Hesperidin in 1 glass of orange juice reverses sarcopenia, lowers inflammation, & restores IGF-1 (age related muscle loss)

cs3000

Cool research as OJ is commonly accessible, nice effect on restoring igf-1 lowering inflammation and reversing muscle loss in aging (and probably myelin repair for brain function too), and its effect is in already aged mice so can be taken later in life for this health boost

1 250ml glass of orange juice has ~80mg of hesperidin. citrus flavanoids start to inhibit thyroid when you get into the 100s of milligrams, but low doses have health benefits too

Study is ~50mg - 60mg hesperidin human equivalent daily:
young mice (3–6 months, YM) and old mice (22–24 months, OM) were orally administered HES (5 or 10 mg/kg/day) for 8 weeks.

Hesperidin Ameliorates Sarcopenia through the Regulation of Inflammaging and the AKT/mTOR/FoxO3a Signaling Pathway in 22–26-Month-Old Mice

1694290478304.png
<-- cross sectional area / size of muscle fiber. gets restored a lot closer to youth level. and the young mice saw a boost too

1694290679422.png
<-- prevents strength decline with aging & it improves. improves in young mice too

1694290845562.png
<-- muscle mass improves visibly

1694290913122.png
<-- igf-1 levels return to near youth levels (main factor in muscle repair isn't testosterone/androgens its more igf-1 based, lokzo put out a youtube vid on this recently. igf-1 also plays a role in myelin which is key for brain function)

1694291559593.png
<-- lowers pro-inflammatory m1 macrophages back to youth levels

We studied 22–26-month-old mice, corresponding to humans aged ≥70 years, with aging-related sarcopenia, and young mice aged 3–6 months. The daily administration of HES for 8 weeks resulted in greater muscle mass and strength and increased the fiber size of the old mice.

HES also restored the immune homeostasis that had been disrupted by aging, such as the imbalance in M1/M2 macrophage ratio.

In addition, we found that HES ameliorated the sarcopenia by regulating AKT/mammalian target of rapamycin/forkhead box 3a signaling through an increase in insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 expression in the old mice.

Therefore, HES represents a promising candidate inhibitor of sarcopenia in older people, and its effects are achieved through the maintenance of immune homeostasis.

However, the 8-week treatment with HES not only prevented the decrease in grip strength, but also steadily increased the muscle strength of the OM HES5 and OM HES10 groups. In addition, the YM HES10 group showed a slight increase in grip strength

We found that the masses of the QUA and GAS muscles of the OM Ctrl group were significantly lower than those in the YM group, but these were dose-dependently increased by 5 and 10 mg/kg/day HES
Thus, the weight loss accompanying the muscle loss and the reduction in muscle strength that occurred in the OM Ctrl group were suppressed by 8 weeks of HES administration, indicating that HES ameliorates sarcopenia in old mice.

, the percentage of M0/M1 macrophages was higher in the OM Ctrl group than in the YM Ctrl group, whereas those of M2c and M2a macrophages were low. HES treatment also tended to reduce or eliminate these differences in the populations of the M1, M2c, and M2a macrophages in the old mice

The proportion of CD86+CD206− cells, defined as M2 macrophages, showed no statistically significant difference between all groups. The greater abundance of macrophages in the OM Ctrl group, and especially that of M1 macrophages, is indicative of the development of inflammaging in the old mice. To further confirm this, the serum concentrations of pro-inflammatory cytokines that are secreted by macrophages were measured. We found that the serum concentrations of IL-6, IL-1β, and TNF-α, which are secreted by M1 macrophages, were much higher in the OM Ctrl group than in the YM group, but HES treatment reduced the concentrations of all three (Figure 3E). Taken together with the above findings, this suggests that HES ameliorates sarcopenia in old mice by ameliorating inflammaging, which causes muscle loss through effects on the macrophage population.
& Values (in Newton) of Muscle strength of patients, reported as mean ± standard deviation

Last edited:

Mauritio

Great study! Thanks for sharing.
Its pretty solid that all these benefits occured in just 8 weeks.
I suspect that hesperidin was also able to rescue to age related decline in testosterone, as grip strength is related to testosterone levels (Examining the association between grip strength and testosterone - PubMed.).

Also: hesperidin levls in OJ can vary greatly , so by using one brand you might just have to drink one glass ,unsing another you might have to drink 3 or even 4 glasses. But that is not a deal breaker as 5 and 10mg/kg were both effective ,so even if you drink twice the amount it shouldnt hurt.
- Characterization and Differentiation of Fresh Orange Juice Variety Based on Conventional Physicochemical Parameters, Flavonoids, and Volatile Compounds Using Chemometrics(

Very interesting! Could using an orange essential oil make it easier to find risperidin or look for an extract directly?

OP
cs3000

cs3000

Great study! Thanks for sharing.
Its pretty solid that all these benefits occured in just 8 weeks.
I suspect that hesperidin was also able to rescue to age related decline in testosterone, as grip strength is related to testosterone levels (Examining the association between grip strength and testosterone - PubMed.).

Also: hesperidin levls in OJ can vary greatly , so by using one brand you might just have to drink one glass ,unsing another you might have to drink 3 or even 4 glasses. But that is not a deal breaker as 5 and 10mg/kg were both effective ,so even if you drink twice the amount it shouldnt hurt.
- Characterization and Differentiation of Fresh Orange Juice Variety Based on Conventional Physicochemical Parameters, Flavonoids, and Volatile Compounds Using Chemometrics(
np yeah impressive result. probably does that too as igf-1 can stimulate testosterone production , igf1 is more important than androgens when it comes to muscle repair / protein synthesis but they have synergistic effects
Testosterone and Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF) I Interact in Controlling IGF-Binding Protein Production in Androgen-Responsive Foreskin Fibroblasts1 <---
The most interesting finding of this study was true synergism in the stimulation of protein synthesis by fibroblasts in response to testosterone/IGF-I. Increasing concentrations of testosterone up to 1000 nM had no effect on the protein synthesis response of these cells, but if IGF-I was added a testosterone concentration as low as 10 nM stimulated protein synthesis. Furthermore, the maximum effect that could be obtained with IGF-I was potentiated by testosterone, indicating a true synergism in the protein synthesis response
(@Lokzo posted a vid recently showing older aged men on anti-androgens can still make decent muscle gains, probably because they had good igf-1 levels still)

aye good point about the variation. probs best to supplement for dialled in amount, but if not, bit wary of drinking too much because of action of thyroid but studies are mixed on that, but 1 glass or so daily should see a nice benefit,
Very interesting! Could using an orange essential oil make it easier to find risperidin or look for an extract directly?
im using extract from swanson with a 1/64 teaspoon spoon, flat scoop is ~20mg i think so 3x flat scoops

going too high could start to inhibit thyroid , hesperidin doesnt effect it as much as naringinin
1694331915400.png
they didn't test fT3 but with naringenin ~150mg human dose thyroid was decently inhibited. Hesperidin t4 level was higher than controls but tsh elevated a bit. so probably optimal to stay ~60mg
Hormonal and inflammatory modulatory effects of hesperidin in hyperthyroidism-modeled rats in this one hesperedin lowered excess t3 in hyperthyroid , but vs normal controls it didn't have an effect on thyroid levels. and thats higher dose than the first so idk the reasons for different results. could be hesperidin just doesnt have effect here or adjusts, vs naringenin. but 60mg all thats needed anyway

Last edited:

ddjd

Is it fair to say the quality and quantity of flavonoids in regular store bought cartons of OJ are pathetic compared to freshly squeezed oranges done by hand?

Ras

frannybananny

np yeah impressive result. probably does that too as igf-1 can stimulate testosterone production , igf1 is more important than androgens when it comes to muscle repair / protein synthesis but they have synergistic effects
Testosterone and Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF) I Interact in Controlling IGF-Binding Protein Production in Androgen-Responsive Foreskin Fibroblasts1 <---

(@Lokzo posted a vid recently showing older aged men on anti-androgens can still make decent muscle gains, probably because they had good igf-1 levels still)

aye good point about the variation. probs best to supplement for dialled in amount, but if not, bit wary of drinking too much because of action of thyroid but studies are mixed on that, but 1 glass or so daily should see a nice benefit,

im using extract from swanson with a 1/64 teaspoon spoon, flat scoop is ~20mg i think so 3x flat scoops

going too high could start to inhibit thyroid , hesperidin doesnt effect it as much as naringinin
View attachment 55304 they didn't test fT3 but with naringenin ~150mg human dose thyroid was decently inhibited. Hesperidin t4 level was higher than controls but tsh elevated a bit. so probably optimal to stay ~60mg
Hormonal and inflammatory modulatory effects of hesperidin in hyperthyroidism-modeled rats in this one hesperedin lowered excess t3 in hyperthyroid , but vs normal controls it didn't have an effect on thyroid levels. and thats higher dose than the first so idk the reasons for different results. could be hesperidin just doesnt have effect here or adjusts, vs naringenin. but 60mg all thats needed anyway
Hesperidin is a phytoestrogen... I guess it's a trade-off for muscle strength.

OP
cs3000

cs3000

Hesperidin is a phytoestrogen... I guess it's a trade-off for muscle strength.

frannybananny

Hey thank you for all that info! I needed that!

Osukhan

so what was the consensus here, 50-60mg total dose? or 5-10mg/kg/day? as i looked at supplements online some of the pills were 250-500mg dose, and the powder i have from bulk supp shows a dose of 250mg per 1/5 tsp

kaybb

Excellent info. I started a homemade sherbet smoothie before swim class. I’m older and the muscle gain has been very obvious.

sunny

Excellent info. I started a homemade sherbet smoothie before swim class. I’m older and the muscle gain has been very obvious.
Can you share your sherbet smoothie recipe? Would you describe your muscle gain? Had you made any other changes that would facilitate the same? Thank you. 😊

kaybb

Can you share your sherbet smoothie recipe? Would you describe your muscle gain? Had you made any other changes that would facilitate the same? Thank you. 😊
Sure.
I use approx 2 cups Orange juice (Uncle Matt’s brand in USA)
Then about 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk.
Blend and freeze. You can slightly thaw it before eating.
I have been making it in a Ninja Creamie lately.

Muscle gain has been in my quads, core & some bicep strength. I don’t look a lot different but I am stronger, and have lost about 10 lbs. I work hard in swim class. Hope this helps

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom