscle mass and a 5% increase in strength (3)."
How Much Protein?

I can't find the link to that study, but it may be the case of frequent weightlifters higher protein is profitable. I'll have to look more, from what I understand on steroid forums
2grams/lb bodyweight was the limit if not a little above for profit

@Elephanto @Arrade Oh sorry, I forgot you are scared of serotonin effects in the brain? You know, upregulating serotonin receptors will have a lower impact of the same inflow of serotonin, therefore reducing serotonins effects. And Shifting HT1 to HT2 is favorable for neuroprotection and ejaculation latency. "Ashwagandha is serotogenic" thereby doesnt mean anything.

Arrade

@Elephanto @Arrade Oh sorry, I forgot you are scared of serotonin effects in the brain? You know, upregulating serotonin receptors will have a lower impact of the same inflow of serotonin, therefore reducing serotonins effects. And Shifting HT1 to HT2 is favorable for neuroprotection and ejaculation latency. "Ashwagandha is serotogenic" thereby doesnt mean anything.
I am IGNORANT of the HT1 vs T2 stuff. I believe it, I imagine since you make serotonin that your body does need a certain form of it in healthy amounts.
You’re coming off kind of viscious here, frankly I only mentioned the serotonin because of my own trepidation.
But the fact you’re pretty sarcastic right now would show excessive serotonin.
Also I think the upregulating would do the opposite and allow more reception of it

I have found a relevant listing and explanation behind of other Traditional Chinese Medicinal herbs that can help pretect against NO - Glutamic exitotoxicity that might interest you:
link

A large group of botanicals have shown specific neuro-protective actions, including NMDA antagonist capabilities, inhibition of calcium channel influx, as well as inhibition of cell programed death.

• Constituents of Cat’s Claw (uncaria tomentosa) – have shown to possess NMDA inhibitive qualities
  • Lycopodii Serrati (Jin Bu Huan, or Chinese Club Moss) – possesses potent NMDA-inhibitive actions (20, 21)
  • Radix Polygalae (Yuan Zhi) – reduces microglial inflammation, reduces excitotoxicity-related cell death, sedative effects, contains tenuifolin, which inhibits beta amyloid peptides (associated with Alzheimer’s) (22, 23)
  • Ramulus Uncariae cum Uncis (Gou teng or Uncaria rhynchophylla) – NMDA inhibitor, used traditionally for convulsive disorders in Chinese medicine (24)
  • Gastrodia rhizome – Reduces NMDA release, increases GABA induction, reduce excitotoxicity. Used in Traditional Chinese medicine to treat stroke, epilepsy, dementia (25, 26)
  • Radix Glycyrrhizae (Licorice root) – inhibits calcium channel excitotoxic response, inhibition of apoptosis (cell-programmed death) (28)
  • Radix Ginseng (Ginseng root) – Block NMDA-induced current, inhibits calcium influx, contains neuro-protectant notoginsenoside, reduction in excitotoxicity-related cell death (27)
  • Gingko biloba – Neuro-protectant, contains NMDA-inhibitors such as Bilobalide, protects from Ischemic brain injury, potent antioxidant effects (29, 30, 31)
  • Radix Scrophulariae (common carpet beetle, Xuan shen) – Inhibits calcium response, reduction in ROS’s, protects against excitotoxicity-related cell death (32)

Elephanto

@Arrade The different amounts of optimal protein intake found could be due to many factors like unsufficient carbs intake, the stressing mechanisms of eccentric exercises , lack of protective factors toward Lactic Acid accumulation etc. This is where I got this number : https://image.ibb.co/hP8CKe/Protein_intake_vs_muscle_synthesis.png (0.9g/kg in sedentary individuals and 1.3g/kg in endurance athletes). But yeah, if your goal is truly maximal muscle growth, a trade-off must happen. As for links regarding Amino Acids, you can find them easily on this forum and Peat's website from searching on google but I'll list some later. I've also already posted several ones, like everything about Nitric Oxide can be applied to Arginine.

And no, the opioid agonists in dairy behave like true ones. They release Histamine and Prolactin among other effects. Autism has been defined as similar to the effects of morphine in children and the avoidance of Gluten and Dairy opioid peptides significantly ameliorates cognitive symptoms.

@General Orange You will find negative effects for all of them where net benefits are lost when consumption is too frequent. Please search it yourself if you don't believe me, it will be long to list with references added. There are many strategies you can adopt before relying on herbs for NO reduction.

Last edited:
I am IGNORANT of the HT1 vs T2 stuff. I believe it, I imagine since you make serotonin that your body does need a certain form of it in healthy amounts.
You’re coming off kind of viscious here, frankly I only mentioned the serotonin because of my own trepidation.
But the fact you’re pretty sarcastic right now would show excessive serotonin.
Also I think the upregulating would do the opposite and allow more reception of it
Im being confrontational aggressive. :D
You cannot possibly "tele-identify" someones neurotransmitter profile by interpreting someones messages that have somewhat aggressive and confrontational form and then stigmatizing them with "serotonin dominant" stereotype seems delusional to me. Probably because of the influence of misinterpreted stories about serotonin neurotransmitter levels theory back traceable to SSRI drug companies mixed with one of Peats articles about LSD and serotonin.

Neuro receptor upregulation (more input needed for the same effects) is not the same as enzyme upregulation (more effectiveness)

@Elephanto
@General Orange You will find negative effects for all of them where net benefits are lost when consumption is too frequent. Please search it yourself if you don't believe me, it will be long to list with references added. There are many strategies you can adopt before relying on herbs for NO reduction.
Which are? :D

Elephanto

@General Orange
You know, upregulating serotonin receptors will have a lower impact of the same inflow of serotonin, therefore reducing serotonins effects.
That's literally false, desentisization or downregulation of Serotonin receptors reduce Serotonin's effects.

And Shifting HT1 to HT2 is favorable for neuroprotection and ejaculation latency.
5-HT2 receptors produce Serotonin's most damaging effects and some 5-HT1 receptors actually have a limiting effect on Serotonin.
Inhibiting Serotonin During Protein Feeding Doubles Maximum Lifespan
5-ht2 Receptor Antagonist Useful In Treating Venous Conditions.
Serotonin As The Cause Of Acute Pancreatitis
Cortisol And Serotonin Are Causative Agents In (male) Liver Cancer
An Anti-serotonin, Pro-dopamine Drugs May Treat Systemic Sclerosis
Serotonin Causes Liver Cancer And Metastases In Colon Cancer
(all studies specifically on 5-HT2 receptors)
Enzyme to Know: Tryptophan Hydroxylase – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging (Serotonin increases cortisol)
@Arrade Those are studies you can read to learn about Tryptophan since it is the main precursor of Serotonin from its conversion by tryptophan hydroxylase (also potentiated by Iron, Estrogen, Stress).

5-HT1A Receptor Agonists May Treat Malaria
Dopamine and dopamine agonists inhibit serotonin synthesis

But even 5-HT1 receptors can inhibit dopamine synthesis.

edit : General, please read these articles from beginning to end before continuing this debate as it will save us some time.
Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging
Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation
Serotonin, depression, and aggression - The problem of brain energy.
Enzyme to Know: Tryptophan Hydroxylase – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Intestinal Serotonin and Bone Loss – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Maternal Ingestion of Tryptophan and Cancer Risk in Female Offspring – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Hypothyroidism and Serotonin – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Serotonin, Fatigue, Training, and Performance – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Last edited:
@Elephanto
I have experienced downregulated serotonin receptors first hand, from MDMA abuse. And when downregulated, the inflow of serotonin will have an increased effect. Hence when an increased inflow of serotonin (agonist) is detected, the receptors will get downregulated so the net activity will be less, for the brain want to get in homeostasis. Afterwards stopping the increased inflow / drug there are less receptor and can be activated by just a little serotonin.
But if you apply serotonin antagonist the receptors will upregulate and increase in density, that afterwards more infow of serotonin is needed for an effect.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals